Programs in Europe (Non-UK)

bar_scene_gambler

So as the rejections have started coming in, I've decided to begin formulating a list of schools I'd like to apply to next year. I can't seem to find any really solid information on good PhD programs in Europe, and so I figured I'd put the question to you guys. Given my interests (in signature), what programs should I be looking at? I speak German by the way, so programs that are taught in German are totally doable. I already know about Leuven and programs in the UK, so I'm really just looking for programs on the continent that have strong programs and teach in either English or German.

Might look into the Universities of Groningen and Amsterdam in the Netherlands; Freiburg im Breisgau and Frankfurt in Deutschland house world-famous philosophy departments, though I am not sure what the majority of the faculty at these places are working on these days. Freiburg has a reputation for phenomenology (duh, it was Heidegger's home uni) and is an awesome city, I spent the summer there in 2009. Also, many Scandinavian universities offer substantial funding for PhD. positions, and usually require their PhDs. to work in English. I recently looked into an open PhD. position at a Swedish university, that was for four years, and paid the equivalent of 43,000 USD per year. Sick, right? 

Edited by objectivityofcontradiction

Might look into the Universities of Groningen and Amsterdam in the Netherlands; Freiburg im Breisgau and Frankfurt in Deutschland house world-famous philosophy departments, though I am not sure what the majority of the faculty at these places are working on these days. Freiburg has a reputation for phenomenology (duh, it was Heidegger's home uni) and is an awesome city, I spent the summer there in 2009. Also, many Scandinavian universities offer substantial funding for PhD. positions, and usually require their PhDs. to work in English. I recently looked into an open PhD. position at a Swedish university, that was for four years, and paid the equivalent of 43,000 USD per year. Sick, right? 

Do you know of any departments that have a focus on Nietzsche and post-Kantian German philosophy? Nietzsche's my main AOI. I only recently developed an interest in Heidegger and I would hesitate to jump right into a dissertation on his work with it being only a nascent interest.

To be honest, the appeal of American PhD programs is that they would give me a little more time to do coursework before jumping into my dissertation. I still feel a little unformed philosophically, which makes me hesitate to apply to European universities, but since I'm not doing so well here, I figured I might as well look into European schools just in case. 

Also, any opinion on places like Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Heidelburg, or Tübingen? I was told by the German dept at my school that they would all be places to look at, but since they're non-philosophers, I wasn't really sure. I'm a bit hesitant about getting my PhD in Europe because of advice I received from a PhD at Keele. He basically told me if you get your PhD in Europe, it'll be one hell of an uphill battle getting a job somewhere (worse than in the US was the implication). So basically, if I'm going to study in Europe, I'm shooting for a place that has a good placement record. 

Have you looked at CEU? They are an analytic department but have a healthy continental presence and emphasize history of philosophy. Plus there are fellowships for international students. 

I don't know. Outside of professor Weberman, it doesn't look like any of the faculty really share my interests. 

I was in contact with a philosopher of mind at Freiburg who read one of my papers and said she would be really happy to work with me. However, when I told her that I had only bachelors degrees from the U.S., she said her university's rules would prevent me from enrolling as a Ph.D student. Apparently the norm for European universities is a M.A. prerequisite to the Ph.D. Can anyone confirm or correct me?

Thanks.

I had a little trouble deciding where to post this but this seems like a good place -

I just had a conversation with a prof at my school (british dude) who got all his degrees in the UK. He said all the European schools aren't looked on well. The only one that would be thought well of, in his opinion, was the Sorbonne in Paris; none of the others have a rigorous program. Then he said if he could go back he wouldn't have got his PhD in the UK, he would have come here (anywhere in America). When I asked why he said the overall community conversation is better here and therefore more enjoyable, you hate your life less. Something like that. So it seems like the climate for basic philosophical conversation within your community makes a large difference.

Is this professor including schools like Oxford and Cambridge in his judgment of European programs? I certainly don't see how one could maintain that Oxford isn't rigorous. 

No, he is talking about Europe as opposed to UK, since 'Europe' in this conversation meant 'those other guys'. He didn't say the same about the UK, he just said that he would have preferred to have done his PhD in America, looking back on it.

I've been a long-time lurker on both Philosophy and Political Science forums here and I've seen this same, if not stronger, sentiment in Political Science.  

I'm not sure exactly what the reasoning behind this is, but it might be due to methodology. 

The point I've often seen made is that if you get your PhD at a European university--barring Oxford and Cambridge--you'll be limited to European universities for positions.

Edited by tpop

Also, any opinion on places like Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Heidelburg, or Tübingen? I was told by the German dept at my school that they would all be places to look at, but since they're non-philosophers, I wasn't really sure. I'm a bit hesitant about getting my PhD in Europe because of advice I received from a PhD at Keele. He basically told me if you get your PhD in Europe, it'll be one hell of an uphill battle getting a job somewhere (worse than in the US was the implication). So basically, if I'm going to study in Europe, I'm shooting for a place that has a good placement record. 

I'm not a philosopher, but I can confirm that these are the three universities (and I might add Freiburg and Wuerzburg myself) that are known here for philosophy. I'm currently studying politics as a non-degree seeking MA student in Tuebingen. Fantastic medieval city, and wonderful philosophers have come through here over the last five centuries. Reading Hegel in a cafe here is really something else. As for each department's specific strengths, I will defer to the much more knowledegable users floating around the boards.