Let's Talk Health Insurance

moda

So health insurance is fairly important. I have heard bad and good things about different schools' health insurance plans. I'm wondering: which schools do you think have the best health insurance plans? Which schools do you think have the worst?

Edited by moda

One thing I'll give the UC system is that they seem to have their health insurance game up to par. I was looking at what my school offers last night and it's pretty much the same coverage I pay over $160 a month for through my current employer.

Edited by Maleficent999

The University of Michigan's plan is particularly appealing because they also pay health/vision/dental premiums for dependents. For students with partners and/or children, this is worth thousands of dollars a year more than the University of California's plan. It's a huge "pro" for Michigan on my list.

Does anyone have any info about Wisconsin's health insurance? Also, I have heard that sometimes the public programs have better health coverage versus the private ones. If anyone has information about Chicago or Cornell's coverage that would certainly be appreciated. 

I am happy with Cornell's.   Very good coverage and extensive coverage outside of the local area.    One pays 10$ flat-rate for any visits to the Cornell medical center (Gannett) which can do most fundamental things and refer one to the finger lakes medical center for larger issues.

http://www.studentinsurance.cornell.edu/gannett/insurance/ship/

I think UT's is good.  They cover the entire premium and half the premium for a dependent.  Our insurance is the same as what other UT employees get, and it's pretty widely accepted here since the university is such a big employer.  Preventative care is free, which I love.  And, the student health center is like $5 per visit.  They don't pay vision/dental, but you have a few tiers of options, which can make it very affordable.

As an international applicant, I have almost no idea what to look for in a health insurance plan. One school I got accepted says that they cover 95% of insurance premiums, the other covers the full cost. Which services should be provided by a good insurance in your opinion? What should I expect?

90% or more is great in my opinion. That said, I still think UCSHIP with the requirement to initiate care at the student health center is a real inconvenience (plus it can take a long time to get an appointment). I've had Kaiser and honestly, it's way worse than Kaiser. 

90% or more is great in my opinion. That said, I still think UCSHIP with the requirement to initiate care at the student health center is a real inconvenience (plus it can take a long time to get an appointment). I've had Kaiser and honestly, it's way worse than Kaiser. 

Well that is disappointing, but I'll take what I can get.

Edited by Maleficent999

That's good to hear! Personally, I'm just grateful to have healthcare. I've spent large chunks of my life without it and its not fun at all.

Definitely agree there. Let me add, my experience has been positive thus far minus the inconvenience and long waits for appointments thus far. Talking to some older graduate students though, I've heard horror stories.