Another GRE question post (Sorry in advance!)

Seattlestudent

Hello folks,

Long story short: I've taken the GRE twice and both times did not get great scores:

1st time: 157 Verbal, 140Q, 4.5 Writing

2nd time: 154 Verbal, 144 Q, 5.3 Writing

I did running start so I have 2 college GPAs (3.78 running start/3.96 undergrad), I have 1 published research article in a sociolegal journal (primary author), presented at several academic conferences, and I can get strong LORs.

so I'm in a bit of a bind because I dont know if I should retake the GRE again (not sure if I can bring up my scores since I studied for them in the past when I took my exams), I know we have the option of only sending recent scores to schools but I still dont know if I should bother applying to any programs.

I want to study religion and politics and do comparative work. 

Any suggestions of a) whether I should retake my GRE's/apply and B) programs I should look into?

Thank you!!!

That's easy, man. No. Do not re-take it. Your scores are fine in all aspects. What you should do is narrow what about religion and politics you like and find the professor that does it. Then, read as much as you can of his/her research, e-mail them and express interest. Spark a nice dialogue in e-mail and maybe even ask to give him/her a ring - I did that, and it went great (but make sure you have read his/her stuff). Build the qualitative aspect of your application. Visit the school, the POI, contact faculty. Your GRE will play little into the application process if you go out of your way to let them know you want to be there. Trust me.

All I know is that UWashington has a nice comparative Religion and Politics program. But, you probably know that since you're in Seattle.

Good Luck! And don't be scared to contact them! You must do this.

Edited by DigDeep

GREs are usually the least important part of the application. If you had a low GPA, GRE scores can help compensate, but you are a stellar candidate and your GRE scores are fine. I wouldn't worry about it. The most important criteria is fit, so as DigDeep said, try to show a clear connection between your chosen topic and the professors at the school, particularly the one you want to work with. Best of luck!

Another person who got low GRE scores chiming in! 

I did poorly on the GRE as well but I was accepted to a great school with funding because I had a strong SOP, my research interests were a great fit with my POI, and I had excellent LORs.  Work on strengthening the rest of your profile (which already sounds strong IMO), getting as much experience under your belt as possible, and making connections with professors who can recommend you.

I don't know anything about Political Science, but I wonder if you might get some information on programs by posting your research interests here: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/36-political-science/

I did poorly on the GRE as well but I was accepted to a great school with funding because I had a strong SOP, my research interests were a great fit with my POI, and I had excellent LORs.  Work on strengthening the rest of your profile (which already sounds strong IMO), getting as much experience under your belt as possible, and making connections with professors who can recommend you.

I don't know anything about Political Science, but I wonder if you might get some information on programs by posting your research interests here: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/36-political-science/

Thank you!!

Yep - same here! I support this message. ;)

Edited by DigDeep

I have low GRE scores as well, but I was able to get in as well! I have a really good GPA, had a really strong SOP,  made sure there was a fit with the university and professors, had good letters of recommendation, etc, etc...

I pretty much ditto what strudelle said. Good luck!!!

yeah i got scores almost the same as yours but dont get exited by ME cuz my biggest achievement so far this cycle is getting wait listed by Cotsen. HOWEVER i was told by a university i was rejected by that they did not even LOOK at my GRE, it never came into question- problem was something completely unrelated. 

Hey guys,

before I get too excited, did any of you guys get scores that were similar or lower than mine? 

My GRE scores were similar to your first test. So far I have been accepted into 2 programs. 

Edited by CulturalAnth