Quick Turn-Around: Etiquette

armchairette

I've applied to 3 US programs and 1 Canadian in my field.  Program X had a significantly earlier application timeline that the others (or the national average/standards).  That program has accepted me.  They have given me 2 weeks to make a decision.

It is my 2nd choice program, however.  I do not expect the other programs to make a move much before the traditional notification deadline.  I do not want to lose out on my 1st choice (Program Y) if it is also going to be an acceptance, but I also don't want to miss out on a great program I know I am in and can afford.  If it helps none are top tier in my field (Program X is 2nd tier, the others are 3rd), all are state schools (excluding the Canadian), all are out of state for me, and all were specifically chosen due to faculty or research foci of the programs.

I'm wondering if any of you have advice  in regards to informing the other programs that I already have an offer (and funding) for program X?

Is a polite email appropriate?  A phone call?

Nothing at all?

I would first e-mail the program you're still waiting on and politely ask when you can expect to hear about the decision. I'd then e-mail the school you've been accepted to and explain that you'll need until at least that date to decide because you're waiting to hear back from other schools and ask whether that would be okay. If they say no (which I think is unlikely), I'd contact your first choice school and politely ask whether they would be able to expedite the review of your file, because another school is asking for a decision but you're still really excited about their school.

Good luck (: 

Note that, per the Council of Graduate Schools resolution (https://www.cgsnet.org/april-15-resolution), member schools cannot ask for acceptance of an offer for financial support prior to April 15th.  It wasn't clear from your first post whether or not it was an offer for admission or an offer for admission including financial support.  If they require that response within two weeks, note that you have a right to withdraw your acceptance of that offer for any reason as long as you submit that withdrawal before April 15.  The schools you listed in your signature are all part of the Council of Graduate Schools that signed the above resolution.

Note that, per the Council of Graduate Schools resolution (https://www.cgsnet.org/april-15-resolution), member schools cannot ask for acceptance of an offer for financial support prior to April 15th.  It wasn't clear from your first post whether or not it was an offer for admission or an offer for admission including financial support.  If they require that response within two weeks, note that you have a right to withdraw your acceptance of that offer for any reason as long as you submit that withdrawal before April 15.  The schools you listed in your signature are all part of the Council of Graduate Schools that signed the above resolution.

This is exactly what I was looking for, because I am in the same predicament. Thanks much :)

I've applied to 3 US programs and 1 Canadian in my field.  Program X had a significantly earlier application timeline that the others (or the national average/standards).  That program has accepted me.  They have given me 2 weeks to make a decision.

It is my 2nd choice program, however.  I do not expect the other programs to make a move much before the traditional notification deadline.  I do not want to lose out on my 1st choice (Program Y) if it is also going to be an acceptance, but I also don't want to miss out on a great program I know I am in and can afford.  If it helps none are top tier in my field (Program X is 2nd tier, the others are 3rd), all are state schools (excluding the Canadian), all are out of state for me, and all were specifically chosen due to faculty or research foci of the programs.

I'm wondering if any of you have advice  in regards to informing the other programs that I already have an offer (and funding) for program X?

Is a polite email appropriate?  A phone call?

Nothing at all?

Is Program X the Canadian school? If so, they won't fall under the CGS April 15 resolution. Some Canadian programs will align their deadlines with the US but not all. But in either case, you should ask Program X for an extension (contact the other programs, figure out when they would normally respond, and ask for extra time accordingly). If Program X is a Canadian school, then explain that most US schools won't expect an answer until April 15 so that they might not get back to you until much later than 2 weeks. Also, Canadian programs are well aware of the different deadlines from US and also other Canadian schools, so they are usually fairly flexible and if you ask for an extension you'll likely get it. They just want to issue an initial early deadline to avoid students procrastinating on the decision. 

I didn't list any schools (the signature I think you referred to was from the 1st person to reply to my post, not me).  I will review the list, though to double check.  Thanks. 

edited to add:

If I'm reading the resolution correctly, they can have an earlier deadline for acceptance/rejection of admissions offer--just not of funding.  Which means I can withdraw the acceptance before 4/15?  They are only asking me to accept the admissions by the indicated deadline (March 7th), though they are offering funding.

Edited by armchairette

Is Program X the Canadian school? If so, they won't fall under the CGS April 15 resolution. Some Canadian programs will align their deadlines with the US but not all. But in either case, you should ask Program X for an extension (contact the other programs, figure out when they would normally respond, and ask for extra time accordingly). If Program X is a Canadian school, then explain that most US schools won't expect an answer until April 15 so that they might not get back to you until much later than 2 weeks. Also, Canadian programs are well aware of the different deadlines from US and also other Canadian schools, so they are usually fairly flexible and if you ask for an extension you'll likely get it. They just want to issue an initial early deadline to avoid students procrastinating on the decision. 

No it isn't the Canadian program, unfortunately.  Thanks, though.

I didn't list any schools (the signature I think you referred to was from the 1st person to reply to my post, not me).  I will review the list, though to double check.  Thanks. 

edited to add:

If I'm reading the resolution correctly, they can have an earlier deadline for acceptance/rejection of admissions offer--just not of funding.  Which means I can withdraw the acceptance before 4/15?  They are only asking me to accept the admissions by the indicated deadline (March 7th), though they are offering funding.

