George Washington University

faithfullywaiting

I am a student there now in a graduate certificate program run by the SPHHS and the graduate Psychology Dept. (jointly).  Great school.  Great Public Health Dept.  Yes, tuition is outrageous!   If they give you a nice financial package - it will be a good place to go.  If you have to pay it all or go into that much debt - well - weigh your options against other schools you may have applied to.   Just my two cents.

I am a student there now in a graduate certificate program run by the SPHHS and the graduate Psychology Dept. (jointly).  Great school.  Great Public Health Dept.  Yes, tuition is outrageous!   If they give you a nice financial package - it will be a good place to go.  If you have to pay it all or go into that much debt - well - weigh your options against other schools you may have applied to.   Just my two cents.

Thanks for the response! Does GWU have a good rep for giving out money? GWU is definitely my top choice (after UW) but we will see. I am desperately hoping for opportunities to find funding so that I can go there! 

If you don't mind me asking, how's living in D.C. in terms of cost for students--is it as outrageous as the tuition?

So subjectively based on discussions with others, they have a fair to good reputation for giving out money in some form.  They will rely heavily on having you work as a TA of some sort.  Not at all unique.  Also they allow the basic Stafford Loan amount up to $37000 (maybe 37500) versus the standard $20,500 because of incentives made for many degrees in public health by the Dept. of Education.   Assuming you want to amass that debt.  I don't live in DC right now - it is an online/hybrid program so I have my periods of residency and most of my time is at my home.  Nice set up.   I actually did my MPH the same way at a different school.  But I have lived in DC and I am even considering a move back and yes, it is one of the more expensive cities to live in at least in terms of rent.   Bargains can be found but you would have to be more adventurous as to exactly where you live.   If you are looking for a brownstone in Georgetown - you can forget about it :)

I had my interview a couple of weeks ago and still haven't heard anything. They said not to be surprised if I didn't hear anything until mid-March, so there's still 10 or so days to go.

Thanks scntv!  Is there any funding for the program?  I have heard that there tends to be no funding for the DrPH programs at GWU??  So DrPH candidates pay 100% tuition for the the coursework?  It seems odd to me that there are no TA/RA positions?

There are 2 GTAships per cohort, so 2 out of however many they accept (i would guess 5 or 6) will get tuition covered and get a modest stipend, like a traditional PhD program. Other than that, it sounds like accepted candidates are on their own. I imagine they provide guidance and help finding grants, but you're responsible for finding grant funding or professors with $$ on their grants. It sounds like the way people fund this is fluid and changes year to year. I know there are a few merit scholarships they give out too.

Yup I received my rejection today by email from GW for the DrPH in Health Behavior. 

I am disappointed but who knows.

I was wondering does anyone know if they have a wait list? Just to know! 

• 1 year later...