Fall 2015 Applicants

At my current college, I've only come across one other person who is applying to English Ph.D. programs. I don't socialize much, given the age gap, and the distance I live from campus, but I still find it odd that I haven't come across more graduate hopefuls, given the relative prestige of my school.

^^ Oddly enough, I've encountered this same phenomenon.  It's weird. I've hardly encountered anyone applying for grad schools and don't know any lit people from my graduating class who applied for graduate programs -- and the college I graduated from (and have been doing work for this semester) is, while not being a super prestigious LAC, quite well known in the region for producing lots of future-PhDs.  I've talked to a couple people who I graduated with who even have a slight attitude when I tell them I'm applying to Ph.D. programs, which is kind of shocking.  I used to get endless shit-talking from high school friends for leaving my city to go to a "fancy-pants-liberal-arts-school" (I was one of the few who went to college at all, and went on fantastic scholarships), and I wasn't quite expecting to see that attitude from my college peers.  It's been scant and not malicious or anything, but I think it stands out more because of the source.

*shrug* I, too, wonder if there's just less people applying to humanities Ph.D. programs.  My SO is getting ready to apply to law schools and has been talking about how much application rates for law schools has dived -- half of her programs are just getting rid of application fees altogether this year.  I wouldn't be surprised if there were similar dives with the humanities.  Fingers crossed -- this could tip the odds ever so slightly in our favor! 

I wouldn't be surprised if there were similar dives with the humanities.  Fingers crossed -- this could tip the odds ever so slightly in our favor! 

I'm hoping that this is the case. I feel like we could all use the luck!

I'm not sure where to put this question so I thought instead of starting a new thread, I'd put it here:

I know generally candidates are generally not expected to have published before their Ph.D. but I have a manuscript in circulation (has been distributed to readers) at one of two most prestigious journals in my field (side note: it's actually quite terrifying knowing that the the Fishes and Lewalskis of the world may be thumbing through my paper at this moment). Anyway, I'm wondering if this is seen as a "plus" on my application or if it is relatively inconsequential, since it obviously hasn't been accepted to publish yet.

I know generally candidates are generally not expected to have published before their Ph.D. but I have a manuscript in circulation (has been distributed to readers) at one of two most prestigious journals in my field (side note: it's actually quite terrifying knowing that the the Fishes and Lewalskis of the world may be thumbing through my paper at this moment). Anyway, I'm wondering if this is seen as a "plus" on my application or if it is relatively inconsequential, since it obviously hasn't been accepted to publish yet.

I would venture to guess (with the usual "blind leading the blind" caveat) that a manuscript in circulation doesn't carry a lot of weight. After all, even bad manuscripts can be in circulation. Yet I would mention it on your C.V., simply with "in circulation" in brackets above any of your other publications. That's just what I would do though. Two cents and all that.

1Q84, just to add to what WT has pointed out (also, I'm part of the "blind" here so take it with a grain of salt ;)

The note about manuscript being in circulation can only help you; at worst, it will have no effect. I spoke to a professor at a school to which I am applying about my candidacy back in late spring and she specifically asked me if I had any publications, especially since I'm coming from way left field. When I told her I did publish a law article---co-authored, but still!---she mentioned that any such information could only help my candidacy. 

Hope this helps somewhat. 

^ What Fancypants said.

I suspect that publications from other fields can help an application. Getting stuff published (even if it's poetry or lower-level writing) shows that you've been through the publication cycle, so to speak: you've assembled something for submission, sent it off, bore the waiting period, and (probably) experienced rejection. Usually more than once. It demonstrates a unique kind of experience that, frankly, some people are just not cut out for. Some people take rejection really hard...as in "questioning one's self-worth" hard. For an adcomm to see that you have, in fact, gone through the cycle and are still soldiering on goes some way toward confirming your resiliency.

