What would you do?

EngineerGrad

Hi guys so let me explain my situation: i am very interested in this phd program and i have relatively good stats considering it is not a top tier school. It is not in the top 30, but I still would love to attend it.

I have first emailed my POIs from this schools around july and since then we have been in contact. Shortly after submitting my application (back in november), I visited the school's campus, and met with the professors I am interested im working with. The interviews went great and I came back home. During those interviews, the professor told me that there is an event for prospective grad students held in late-february, early-march. Last month I emailed the responsible for the grad admissions asking about the event and that I was interested in attending. He sent me the agenda of the event and haven't said anything since then.

I emailed him 10-15 days ago asking if he needed any additional information, and he said that I already have a hotel room for the visit. He gave me the hotel name and time that I should be there. The event, however, is coming up in a week from now and I haven't heard anything official about it. I mean, no email, no phone call, nothing.

I don't want to keep emailing them asking for more information... What would you do in my situation? Am i just freaking out for no reason?

Not necessarily, apparently! I just got the itinerary for the school I'm visiting this coming Sunday-Monday, and it doesn't tell me which professors I'll be meeting with. The most organized of the universities so far sent me an individualized schedule six days before the interview date.

I don't really know where the line lays, but we definitely aren't talking about an MIT...

Engineergrad, I salute you for being so proactive about your admissions to this particular university, whichever one it is. I never thought to contact anybody at my top school and perhaps now it is too late. I think you are doing everything you can to get into this school, and hopefully your effort will pay off, although nothing is certain, and admissions committees can be very unpredictable. Don't worry about not hearing anything official, just go to the event and be honest and forthright about why you want to go there. If this is your top choice, or a choice you really want, then your interest and enthusiasm will show through. Good luck! (Part of me is wondering whether I shouldn't contact certain professors at my schools, though I wouldn't know what to say.

Engineergrad, I salute you for being so proactive about your admissions to this particular university, whichever one it is. I never thought to contact anybody at my top school and perhaps now it is too late. I think you are doing everything you can to get into this school, and hopefully your effort will pay off, although nothing is certain, and admissions committees can be very unpredictable. Don't worry about not hearing anything official, just go to the event and be honest and forthright about why you want to go there. If this is your top choice, or a choice you really want, then your interest and enthusiasm will show through. Good luck! (Part of me is wondering whether I shouldn't contact certain professors at my schools, though I wouldn't know what to say.

logos0516, thank you!

I have indeed put a lot more into this particular school's admissions process. I live in a different state, so I had to drive up there just to talk with my POIs for 1.5 hour. It was worth it, I got to know them and their research, so I was pleased with my decision (though it meant driving 9 hours each way, paying my own gas and hotel room).

I don't know if contacting professors right now would be of much good for you. You may come across as desperate (which your probably are, because I am, and I know the feeling). This is not an impression you want to cause, and that is the main reason I decided to come to this forum and ask what to do. I do not want to keep emailing them every 10 days... Otherwise I will come across as needy. 

What you could do is read some of your POI's papers and maybe send them some comments? I don't know how to approach it at this stage of the game...

logos0516, thank you!

I have indeed put a lot more into this particular school's admissions process. I live in a different state, so I had to drive up there just to talk with my POIs for 1.5 hour. It was worth it, I got to know them and their research, so I was pleased with my decision (though it meant driving 9 hours each way, paying my own gas and hotel room).

I don't know if contacting professors right now would be of much good for you. You may come across as desperate (which your probably are, because I am, and I know the feeling). This is not an impression you want to cause, and that is the main reason I decided to come to this forum and ask what to do. I do not want to keep emailing them every 10 days... Otherwise I will come across as needy. 

What you could do is read some of your POI's papers and maybe send them some comments? I don't know how to approach it at this stage of the game...

EngineerGrad, right about the time I should be relaxing for bed, I am percolating with new ideas. I agree you don't want to come off as desperate, so an email communication should be worded *Very* carefully, and be brief and to the point. Don't make it seem like you have an agenda, that you want something from them. I might say something like "Dear PRofessor X, "I am a current applicant to NAME OF UNIVERSITY, and while my chances of getting in are probably slim at this spoint, I wanted to say I enjoyed reading your works in graduate school, in particular article (A) and article/book B. It would be great to study with you if it become a reality. Too bad the school doesn't have an interview process in which I could participate. That would (i hope) shed more light on my interest in your university and my scholarly readiness to study there. Sincerely, Logos0516

logos0516, thank you!

MAybe what you're saying EngineerGrad is writing to them now, at this stage of the process, would send the wrong impression, given i've already sent in my applications. Maybe they would see it as too....calculating? too....disingenuous? These are all possible, and I don't want to come across that way. SO I'll have to refrain now for the time being from approaching it any further.

MAybe what you're saying EngineerGrad is writing to them now, at this stage of the process, would send the wrong impression, given i've already sent in my applications. Maybe they would see it as too....calculating? too....disingenuous? These are all possible, and I don't want to come across that way. SO I'll have to refrain now for the time being from approaching it any further.

I would never say that "my chances are slim!" Come on! You have to sell yourself. I would go with something like this:

"Hi Dr. X,

Since University Y doesn't have an interview process, I haven't had the chance to meet you in person yet. I have, however, been reading a couple of your recently published articles, and I was particularly drawn by [insert the paper's title here]. [state why you were interested by his paper here. Do you agree with his conclusions? Be brief]. 

I am still waiting for this program's decision, so I would like to reinforce that I am still very interested in your work and the research you conduct at Uni of Y.

I look forward to meeting you.

Sincerely,

logos0516"

Does this help at all?

Edited by EngineerGrad