Columbia Art History Direct Entry PhD Stats

TheCardiganBoy

Hey guys!

I was hoping if the Columbia Ph.D. admits would share their stats with the rest of us? Your undergrad GPA, institution, whether you were in an M.A. program and if you were what was your GPA. Did you speak to your POI over the phone and skype or did you actually end up meeting them?

Please help! Any information would help for next year's cycle.

Thank you!

• 2 years later...

I think it might be somewhere implied on their website that they typically expect a 167 or so on the verbal GRE. I think most of their folks tend to be older with MAs (probably perusing the current grad profiles will help). Many seem to have gone to Williams and old BAs for Ivy or Ivy-esque institutions. Many will continue to disagree with me on here and thats totally fine. All I can urge you to do is to find an advisor who thematically engages with your work in an interesting work above the name of the institution. A few very eminent 4 year colleges recently completed tenure track job searches with folks from UW-Madison, Kansas, BU, and Missouri. Just focus on finding an adviser who will challenge you.

• 2 months later...

I got in with a 4.0 undergrad GPA from a public university, some work and internship experience, and a 166 V on the GRE (and an embarrassingly bad math score). I expect my rec letters were very good as well (and I tended to get in the places where recommenders knew profs). Did not talk with advisor prior to admittance except to email and ask whether they were taking students. I disagree with Betsy -- most of the other admits I met were not "older with MAs" or Ivy Leaguers -- yes, some were, but I found a mix of people. About half of my prospective cohort came with just BAs, the other half had MAs; of the BA-only group, some of us had some work experience and others came directly from undergrad. Also saw a mix of private and public schools, low-ranking to high-ranking. 

Edited by brown_eyed_girl

On 7/6/2016 at 1:08 PM, betsy303 said:

Upon perusing the profiles of current students (albeit briefly), you don't see many coming from state colleges or other local institutions, especially ones without MAs.

Most current students don't have bios up; further, not everyone who is admitted attends. My admitted cohort had at least 3 or 4 with only BAs from public schools, though they did tend to be very good publics. 

I was admitted many moons ago (i.e 6-9 years ago). I didn't have an MA, but I did have an excellent GPA from an elite SLAC. My math and writing scores were not remarkable but my verbal scores were in the 99th percentile. What matters, beyond excellent grades and a pedigree, is having a coherent research agenda and clear understanding of the stakes in your proposed area of study. Some people need an MA to get to that point; others don't.