Extenuating circumstances- applying for Masters with a low GPA

econaut89

Hi guys,

This is my first time posting in a forum, so apologies in advance for not following any form of forum etiquette.

I have a Bachelor's Degree with a double major in Economics and Political Science from the University of Toronto (Class of 2014). I had applied as an international student from Dubai. I'm currently in the midst of job applications, but plan on applying for a Masters in Economics program within a couple of years.

Here's the catch- my GPA is 2.36 on a 4.0 scale. I have been monitoring other forum threads and am aware that this lowers my grad school prospects to almost zero.

However, I wasn't well during my undergraduate education. After completing my first year, I was diagnosed with a major illness. Because of this, I had to take a year off university for treatment and supervision of my medication's side effects. Furthermore, the medication (to be used for five years) was a severe drain on my financial resources, so I had to face the possibility of quitting my undergrad at the drop of a hat.

The extreme side effects and anxiety placed a severe strain on my physical and mental health. However, I endeavored to complete my courses to the best of my abilities. My treatment is now complete and I do not need to take the medication anymore.

This thread isn't meant to be a pity-fest, so here are the extracurriculars I was active in. I served as a delegate for Economics and International Relations based conferences held at Harvard and UCL. Over the summer, I have done finance internships in respectable organizations. Furthermore, I was involved with the Model UN scene in the university.

How much of a chance do I have at a Masters in Economics (or MBA as an alternative) in reputable universities in the UK and US? I am currently in talks with a boutique investment bank for acquiring either a research or front-office based role, and plan on doing my GRE soon as well.

Thanks for listening!

Can you go back and re-take any courses at Toronto? A lot of programs have a minimum GPA requirement that you need to meet to even be considered. If not, is there any diploma programs that you can enroll in? Completing a few courses and getting good grades will show that your previous grades were actually a result of the extenuating circumstances. In the meantime, keep gaining professional experience in your field and attending conferences.

Honestly, your chances aren't very good. You may be able to get in eventually, but you'll need to do a lot of work to make up for that GPA.

Edited by vityaz

Can you go back and re-take any courses at Toronto? A lot of programs have a minimum GPA requirement that you need to meet to even be considered. If not, is there any diploma programs that you can enroll in? Completing a few courses and getting good grades will show that your previous grades were actually a result of the extenuating circumstances. In the meantime, keep gaining professional experience in your field and attending conferences.

Honestly, your chances aren't very good. You may be able to get in eventually, but you'll need to do a lot of work to make up for that GPA.

re-taking courses at UofT is out of the question due to financial constraints, especially since I am an international student.

I will look for some diploma courses within Dubai though, while applying for jobs at the same time.

What is the average GPA in U of Toronto? Is it a rough University with rough programmes? If they answer is yes you might have a chance.

Yeah the average GPA is a C. This is generally maintained through a combination of hard tests, strict grading, and the dreaded bell-curve. UofT is already known as one of the hardest academic institutions in North America, and Economics is one of the hardest programs within the university.