I don't think a C.V. matters too much, but for my own part I'm glad I had the opportunity to list a bunch of non-academic publications. There's a solid chance that it won't have any effect on an adcomm's decision about me as an applicant, but there's also a chance that it could. And that latter chance makes it worthwhile.

^ What Fancypants said.

I suspect that publications from other fields can help an application. Getting stuff published (even if it's poetry or lower-level writing) shows that you've been through the publication cycle, so to speak: you've assembled something for submission, sent it off, bore the waiting period, and (probably) experienced rejection. Usually more than once. It demonstrates a unique kind of experience that, frankly, some people are just not cut out for. Some people take rejection really hard...as in "questioning one's self-worth" hard. For an adcomm to see that you have, in fact, gone through the cycle and are still soldiering on goes some way toward confirming your resiliency.

I don't think a C.V. matters too much, but for my own part I'm glad I had the opportunity to list a bunch of non-academic publications. There's a solid chance that it won't have any effect on an adcomm's decision about me as an applicant, but there's also a chance that it could. And that latter chance makes it worthwhile.

Totally agreed on the difficulties of the publication cycle. I was extremely lucky because one of my co-authors was a full professor so his name and title provided a buffer, but you bet we had several rounds of revisions with the journal. And sometimes the difficulties came in trying to strike a balance between said professor's ego ("I'm a full professor at X law school and awesome why should this journal ask us to do these revisions") and following the request of the journal. 

But 1Q84 (a huge Murakami fan here too, btw!), congrats in having the manuscript in circulation!

Getting back to the topic of lack of forum activity, the Languages forum has not had a bona fide interesting thread in over a month now.  Hardly any activity to speak of at all. I sure hope that this means there are fewer applicants this year. On the other hand, Language departments are usually small affairs, not like the big bad English, Psychology, and History departments. I've heard Professors say that getting a PhD in a language other than English was the same as accepting a life of poverty. They then asked me if I still wanted to impoverish myself. Made me feel really odd, but maybe the word is finally getting out that there are few jobs.

I would venture to guess (with the usual "blind leading the blind" caveat) that a manuscript in circulation doesn't carry a lot of weight. After all, even bad manuscripts can be in circulation. Yet I would mention it on your C.V., simply with "in circulation" in brackets above any of your other publications. That's just what I would do though. Two cents and all that.

1Q84, just to add to what WT has pointed out (also, I'm part of the "blind" here so take it with a grain of salt ;)

The note about manuscript being in circulation can only help you; at worst, it will have no effect. I spoke to a professor at a school to which I am applying about my candidacy back in late spring and she specifically asked me if I had any publications, especially since I'm coming from way left field. When I told her I did publish a law article---co-authored, but still!---she mentioned that any such information could only help my candidacy. 

Thanks for feedback, folks! I suspected as much but I definitely want to show that at least I'm "putting myself out there," so to speak. Definitely wish I had a solid actual-publication to put under my belt but thems the breaks I guess.

But 1Q84 (a huge Murakami fan here too, btw!), congrats in having the manuscript in circulation!

It's too bad too 1Q84 was terrible :P Really liked Colorless Tsukuru though.

Getting back to the topic of lack of forum activity, the Languages forum has not had a bona fide interesting thread in over a month now.  Hardly any activity to speak of at all. I sure hope that this means there are fewer applicants this year. On the other hand, Language departments are usually small affairs, not like the big bad English, Psychology, and History departments. I've heard Professors say that getting a PhD in a language other than English was the same as accepting a life of poverty. They then asked me if I still wanted to impoverish myself. Made me feel really odd, but maybe the word is finally getting out that there are few jobs.

Yeah, it's one of those good-yet-bad situations. It's good in that there will theoretically be more slots available for the rest of us, but bad in that it is for legitimate reasons: the job market is quite bad. Not as bad as in other fields, mind you...but still bad.

