Fall 2015 Applicants

Aww, see, we just need to emulate these cute animals. They don't care about getting into top programs, why should I? :P And I move we have a thread of happy images and gifs to stare at after rejections.

Now to figure out how to shift back into "I AM SO EXCITED TO TEACH YOU FRESHMAN ABOUT NARROWING PAPER TOPICS!" mode before my next class...

I am a cat. specifically, according to an online cat breed test, I am a maine coon.

and congrats to the duke admit! awesome program :)

I don't know why, but seeing some of the numbers and comments of the accepted folks always surprises me. They're so damn impressive. That should be obvious, and yet most of the acceptances so far have blown me away (based on the scant info on the results page, that is).

Congrats to that Duke acceptance with the 170 verbal GRE, an MFA, 14 publications, years of teaching experience and presentations! :)

:blink:

Agreed 100%. Congratulations to the Duke admit!!!

But to be frank, what terrifies me more is how wonderful the stats are of some of the people getting rejected from these programs. What is this mystical force called "fit?"

Agreed 100%. Congratulations to the Duke admit!!!

But to be frank, what terrifies me more is how wonderful the stats are of some of the people getting rejected from these programs. What is this mystical force called "fit?"

yes, this scared me too. some of the rejections have such incredible stats.... and they got rejected :S

Very true. It's making me wonder (as I routinely do at the best of times) whether I should have retaken the GRE. I keep hearing how insignificant it is, and yet so far I have seen very few acceptances with GRE scores in the same ballpark (or lower) than my own...

Any sense on how the Duke waitlist works/how long it tends to be?

Waitlisted hasn't been a common results post for Duke over the last 4 or 5 years. Last year there were x number of students accepted who attended recruitment weekend, with the idea that 5-8 would accept other offers. Basically - I'm not sure if there is a waitlist.

Edit: it could even vary year to year. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Edited by mikers86

I don't know why, but seeing some of the numbers and comments of the accepted folks always surprises me. They're so damn impressive. That should be obvious, and yet most of the acceptances so far have blown me away (based on the scant info on the results page, that is).

Congrats to that Duke acceptance with the 170 verbal GRE, an MFA, 14 publications, years of teaching experience and presentations! :)

:blink:

That one terrified me as well. 14 publications is particularly staggering for someone sans-doctorate. Considering the person lists an MFA, I’m wondering (hoping?) that many of these 14 are poems/prose published in fiction journals, not academic articles. 

As someone applying straight out of undergraduate with a whopping total of 0 publications, I must confess that the number of “accepted” results that list previous publications is starting to unnerve me a bit.

That one terrified me as well. 14 publications is particularly staggering for someone sans-doctorate. Considering the person lists an MFA, I’m wondering (hoping?) that many of these 14 are poems/prose published in fiction journals, not academic articles. 

As someone applying straight out of undergraduate with a whopping total of 0 publications, I must confess that the number of “accepted” results that list previous publications is starting to unnerve me a bit.

Yes, I agree. Then again, I would personally never list creative writing publications as "publications" for an academic degree path. The numbers would imply the wrong thing. So who knows?

It IS interesting, and perhaps even encouraging, to see someone with a creative writing background get on the academic track. That somewhat approximates my own experience (though sans-MFA in my case).

I must say, it's pretty much unprecedented to have that many academic publications before entering a doctoral program. I hope this doesn't sound like sour grapes (because it's not) but quite a few professors have told me too that a) one shouldn't even try to publish 'juvenilia' before entering a doctoral program and b.) many professors don't take pre-doctoral program publications very seriously.

I'm not as intimidated by the 14 pubs as I am perplexed by it.

Edited by 1Q84

I'm pretty confused about the publications myself. I too have been told several times by several professors that not only are publications not expected at this level, but conference presentations are not necessary and having experience in that area would set my applications apart. This is clearly no longer the case.

Edited by Hannalore

I must say, it's pretty much unprecedented to have that many academic publications before entering a doctoral program. I hope this doesn't sound like sour grapes (because it's not) but quite a few professors have told me too that a) one shouldn't even try to publish 'juvenilia' before entering a doctoral program and b.) many professors don't take pre-doctoral program publications very seriously.

Yes, I’ve had similar advice. I’ve long been told that conference presentations were useful for an undergraduate (I have three on my application, which seems to be middle of the road for someone without an MA) by showing a willingness to engage in the field and try one’s hand at formal research and presentation, but that publications were to be avoided. 

