Fall 2015 Applicants

Thanks, that's what I thought. The thing is, there's only one acceptance on the board and it was a POI phone call. I wasn't sure if maybe decisions were going out in waves?

Yep, the acceptance on the board was me. I've since gotten an official letter from the graduate school via email, so my guess is that official acceptances have now gone out. As noted above, they took a very, very small class in order to offer more significant funding (they offered better funding than any of the other Boston-area schools I've been admitted to so far). That said, it's very possible MA letters are still going out, and I don't think any sort of waitlist has gone out yet either (although I'm not 100% sure if they have a waitlist or not)

Finally got a response to my email from UGA. All it said was, "Yes, decisions have been sent out. If you were accepted, you would've gotten a letter in the mail."

The last time I was applying, the season where I ended up taking a funded MA, UGA pulled this same thing. They would not tell me when letters when out and they refused to check my actual status. I just got this same line, over and over. They never sent a rejection. I called them in April, the person on the phone just repeated the same darn thing. This time around, if I hadn't emailed, I doubt would have ever received any notification of any kind. This method of rejection is so insulting and rude. Maybe I'm coming across as bitter, but I can't fathom why they would refuse to actually tell someone they're rejected, opting instead for this wishy-washy crap.

Finally got a response to my email from UGA. All it said was, "Yes, decisions have been sent out. If you were accepted, you would've gotten a letter in the mail."

The last time I was applying, the season where I ended up taking a funded MA, UGA pulled this same thing. They would not tell me when letters when out and they refused to check my actual status. I just got this same line, over and over. They never sent a rejection. I called them in April, the person on the phone just repeated the same darn thing. This time around, if I hadn't emailed, I doubt would have ever received any notification of any kind. This method of rejection is so insulting and rude. Maybe I'm coming across as bitter, but I can't fathom why they would refuse to actually tell someone they're rejected, opting instead for this wishy-washy crap.

Sorry to hear you're going through that. It sounds absoutely Kafkaesque and, I agree, unnecessarily rude. I can't imagine UGA gets sooo many applications that they're too overwhelmed to check your status. Not cool, people.

Maybe I'm coming across as bitter, but I can't fathom why they would refuse to actually tell someone they're rejected, opting instead for this wishy-washy crap.

I don't think you're coming across as bitter. Refusing to inform rejected applicants seems really unprofessional to me as well. 

You don't sound bitter at all! It's so unprofessional for schools to not indicate what your status is. I can understand some wishy-washiness when acceptances haven't been sent out yet, but it's unacceptable after they have. Just think of it this way though hannalore, and anyone else who is experiencing this, a bad system for handling application materials and questions from students is most likely an institution that will have even larger problems further down the line and further up the chain.

Given that a number of people have heard from UChicago for every option acceptance/rejection/transfer to MAPH, I went ahead and emailed them. If there's any general info I'll be sure to post it.. if anyone else is waiting that is. Maybe I'm the only one in limbo-land with them.

Given that a number of people have heard from UChicago for every option acceptance/rejection/transfer to MAPH, I went ahead and emailed them. If there's any general info I'll be sure to post it.. if anyone else is waiting that is. Maybe I'm the only one in limbo-land with them.

I'm in limboland with them too. Have assumed an implied rejection for weeks now, of course, but hearing something remotely definitive would be nice. ;)

Chiming in about UChicago: Applied to non-English national lit, thought I was rejected given the number of acceptances to the program earlier in the month, but just received email stating that I was referred to MAPH. It was marked as spam (I love my inbox---if it ain't an acceptance it's spam! LOL) so check your mailbox thoroughly, folks!

Chiming in about UChicago: Applied to non-English national lit, thought I was rejected given the number of acceptances to the program earlier in the month, but just received email stating that I was referred to MAPH. It was marked as spam (I love my inbox---if it ain't an acceptance it's spam! LOL) so check your mailbox thoroughly, folks!

I wish that was my problem, but alas.. my spam folder has been squeaky clean since Feb 1st :lol:

What's MAPH? Either way, congrats! :)

Just got an email about my Chicago application being forwarded to MAPH. Between that and NYU's mostly funded MA offer, and being on the waitlist at two top ten schools, I know I should be grateful to have opportunities, but I think I feel worse somehow about coming so close to a PhD acceptance but not quite making it. I just wish I knew what it was keeping me out, and if it's something I can actually work on in a year before reapplying, or whether taking an MA offer is the better option. My writing sample did have a lot of film in it, as I come from a film and gender studies background, so I'm thinking more and more that maybe it was viewed as too pop culture-y for a literature program. Those of you who went the route of writing a completely new sample - did you do this on your own? Under the mentorship of an advisor? How did you choose your topic? Feel free to PM me if you have any insight to share, I would really appreciate it!