I'm glad that I've had a fair amount of life and work experience already. It has given me the valuable skill of being able to adapt quite well. The way I see it, I'll be in grad school for five or six years, getting paid to study the whole time, and will come out with a Ph.D. This makes the process sound simplistic, but at the core of it, barring poor performance or other program-affecting issues, it really is a "secure job" for five or so years. Sure, the "pay" isn't great, but it's a job...in a field I love, no less. And when I come out of it, I will have a Ph.D. Whether this degree allows me to get a job in academia is a blend of luck, patience, and a personal willingness to adapt to and/or accept something below what might be preferable. And I can do that. But if there simply aren't any jobs in academia? I figure that having a Ph.D. in English can be used in a variety of fields, whether for arts organizations, non-profits, think groups, consultancy groups, publishing houses, journals, prep schools, various administrative organizations... It will sure as hell put me ahead of where I'd be with just a B.A., and possibly / probably with just a M.A.

So yes. The job market sucks. And as usual, each of us has had to decide whether or not going down this path is worthwhile. I do believe that an awareness of market considerations when going into the process should promote a spirit of adaptability all the way through, however. Statistically speaking, even among those of us who manage to get accepted to a Ph.D. program and also manage to complete it, only around half of us will wind up getting a tenure track job. Strangely enough, I don't find those odds too daunting though, especially when I'm open to a wider range of possibilities than just a career in academia (though that is, by far, my first preference at this time).

Yeah, it's one of those good-yet-bad situations. It's good in that there will theoretically be more slots available for the rest of us, but bad in that it is for legitimate reasons: the job market is quite bad. Not as bad as in other fields, mind you...but still bad.

I'm glad that I've had a fair amount of life and work experience already. It has given me the valuable skill of being able to adapt quite well. The way I see it, I'll be in grad school for five or six years, getting paid to study the whole time, and will come out with a Ph.D. This makes the process sound simplistic, but at the core of it, barring poor performance or other program-affecting issues, it really is a "secure job" for five or so years. Sure, the "pay" isn't great, but it's a job...in a field I love, no less. And when I come out of it, I will have a Ph.D. Whether this degree allows me to get a job in academia is a blend of luck, patience, and a personal willingness to adapt to and/or accept something below what might be preferable. And I can do that. But if there simply aren't any jobs in academia? I figure that having a Ph.D. in English can be used in a variety of fields, whether for arts organizations, non-profits, think groups, consultancy groups, publishing houses, journals, prep schools, various administrative organizations... It will sure as hell put me ahead of where I'd be with just a B.A., and possibly / probably with just a M.A.

So yes. The job market sucks. And as usual, each of us has had to decide whether or not going down this path is worthwhile. I do believe that an awareness of market considerations when going into the process should promote a spirit of adaptability all the way through, however. Statistically speaking, even among those of us who manage to get accepted to a Ph.D. program and also manage to complete it, only around half of us will wind up getting a tenure track job. Strangely enough, I don't find those odds too daunting though, especially when I'm open to a wider range of possibilities than just a career in academia (though that is, by far, my first preference at this time).

Yeah.  I feel like you have to be a bit of an obsessive person to be applying to a PhD program in the first place.  I also think that when people talk about how much the job market sucks, 1. I'm hearing it from tenured professors and 2. that's just in academia.  If I wanted to be making a bunch of money, I wouldn't have studied literature and medieval studies for my B.A. in the first place.  If I get into a PhD, I'll spend 5-6 years getting paid to do something I love and even if its not an impressive salary, I'll be too absorbed in my studies to care that much.  I'll be making more money than I have been lately.  After that... who knows?  I have work experience elsewhere and I'm not ashamed to go back to school to get a teaching degree or an MLIS.  The country certainly needs more teachers.  With a PhD, you could have a shot at teaching a private school (if that's what you'd want to do) and make more money than you would as a professor anyway.  Or working for a non-profit.  There are still lots of things you could do with a PhD.  For me, there are economically practical reasons for it -- I'll be deferring my loans, and I'll be supported by my university while I study what I love to study without accruing more debt.

