International Programs

Eddie Kant

So, after a few rejection letters, I have decided to expand my horizons by looking into programs abroad, particularly in Europe. This also makes sense because I am interested in continental philosophy and the programs that specialize in that are limited in the US. My question is, does anyone know of any programs overseas that are conducted in English? Also, and I'm sure this depends on the country and the institution, but can anyone give me a general sense of what the funding for international students is in say Europe? I would appreciate any input and direction to other resources. Thanks!

Well, there's the UK. For continental there, look to Warwick. There are a few programs in Scandinavia where English is the language of instruction, but I don't think they're particularly continental. Maybe there are a couple in the Netherlands?

Funding is very, very hard to come by, especially if you're not an EU resident. You'll find some PhD studentships announced on http://www.jobs.ac.uk, and others get announced from time to time on the Philos-L listserve.

I have an MSc from a European university.  I can't help much with programs in continental philosophy, but I do know that it is very difficult to get funding for Master's-level programs if you're an international student (here, by "international," I mean "non-EU").  The reason is simple:  these programs make a lot of money through international students and they don't usually want to sacrifice it, no matter how good the student might be.  That said, I had an amazing time and got to meet a lot of really smart people and really great philosophers all while spending time in one of the coolest cities in the world.  It was expensive, but I would do it all over again if given the chance.  

Pretty much the only sources of funding are going be the big scholarship competitions (Fulbright, Marshall, Gates Cambridge, Rhodes, etc.).  But those deadlines have passed by now, I'm sure.  

If you're interested in a Ph.D, then that probably changes the funding situation a bit, but I don't know enough about it to speak to it.  

Essex has a really good program in Continental philosophy. Actually, I think you can still apply there for this admission cycle. The deadlines for applying for funding already passed, however. They also request a very detailed plan of study to accompany your application. As opposed to U.S. programs, it seems that UK programs require you to have a better idea of what it is exactly that you want to study even before you get into grad school.

It should be noted that a Ph.D in the UK, at least, is generally only a dissertation (no coursework).  They normally require that a student have a research Master's degree before moving on to the Ph.D.  That's why doctoral applications require such detailed research proposals:  you're expected to have a dissertation idea already because that's what you're doing from day one.  

• 3 weeks later...

It should be noted that a Ph.D in the UK, at least, is generally only a dissertation (no coursework).  They normally require that a student have a research Master's degree before moving on to the Ph.D.  That's why doctoral applications require such detailed research proposals:  you're expected to have a dissertation idea already because that's what you're doing from day one.  

This is not quite accurate. I believe some UK graduate programs involve at least 1 year of course work, LSE is one example and I am sure there are more. This would more apporopriately be the 'mphil/Phd' route  (1+3)  which is the norm in the UK I believe.  One exception to this is Oxford's Dphil which requires the equivalent of the 2 year bphil. - but yes there does seem to be more emphasis on your 'research proposal' than in the US, in my experience. I applied to both US and UK depts, including interviews with the UK ones.