12-month mid-career programs

samiam

Short version: which public policy schools have good one-year mid-career programs?  Bonus if their applications for this year haven't closed yet.

Long version:

I put several applications for MPP and MPA programs late last year on a "we'll see what happens" basis.  As the process has gone on, I've decided I really want to do this, and am looking for more options.

I am ideally interested in the 12-month courses, primarily for financial reasons but also because I'd rather spend the second year working/interning than doing classroom study.  I have nine years of directly relevant public policy work experience so I'm eligible for most of them. I'm only interested in domestic policy, not international / development stuff.

I've got applications in for the HKS, WWS and Georgetown mid-career programs (as well as the SIPA, NYU Wagner and LSE two-year programs, although I'm not sure that I'd accept any of those).  I'm now thinking I should do a few more last minute applications to lower-ranked schools that still have rolling deadlines, as backups.

So: are there other schools I should be thinking about that have good one-year programs?  

(I know that Maxwell at Syracuse does, but I ruled that out due to a combination of location (I'm not a small-town kind of person) and zero name-recognition in my home country.)

Even if their deadlines have closed, feel free to suggest places - this thread might be useful for others in future, as it's not easy to find info about the mid-career programs.

My background: First Class Honours from a top school in my home country (developed English-speaking nation) but not in a relevant field; a Graduate Certificate in public policy with OK but not great results (studied part time while working fulltime); 9 years of work experience in prestigious government and think-tank roles; co-founder of two not-for-profits; GRE: 170V 158Q 6.5W; great professional recs but no academic recs.

Hello, your description brings the national urban fellows program to mind. I pasted the description from their website below (more info at www.nuf.org). I think their deadline already passed though...I also think UC Denver has a good one-year MPA program through their Institute of Public Policy Studies. They are still accepting applications.

National Urban Fellows’ Academic & Leadership Development Fellowship Program is a rigorous, 14-month, full-time graduate degree program comprising four semesters of academic course work and a nine-month Mentorship assignment. During their Mentorship, Fellows complete course work via distance learning. Fellows receive a $25,000 stipend, health insurance, a book allowance, relocation and travel reimbursement, full payment of tuition, and professional leadership development.  Additionally, Fellows are required to make a $5,000 co-investment to their National Urban Fellows experience.

The program culminates in a Master of Public Administration (MPA) degree from the City of New York's Bernard M. Baruch College, School of Public Affairs. An MPA degree is awarded to Fellows upon completion of all academic and program requirements.  Following graduation, Fellows become part of a prestigious group of well over 1,400 diverse public service leaders who have gone on to assume influential positions across government, philanthropic and nonprofit sectors. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Samiam,

A great program out there for mid-career professionals is GMAP at the Fletcher School. It's a low residency program for working professionals (you go to 3 residencies that are 2 weeks long each). As far as I now, it's the only program of its kind in the world and it's at a top ranked school. I can vouch for the quality of the program and its participants. Here is a link to it: http://fletcher.tufts.edu/GMAP. 

Your work experience and background makes it sound like you could be a great fit for it.

Cheers 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, your description brings the national urban fellows program to mind. I pasted the description from their website below (more info at www.nuf.org). I think their deadline already passed though...I also think UC Denver has a good one-year MPA program through their Institute of Public Policy Studies. They are still accepting applications.

National Urban Fellows looks great - but requires US citizenship, which I don't have.   I'm looking into the MPA Accelerated program at UC Denver.

A great program out there for mid-career professionals is GMAP at the Fletcher School. It's a low residency program for working professionals (you go to 3 residencies that are 2 weeks long each). As far as I now, it's the only program of its kind in the world and it's at a top ranked school. I can vouch for the quality of the program and its participants. Here is a link to it: http://fletcher.tufts.edu/GMAP. 

Thanks for this. It does look like an interesting program, but it's an international affairs program and my field is domestic policy, so it's not for me.