Eep, submitting my first apps today!! *does a little nervous dance* I really think I've done all I can. My scores are good, my writing is solid, my diversity statement is . . . diverse? I don't have the publications that some people have, or any professional conferences, but my favorite professor told me the other day that she'd be "REALLY surprised" if I didn't get into every school I applied to - which I figure means I have a pretty good chance of getting admitted to at least ONE of the US schools on my list, heh.

I have to admit, I am exceptionally grateful for the holiday break that's about to start - I know this process is not designed around the mental health of the applicants, but it is really smart to have applications due right before a time of year when hugs, sugary treats, and alcohol are widely available. At Berkeley, school doesn't start again until Jan. 20, so I figure I'll only have about a month between then and the time it becomes reasonable to start obsessive e-mail checking. :P

Huzzah, Bat! And good luck! I, too, would be surprised if you didn't get into at least some of these programs. And all you need is one, of course (but yeah, all would be kinda awesome, wouldn't it?)

I just finished writing a 4500 word paper from scratch about an hour ago, worth 50% of the grade for one of my courses. SUCH a relief to finally finish it off. Now I just have one exam and some revisions to another large paper, and I'm done! Feels great. And I'm actually looking kind of forward to visiting my family in Vancouver for Christmas. It will be my first time back there in nearly five years, so hopefully it will be enjoyable. My college starts up again on January 21st, so like you, I'll have at least a few weeks to decompress before the frantic email checking begins.

(Oh, who am I kidding. I'm a frantic email checker all the time to begin with...)

And all you need is one, of course (but yeah, all would be kinda awesome, wouldn't it?)

Really, all I need is Berkeley! I'll stay here if there's any way. <3 I guess all would be fancy, but mainly I just want the security of knowing what the next six years of my life will (sort of) look like... if, for example, Berkeley took me in February with a doable stipend, I wouldn't wait until March to hear from Cornell. I'd just snap it up!

Congrats on finishing your paper! I turned in a similar assignment on Wednesday... not really happy with the conclusion, but sometimes there's just not enough time to let large research papers percolate to perfection at the end of the semester. I'm learning that time management means MANY different things, heh. 

As someone applying to a lot of your schools and in the same tiny field: if you do get into all of your programs, do spare a thought for people who might be on the wait list!

As someone applying to a lot of your schools and in the same tiny field: if you do get into all of your programs, do spare a thought for people who might be on the wait list!

Oh, you! I know the two of us are in a constant battle of "no, YOU'RE more awesome," but I genuinely think your qualifications are better than mine. (Congrats on the manuscript studies conference, by the way!!) If one of us is on the waitlist, it'll be me. BUT, in the offchance that crazy things happen and this situation is reversed, I can promise you: I will decline all the offers I don't accept on the day I make my choice. Anything else would just be mean!

You. Guys. So December 15 is almost on us!! 

Tailoring SOPs (almost done) and then adding citations + last-minute revisions to the WS. Bringing back memories of writing my undergraduate thesis...I was working on citations until about two hours before the thing was due. 

Applying to 7 programs, 5 of them due on Monday. I've been working on the application for about two weeks nonstop and cannot believe that everything may actually be coming to an end. !!! 

Good luck in wrapping up everyone :)

It's too bad too 1Q84 was terrible :P Really liked Colorless Tsukuru though.

I haven't read the English translation of 1Q84---I read it in Korean translation which came out almost simultaneously with the Japanese original, and thought it was actually pretty good. Perhaps time to add the English 1Q84 to the "fun" reading list once this is done... :)

I'm really feeling stressed right now. I have 4 applications due on the 15th, and since this wave consists of the schools that I'd be most happy to get accepted into, I decided to wait and use my term paper for my Shakespeare grad seminar as my writing sample for these applications. I figured that this term paper would reflect most accurately where I am as far as research and writing goes. Two days ago, I decided to start from scratch and pick a whole different historical context (yay for Margery Kempe!) and new critical sources. Basically I'm feeling the pressure. This paper isn't due until Tuesday, but I have to have it polished by Monday to submit with my applications. At this point, I'm still reading criticism because of course the best works for my thesis are all 29-36 pages long (the class only requires criticism to be a min of 12 pages). It looks like I'm going to have to turn in my applications pretty close to the deadline, which I was hoping to avoid.  -4/10 would not recommend this strategy.

