Funding for U.S. Students Studying at a Canadian University

karlinave

Hi all!

I have applied to some Psychology PhD programs at universities in Canada (McMaster and McGill), but most of the funding normally available for Canadian students is only open to Canadian citizens. I really would like to attend one of these schools, but as a US citizen it appears my options are limited.

Does anyone know of anything I can apply for as a US citizen that would fund my graduate studies in Canada? The fact that the faculty I am applying to work with are asking me if I know of anything makes me feel like there may not be much, and my searching online hasn't turned up much. I know this is a shot in the dark, but please let me know if you know of anything that I may be missing!

I'm a Canadian and I know that some of our SSHRCC (Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada) fellowships can be taken out of the country (i.e. to the US... I'm going in the opposite direction!). Maybe national funding agencies in the States allow students to take fellowships to Canada? Mind you, the applications for ours had to be done way in advance (i.e. Oct. for the following Sept.). Alternatively, you could sign up for a website like studentawards or something like that, input your criteria, and see if they come up with anything. Best of luck!