Anyone applying for the funded HPC Summer School in Budapest, Hungary (Due March 9th)

TheFlyingScholar

Hi All,

I'm an NSF fellow, and they spam my inbox once in awhile.  That said, the recent thing they sent is fantastic:  a six day (June 1st to 6th) all-expenses paid trip to Hungary to participate in a High Performance Computing Workshop.  And it's open to everyone, not just GRF's!

Dear Fellows:

GRFP is pleased to share the following opportunity with you, sponsored by NSF.  Please contact Scott Lathrop (XSEDE) at NCSA, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Email: lathrop@illinois.edu if you have any questions.  Thank you, GRFP staff

Graduate students and postdoctoral scholars from institutions in Europe, Canada, Japan and the United States are invited to apply for the fifth International Summer School on HPC Challenges in Computational Sciences, to be held June 1-6, 2014, in Budapest, Hungary. The summer school is sponsored by the European Union Seventh Framework Program’s Partnership for Advanced Computing in Europe Implementation Phase project (PRACE-3IP), U.S. National Science Foundation’s Extreme Science and Engineering Discovery Environment (XSEDE) project, RIKEN Advanced Insti­tute for Computational Science (RIKEN AICS), and Compute/Calcul Canada.

Leading American, Canadian, European and Japanese computational scientists and HPC technologists will offer instruction on a variety of topics, including:

• Access to EU, U.S., Japanese and Canadian HPC-infrastructures
  • HPC challenges by discipline (e.g., bioinformatics, computer science, chemistry, and physics)
  • HPC programming proficiencies
  • Performance analysis & profiling
  • Algorithmic approaches & numerical libraries
  • Data-intensive computing
  • Scientific visualization

The expense-paid program will benefit advanced scholars from European, U.S., Canadian and Japanese institutions who use HPC to conduct research. Interested students should apply by March 9, 2014. Meals, housing, and travel expenses will be paid for the selected participants. Applications from students in all science and engineering fields are welcome. Preference will be given to applicants with parallel programming experience and a research plan that will benefit from the utilization of high performance computing systems.

Gisele Muller-Parker

Division of Graduate Education
National Science Foundation

I've collated information about the grant and put up a posted about it.  Looks like you can extend the trip or bring a friend or spouse along if you're able to pay the difference!

I don't think I can apply, but looks great for those who can!