Also, my best friend decided (on short notice, military couple) to get married this upcoming Thursday. I have been assuming all wedding planning-ish activities (not much, but still adds on to the stress). I'm looking forward to this paper being finished so that I can celebrate, very enthusiastically, their marriage.

On a side note, my cat is much better than I at implementing study breaks. He systematically lays on my laptop about every hour for just ten minutes before hearing some noise he must investigate. Thanks, I guess.

I'm really feeling stressed right now. I have 4 applications due on the 15th, and since this wave consists of the schools that I'd be most happy to get accepted into, I decided to wait and use my term paper for my Shakespeare grad seminar as my writing sample for these applications. I figured that this term paper would reflect most accurately where I am as far as research and writing goes. Two days ago, I decided to start from scratch and pick a whole different historical context (yay for Margery Kempe!) and new critical sources. Basically I'm feeling the pressure. This paper isn't due until Tuesday, but I have to have it polished by Monday to submit with my applications. At this point, I'm still reading criticism because of course the best works for my thesis are all 29-36 pages long (the class only requires criticism to be a min of 12 pages). It looks like I'm going to have to turn in my applications pretty close to the deadline, which I was hoping to avoid.  -4/10 would not recommend this strategy.

Love Kempe! Very impressive--sounds like it's going to be a really strong paper.

Applying to 7 programs, 5 of them due on Monday. I've been working on the application for about two weeks nonstop and cannot believe that everything may actually be coming to an end. !!!

I only have two due on Monday so I definitely feel like I'm over my hump. Sending good vibes to all those whose major slew of apps are due on the 15th!

I haven't read the English translation of 1Q84---I read it in Korean translation which came out almost simultaneously with the Japanese original, and thought it was actually pretty good. Perhaps time to add the English 1Q84 to the "fun" reading list once this is done... :)

Something must've been lost in translation. I thought it was about 500 pages too long!

Edited by 1Q84

Oh, you! I know the two of us are in a constant battle of "no, YOU'RE more awesome," but I genuinely think your qualifications are better than mine. (Congrats on the manuscript studies conference, by the way!!) If one of us is on the waitlist, it'll be me. BUT, in the offchance that crazy things happen and this situation is reversed, I can promise you: I will decline all the offers I don't accept on the day I make my choice. Anything else would just be mean!

Sure, sure--we're both strong candidates, I think, and it's likely we'll both be perfectly happy when all's said and done. But a comment like that from a prof. at Berkeley does presumably carry some weight, and can't help but lead to the kind of unhealthy thinking that is pretty much exactly the reason I'll be avoiding GC for the duration! The application process is this weird beast compounded of equal measures of hope and fear, and is soul-abrading enough without having to bring elements of interpersonal comparison--or even feigned jousting!--into it.

Now that the application season is winding down, I'm gonna check out and try to think about anything other than my applications until things start getting real in February. See y'all on the other side!

So here's my daily check-in for today! 

Finished the tailoring of the SOPs, finished citing and footnoting the WS---came in at just over 90 footnotes, many of them containing foreign citations, so it took some time but I am so glad it is done. Putting off the minor revisions for tomorrow because I feel like I'm going to puke if I stare at this screen any longer. 

Final push everyone!! 

Does anyone else ever feel a little grumpy when you come across a small spelling mistake on a program's website? It's petty, but my obsessive editing of my own materials makes every mention of an upcoming "semibar" just, uh, >:l-X-= (words fail me here).