Fall 2015 Applicants

I wish you the very best of luck! I haven't gotten mine, but I have had email interactions with two professors there, both of whom were incredibly sweet to me. So I'm sure it will go fine, if not pleasantly!

That would make sense. My invite hasn't come, but I'm going to assume that that isn't going to hurt me. I hope.

Hmm, interesting. I know a lot of professors at Uchicago (I went there for undergrad), and I'm pretty sure the humanities PhD programs don't generally do interviews. So that's interesting. I haven't received any word from them. But again, congrats to all who got interviews!

Speaking of cold winters, I believe that snowpocalypse in New England may cause delay in schools sending out decisions. I've heard of several schools closing for a snow day tomorrow.

Just to note...I'm very disappointed/unimpressed by Juno :/

I am not so sure... the cold has made me a brittler person if anything, especially after last winter!  :blink:

oy gevalt. yeah. I was joking lol. Last winter I remember coming back to Wisconsin to get back to my job after being in cali for a couple weeks and had to walk to work the day there was a -40 windchill. No thank you.

Just to note...I'm very disappointed/unimpressed by Juno :/

Nemo was way worse! I fully expected to be cutoff from all civilization with how serious they kept saying Juno was going to be.

Hope everyone in the NE is keeping safe and warm! I'm spending the better part of today and tomorrow offline as I'm making my way back to my place...I love the States but I also missed the freedom of being on my own. Just realized that being on the other side of the world means I won't be able to check my email and the GC real time...I'll either go to sleep or wake up to admissions news (not sure if this is a good thing at this point). It also means that I'll be having my video conference call at 1AM local time on Saturday morning. 

Clarifying note from a University of Chicago English third year -- last year's yield was too high. 23 (or so) offers were made for an ideal cohort of 8-10, but 16 accepted. Very expensive for the division. This year, to better control the cohort size, they are making ten offers with six waitlisted (also a first). That's why interviews are now part of the universal selection process in English.

Not sure, but would GUESS that they are interviewing 16 (the 10 offers plus 6 waitlist). 30 seems nuts, faculty around here are already crazy enough with admissions stuff. Since they have historically made about 23 offers, 30 interviews for a smaller cohort seems illogical.

Not sure, but would GUESS that they are interviewing 16 (the 10 offers plus 6 waitlist). 30 seems nuts, faculty around here are already crazy enough with admissions stuff. Since they have historically made about 23 offers, 30 interviews for a smaller cohort seems illogical.

So would you say then that those who were not asked to interview are most certainly not on the short list?

Thanks for this, REOSlowdeath. It mostly confirms my suspicion that I didn't make the cut. Alas. Well, I have one more Chicago option on the table at least...

Yes, same here. I actually was trolled by U Chicago today which sent me an "Inside the Summer Business Scholars Experience" email, but all I could see was that it was an email from University of Chicago. Let's just say that didn't feel too great. :wacko:

This is not related to acceptances and rejections, but I won a prize at my school today! For "exceptional academic excellence in the English department." And a friend of mine says his faculty mentor told him that this particular prize can really be a leg up during admissions to my department's graduate program, which is my first choice, so... fingers crossed?! I hope I hope. I would withdraw all my other apps if I got in and got funded, I don't even CARE that it's less fancy to stay at the same institution for undergrad and grad school.

I think I'm going to use the money to fund my trip to Glasgow for the conference I got accepted to. I have to say, I wish I'd won all these things BEFORE I submitted my applications!  :unsure:

Edited by hreaðemus

This is not related to acceptances and rejections, but I won a prize at my school today! For "exceptional academic excellence in the English department." And a friend of mine says this particular prize can really be a leg up during admissions to my department's graduate program, which is my first choice, so... fingers crossed?! I hope I hope. I would withdraw all my other apps if I got in and got funded, I don't even CARE that it's less fancy to stay at the same institution for undergrad and grad school.

I think I'm going to use the money to fund my trip to Glasgow for the conference I got accepted to. I have to say, I wish I'd won all these things BEFORE I submitted my applications!  :unsure:

Congrats! And, I LOVE Glasgow...probably one of my favorite cities in the world (partially because I studied abroad there)

Congrats! And, I LOVE Glasgow...probably one of my favorite cities in the world (partially because I studied abroad there)

Thank you! I'm excited to explore the city - AND there will be "excursions," apparently, to Iona and to see the Ruthwell Cross, which just makes my Anglo-Saxonist heart beat faster!

This is not related to acceptances and rejections, but I won a prize at my school today! For "exceptional academic excellence in the English department." And a friend of mine says his faculty mentor told him that this particular prize can really be a leg up during admissions to my department's graduate program, which is my first choice, so... fingers crossed?! I hope I hope. I would withdraw all my other apps if I got in and got funded, I don't even CARE that it's less fancy to stay at the same institution for undergrad and grad school.

Bravo!!!

giphy.gif

Wow!!! Congratulations! :D

I have to say, I wish I'd won all these things BEFORE I submitted my applications!  :unsure:

Pshaw! I understand what you mean. But think about it--if you're a strong enough student to have won that award, that sort of academic ability will shine through your apps even without the line on the CV!