How are my GRE scores?

MastersHoping

Hi everyone,

So I took the GRE without any prep (other than two practice exams just to see how I would score) and got 163 v 162 q and 5.0 writing.

How are these scores for masters programs in a humanities field (specifically east Asian studies).

Would they be seen as competitive for a fellowship at top places? Are they high enough that they can at least partially compensate for my low GPA (about 3.35 at the time of application, but from a very reputable undergrad institution).

If it was a PHD program, I might take them over, but a Masters degree would probably be okay.  If I had a month or longer, however, to get the app in, I might prep and take them one more time, since you got those scores without prepping.  Really your choice.  

Thanks guys!

So scores like these aren't high enough for a Ph.D program? Or are you saying that it would  simply be a good idea to study and retake it to get better scores since I didn't study the first time around? 

And is my GPA really that low? :( 

Edited by MastersHoping

Thanks guys!

So scores like these aren't high enough for a Ph.D program? Or are you saying that it would simply be a good idea to study and retake it to get better scores since I didn't study the first time around?

And is my GPA really that low? :(

Your gpa is right where my undergrad gpa was. It is low but not super low. I think anything above a 3.0 can be made up for by research and SOP .

I personally think your scores are right where they should be so I think that focusing energy on getting good grades this semester or getting further in your research would be more helpful. Research, SOP, and LORs get you into a program. Grades and GPA are just a cut off usually. Your numbers should definitely put you above any cut off.

Thanks for the reassurance! 

I think my S.O.P. is good :),  but since I'm applying for masters and don't intend to do research in the future I don't have much research to speak of. 

Unfortunately, my recs are probably very average :(

Does the reputation of my undergrad make up for the GPA at least a teensie little bit? O:) 

Edited by MastersHoping

Yes probably a bit. I don't think your gpa is low enough to raise red flags anyway.

I'll be in the opposite situation when I apply for phd programs. I'm getting my masters at a pretty unknown school but with straight As. I'm hoping the grades make up for the fact that they may not recognize the school name.

Hmmm my major GPA (not listed anywhere) is around 3.7. 

The last two years, I'm not actually sure haha. There is a general upward trend in my transcript, but a few dips still along the way (I would have a higher GPA but personal relationship issues got in the way during my 3rd year arghhh oh well can't change that now). 

Thanks for the reassurance! 

I think my S.O.P. is good :),  but since I'm applying for masters and don't intend to do research in the future I don't have much research to speak of. 

Unfortunately, my recs are probably very average :(

Does the reputation of my undergrad make up for the GPA at least a teensie little bit? O:) 

An admissions committee can best answer these questions. It all depends on the program, not (unfortunately) our opinions.