There is no resolution about admission offers. Also, if the CGS Resolution applies to your offer, it is usually spelled out (or linked to) in your offer letter.

If the Resolution does apply in this case (probably not since they are explicitly asking you to respond earlier), this means that you should not have to respond before April 15 and that you can change your mind before April 15 if you accept now. And if you do this, they are supposed to honor their funding commitment until April 15. 

But, since they are saying March 7 explicitly, it sounds like they will not follow the April 15 resolution. Even if they are on that CGS list, there is actually no authority that enforces the resolution, so unfortunately, the Resolution is pretty meaningless except as a standard most schools will sometimes follow. 

Usually, if they are offering funding with admission, I would argue that it's a financial offer. But I guess some places might try to ask you about admission separately from funding (or say that funding info only provided after admission decision is made) and I would say that this is a sneaky way to get around the resolution. Or maybe this is not the case and they are just directly violating the Resolution since there's no real reason for them not to! 

In any case, I don't think it would be a good idea to act as if the Resolution is in place especially if they have not mentioned it in their offer. It's probably not a good idea to force them to give you until April 15 either. Instead, I think the best way forward is to just ask for more time to make your decision (cite reasons that other schools have not decided yet and you need to know all the info before you can decide) and see what they say. In many cases, they might just put an early decision deadline to see who is able to accept early and will grant extensions if requested. If they absolutely refuse to be flexible--then you can decide whether you want to run the risk of potentially burning bridges by accepting by March 7 and then changing your mind if you get a better offer, or even if you want to attend this school at all if they are going to be not understanding of your need to consider other offers. I personally don't think changing your mind / burning bridges is going to be that severe if you are forced to do so because of their inflexibility but it's really up to you.

No it isn't the Canadian program, unfortunately.  Thanks, though.

Most of what people here have said about asking for extension and asking the other schools about timelines will still apply though :)

There is no resolution about admission offers. Also, if the CGS Resolution applies to your offer, it is usually spelled out (or linked to) in your offer letter.

If the Resolution does apply in this case (probably not since they are explicitly asking you to respond earlier), this means that you should not have to respond before April 15 and that you can change your mind before April 15 if you accept now. And if you do this, they are supposed to honor their funding commitment until April 15. 

But, since they are saying March 7 explicitly, it sounds like they will not follow the April 15 resolution. Even if they are on that CGS list, there is actually no authority that enforces the resolution, so unfortunately, the Resolution is pretty meaningless except as a standard most schools will sometimes follow. 

Usually, if they are offering funding with admission, I would argue that it's a financial offer. But I guess some places might try to ask you about admission separately from funding (or say that funding info only provided after admission decision is made) and I would say that this is a sneaky way to get around the resolution. Or maybe this is not the case and they are just directly violating the Resolution since there's no real reason for them not to! 

In any case, I don't think it would be a good idea to act as if the Resolution is in place especially if they have not mentioned it in their offer. It's probably not a good idea to force them to give you until April 15 either. Instead, I think the best way forward is to just ask for more time to make your decision (cite reasons that other schools have not decided yet and you need to know all the info before you can decide) and see what they say. In many cases, they might just put an early decision deadline to see who is able to accept early and will grant extensions if requested. If they absolutely refuse to be flexible--then you can decide whether you want to run the risk of potentially burning bridges by accepting by March 7 and then changing your mind if you get a better offer, or even if you want to attend this school at all if they are going to be not understanding of your need to consider other offers. I personally don't think changing your mind / burning bridges is going to be that severe if you are forced to do so because of their inflexibility but it's really up to you.

Most of what people here have said about asking for extension and asking the other schools about timelines will still apply though :)

Thanks, exactly what I needed. :-)

Here's a little update:

The other top choice program has made an unofficial offer of admission with fellowship.  While it is unofficial at this point, this offer is directly from the head of the program, who has also offered to be my mentor.

The program that has made a formal offer has committed to an assistantship, would would pay only a little less than the other program's fellowship.  It is in a more affordable area and family lives nearby.  Financially, it might work out to be a wash between the two. 

The other programs have let me know their anticipated notification dates.

If my MA advisor approves, I'm going to ask for an extension on making a decision on the one program.  Of course, that means actually making a decision...And if they say no, I don't know what I'll do.  I know they want me, but the other program obviously wants me--a lot.

Thanks to all commentators. :-)

A bit more of an update:

On advice from my advisor and another professor from my department (both who know people at program X), I requested an extension.

It took several days for X to respond.  When they did, their response was odd.  Basically, they said, "Well, love to grant you it, but, hey, we might give your slot away.  Hope you make the right decision."<--They really did end with that.  Pressure, much?

I'm going to accept the extension, but am figuring that I will probably either lose my spot or turn them down.

A bit more of an update:

On advice from my advisor and another professor from my department (both who know people at program X), I requested an extension.

It took several days for X to respond.  When they did, their response was odd.  Basically, they said, "Well, love to grant you it, but, hey, we might give your slot away.  Hope you make the right decision."<--They really did end with that.  Pressure, much?

I'm going to accept the extension, but am figuring that I will probably either lose my spot or turn them down.

They have seats to fill, fundings to finance, and research to get on with.  No offense to you or anyone else, but, in reality they have a business to tend to.  With that, personally, I would turn down their offer after receiving such an unprofessional email.