I think you’re right not to feel intimidated. In any case, the Duke acceptance listed other impressive qualities, so there’s no reason to assume that the Duke committee looked at the CV and said “14 Publications! Instant Admission!” I’m likely just engaging in the all-too-common “look for holes in my own application while I wait for results” behavior

Like WT said, it depends on what you're counting for publications. Most incoming students have minimal pub. credits to their name. An exception to this would be if you've been out of a degree program for several years but are still active in the field.

I can almost guarantee that these 14 publications are not academic publications. I really don't mean to sound like a dick, but I think this is a perfect example what's been discussed in another thread -- applicants placing an emphasize on a quantity of something, instead of talking about the quality or prestige of those things (pubs, conference papers, etc.). Now, it seems like it worked out in this applicant's favor this time. But I don't think we should extract anything generalizable about this. You do NOT have to have a thousand publications -- or even one -- to get into a good program. 

WT: I agree with you about the GRE scores. I got around the same percentile as you, but I'm trying not to let the results psych me out. After all, only about half of those posting on the results page actually report their scores. I was heartened to see a Chicago interviewee with nearly identical gre scores, and a lower undergrad gpa. Of course, there's no guarantee this interview will result in an acceptance, but still.

I can almost guarantee that these 14 publications are not academic publications. I really don't mean to sound like a dick, but I think this is a perfect example what's been discussed in another thread -- applicants placing an emphasize on a quantity of something, instead of talking about the quality or prestige of those things (pubs, conference papers, etc.). Now, it seems like it worked out in this applicant's favor this time. But I don't think we should extract anything generalizable about this. You do NOT have to have a thousand publications -- or even one -- to get into a good program. 

You never know though. I have friends who have been involved with editorial work, have taught for a while with an MA or no degree (generally not in the US), have had residencies and grants for research, etc. I think it depends on how old you are, how active you are in the field/in which ways, and how you are connected. If you have been sitting on the editorial board of a publication for a while, you are probably more likely to have publications there and in related works than someone who is outside the scene. As a person entering a program with a writing MFA, I think it is somewhat more likely that s/he has been involved with publishing in some way, has been teaching in English or some related field with the creative writing degree, and has decided to move forward some time later. I could also be wrong about this, but I know some of those 14 publication people, and they are real. Often international and older (than I am)

As someone now in a PhD program for literature who applied after completing an MFA - and who listed (creative writing) publications on my CV - I would imagine that the credits listed are most likely of the poetry/fiction/creative nonfiction kind rather than "scholarly." I couldn't say how having approximately a like number helped or hindered my PhD applications, but none of the prpfessors I work with now in Med-Ren have ever mentioned my being a professionally published poet. From an admissions perspective, I'd imagine they are often considered related - but still distinct - "fields."

From an admissions perspective, I'd imagine they are often considered related - but still distinct - "fields."

This is my sense of things as well. Having creative publications certainly won't hurt your application; I just don't think they'll generally affect your application. And this was my point in my earlier post: we shouldn't think that there's some type of causal link between 14 (presumably creative) publications and the Duke admission. Creative pubs might have some bearing on an application if one were applying to, say, a program with an emphasis on poetics. But I don't think having 14 publications of any kind is the new standard for admission; those of us that haven't published needn't been anxious.

As awed as I am by the Duke admit, (CONGRATULATIONS!) I must confess I am quite relieved to hear that 14 publications are definitely not the norm. I am an international applicant, and while I was aware that publications count for a great deal, I too had been given to believe that they are incredibly prestigious and come after great study and greater revisions. Which is why when I saw the stats I was torn between intense admiration and a feeling of 'oh dear god how underwhelming an applicant am I?!'

Congrats to the Duke admit! I can't see the stats you're all talking about as I'm on mobile, but I would guess that they were creative too, at least in part.

As an aside... Is anyone else feeling terrified that Stanford, ucla, and Berkeley may all be sending out emails TOMORROW. Ack!

POI from Duke came into my place of employment with a copy of my writing sample that had tire marks on it. He strode into my office, spit on my writing sample and punched me in the face. Didn't catch what he said about my mother on the way out, but I don't think it was feminist.

When I went to lunch my tires were slashed.

I had a standard link-to-website email notification.

I don't even think my newly tenured professors have fourteen publications. A publication in a peer-reviewed journal takes time: writing, revising, revising some more, waiting for decision, revising, resubmiting, waiting for decision, revising, and then WA-LA! You're published. And that's if the paper is eventually accepted. I've been working on the same manuscript for over a year now, and I'm still waiting to hear a decision.