Just got an email about my Chicago application being forwarded to MAPH. Between that and NYU's mostly funded MA offer, and being on the waitlist at two top ten schools, I know I should be grateful to have opportunities, but I think I feel worse somehow about coming so close to a PhD acceptance but not quite making it. I just wish I knew what it was keeping me out, and if it's something I can actually work on in a year before reapplying, or whether taking an MA offer is the better option. My writing sample did have a lot of film in it, as I come from a film and gender studies background, so I'm thinking more and more that maybe it was viewed as too pop culture-y for a literature program. Those of you who went the route of writing a completely new sample - did you do this on your own? Under the mentorship of an advisor? How did you choose your topic? Feel free to PM me if you have any insight to share, I would really appreciate it!

My sample was on children's literature and Quentin Tarantino, through the lens of queer theory, and I feel I've had a pretty successful application season. If it's your best piece of writing, and there are faculty in the department with whom your work fits (this can be methodological; Michigan, for example, has no children's lit professors but a few whose work theoretically intersects with mine), I don't think you should necessarily consider writing a whole new sample. It's simply too time consuming, especially if you don't pursue the MA.

Just my two cents.  

ETA: If you do pursue the MA, there are many opportunities for your work to grow or change direction over time, and you might then consider using a paper written during the MA for your sample (and even then, I don't think it's necessarily a change you have to make). 

Edited by thepriorwalter

My sample was on children's literature and Quentin Tarantino, through the lens of queer theory, and I feel I've had a pretty successful application season. If it's your best piece of writing, and there are faculty in the department with whom your work fits (this can be methodological; Michigan, for example, has no children's lit professors but a few whose work theoretically intersects with mine), I don't think you should necessarily consider writing a whole new sample. It's simply too time consuming, especially if you don't pursue the MA.

Just my two cents.  

ETA: If you do pursue the MA, there are many opportunities for your work to grow or change direction over time, and you might then consider using a paper written during the MA for your sample (and even then, I don't think it's necessarily a change you have to make). 

Oh god, sorry, I downvoted when I meant to upvote! Those buttons are dangerously close together! Thanks very much for your advice. I don't think I'll rewrite completely, probably just heavily rework. It's good to see people doing work in pop culture and getting in to great programs. Congrats on all of your acceptances, I'd definitely call that a successful application season!

My writing sample did have a lot of film in it, as I come from a film and gender studies background, so I'm thinking more and more that maybe it was viewed as too pop culture-y for a literature program. Those of you who went the route of writing a completely new sample - did you do this on your own? Under the mentorship of an advisor? How did you choose your topic? Feel free to PM me if you have any insight to share, I would really appreciate it!

Just my two cents. 

If I may add another two cents to thepriorwalter's, the writing sample that got me into UT was on a relatively obscure film of David Mamet's. My application season isn't nearly as impressive (five acceptances -- props!), but I did get into one of my top choice PhDs. 

After accepting the likely scenario that I won't get into any PhD programs, I applied to Villanova on Friday. Last night I got a call from a curren grad student there, asking about my interest level in the school and offering to answer my questions. She was kind, helpful and seemed very honest. I have to say, after getting nothing but crickets until the rejections started flooding in, it was wonderful to be contacted by a school, even if it was just a preliminary call to gauge my interest. 

Things are starting to look up. How's everyone else doing, as February winds down?

Just received an email from UGA Housing:

Graduate students with completed applications to UGA may immediately register for on-campus housing—no need to wait for that acceptance letter! Choose Family and Graduate Housing now and make your transition to the University of Georgia as easy as 1, 2, 3!

And then how to sign up for housing. 

I am speechless. It seems as though this is sent out to everybody who applied, AFTER acceptances already went out. So that means people who've been rejected but don't know it, who are still waiting on decisions, get an email with instructions about housing? 

Edited by Hannalore

Just received an email from UGA Housing:

And then how to sign up for housing. 

I am speechless. It seems as though this is sent out to everybody who applied, AFTER acceptances already went out. So that means people who've been rejected but don't know it, who are still waiting on decisions, get an email with instructions about housing?

That's utterly ridiculous, and bound to backfire.

After accepting the likely scenario that I won't get into any PhD programs, I applied to Villanova on Friday. Last night I got a call from a curren grad student there, asking about my interest level in the school and offering to answer my questions. She was kind, helpful and seemed very honest. I have to say, after getting nothing but crickets until the rejections started flooding in, it was wonderful to be contacted by a school, even if it was just a preliminary call to gauge my interest. 

Things are starting to look up. How's everyone else doing, as February winds down?

That's so, so, so great! I live/work just 5 minutes away from Nova, and most grad students live in my town, so if you have any questions about the area let me know. I had a friend who did a funded MA there in a different field and loved it!