Should I just give up?

combustiblecake

Hi guys, I’m new at this, so please have mercy on me...

I started my undergraduate degree in Psychology without really knowing what I wanted to do with it (I also had some problems when I started and really low self esteem). I lost a lot of motivation for school. Eventually, I pulled myself together (with therapy) and was able to get better grades - but I think I may have been too late for this. I did terrible before and I only have one year to fix it:

Overall GPA: 3.4 (there is an upward trends in my grades)

Psych GPA: 2.7 (I’m pretty much dead here)

GRE: (yet to be taken)

I have research experience from since I started my undergraduate schooling and during Fall’14/ SPr ’15 I will be working on a project to write and present research. I also have tons of outside experience related to teaching and working with children. Tons of it. I’m also multilingual, a minority (latina) and minority education/motivation concerns me a lot. Before graduate school, I intend to join TAPIF and teach in France for a while and experience something different.

I’ve thought of a career possibility in School Psychology (for an M.Ed) but now I feel hopeless for anything Psychology-related really.

Should I just quit Psychology and go for another plan?

Can you retake any of the classes that you didn't do well in? It might be worth it to take a full load over the summer or graduate later to change those grades/take extra psych classes.

Many of the school psych programs have a minimum GPA of about 3.3. Some of those are psych GPA, some are cumulative, some are last 60 units. Have you calculated what the highest GPA could be if you ace your remaining classes?

I recommend trying to retake classes, then taking more psych classes. I definitely recommend a gap year because it makes grad apps easier/less stressful.

Also, MAINTAIN RELATIONSHIPS WITH PSYCH PROFESSORS. If you don't, you will regret it. Seriously. I didn't have a single professor that knew me well and grad schools want three letters of recommendation.

Good luck!

Your question depends on many factors. First, how well do you know yourself? Do you truly enjoy learning about psychology? Can you envision yourself being in the field many years from now? Is there really nothing else that you would prefer to do? 

If so, your qualifications--and not your interests--are your only barrier. To address this:

If you can score in the 70th+ percentiles on the GRE, then you have a good shot at getting into a PhD program. Explain your grades succinctly and use the GRE as a counterargument.

If you perform average - below average (think 55 percentile and lower) then I would suggest you look into obtaining a master's degree first.

Don't give up. If you give up, you'll never achieve your goals.

I recommend taking some time off after completing your undergraduate degree. Try to acquire some research experience before applying to a grad program. Also, improving that GPA is a must.

Okay so I have hope for you yet.

I pretty much had the same thing happen to me but I started out in Biology before I found my spark again in Psychology. I graduated with both Bachelors May 2013 however, the damage done to my GPA (Yay for a cumulative of 2.7) was hard to fix. I also share the same background (multilingual, latina, minority research interests, etc.) so I can definitely see where you are coming from.

So what do you do when your GPA is craptastic and you want to pursue Psychology?

You take off for a bit and pursue a research internship or job! 

For what you don't have in booksmarts, you will have the opportunity to show in your practical skills and actual work experience. Granted it's going to be a tough battle, but it's not truly over for you. Find a mentor who shares your interests and start out as a volunteer and help out just to gain experience. I did that and I think that in all honesty, it has become preparation for the future when you begin to get poster presentations, symposia, and talks under your belt. You can put things like that on your CV so it will definitely help. Additionally, a good GRE score will bolster you up too! I did a-okay on mine (V-156,Q-149,AW-5.5) even though my practice scores were tons higher but it was above, as GradApplicant201420 said, the 70th percentile for each section.

Make sure your heart is in the right place for wanting to go to grad school. If you have the passion for it and get a research opportunity, it will show. Plus you're not alone- there's more of us than you know who are in the same boat and hoping that we'll get lucky.

I wish the best of luck to you and I hope what little input you get here helps :)

Noways!! Do not give up!!! You otherwise have a great profile.. Make a steller statement of purpose and make up for your poor performance in letters and GREs. Also study and take Psych GRE if you want to show that despite your poor performance, you have good knowledge base now.