The Graduate Center, CUNY (French)

rougarou

Hey guys, I was accepted to CUNY's PhD for French and was wondering in general how the program is viewed. From what I've seen, the faculty and graduate students seem great and the program seems to be tip-top. But I'd like to know how it's perceived by others and if anyone else here is considering going to CUNY ?

Thank you !

Hi Rougarou,

I was accepted too and we have the same questions about the program. Also, have you been offered a fellowship already ? I received an acceptance email and invitation to the luncheon, but no info regarding funding...wondering if there are any other prospective students in a similar situation.

Merci :)

Hey guys,

I got my BA from a CUNY school and have attended talks at the Grad Center many times. I also know some of the faculty members since they also teach at other CUNY. It's a great program! The only downfall however is the campus: it's location in Midtown and the surrounding can get pretty noisy and filled with tourists.

In my acceptance letter, they mentioned funding. From what I've been told (from faculty at my undergraduate institute) the Graduate Center is perceived favorably and has a good program. A friend of mine in English spoke very highly of their English program as well. From what I've heard and seen, it seems great but I am still wondering how it's perceived from outside the region. Does anyone know anything about their placement record?

Who else received an acceptance mentioning funding ? Are you going to accept the offer ? I am one of those happy fews wait listed. As Cuny is my only option left, the (uncertain) (nothing-you-can-do-at-this-point) waiting part of it is killing me !