Soliciting application feedback

Hi everybody,

Like a few others on this forum, my cycle is now unfortunately over, without any acceptances to a PhD program.

For myself and others who are considering reapplying, I'm wondering if anyone on here who has reapplied solicited feedback from the departments from which they were previously rejected? If so, who/how did you ask, and was the response substantive/honest/helpful in improving your odds?

(I know there is another thread on beefing up your application for another cycle, but there seems to have been only one person so far who asked for feedback and the response they received didn't appear to be very constructive.)

Thanks!

Hi there,

I started that other thread about applying a second time, but with a surprise admission no longer plan on doing that.

That said, I did ask the DGS at one program to which I applied for feedback. She noted that she wasn't on the admissions committee (which surprised me -- I thought the DGS always was, though I suppose it could vary by institution). She did, however, very kindly offer to dig up my file and look through it and offer her personal opinion on how it could be improved. I think it's probably rare to get that kind of out-of-your way response, but I do know several of her colleagues (and sort of name-dropped in my email), so that may have been a good nudge.

I think a more useful approach may be to go through your POIs. Tell them your situation, and let them know that you are enthusiastic about applying again in the future. Then ask them if they might be able to glean any insight from the adcom on what you can do to improve your application going forward, or see if they themselves are willing to glance through your file and offer their own opinions. 

I would just make sure they know that you are aware of the sensitivities of internal deliberations, but appreciate whatever personal opinions they can provide.

Hope that helps!

I emailed Penn State and didn't get any substantive feedback, but the DGS was very kind in writing back to me (on a Sunday afternoon!). So, I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see where I should be writing for feedback, and what I should be asking!

Thanks for the advice, packrat, and congrats on the admit! I think surprise admits are probably the very best kind.

Cupofnimbus, sorry to hear the feedback wasn't substantive. Did she simply acknowledge receipt of your email, or say it was a competitive year, etc.?

For those others thinking about asking for feedback, I just noticed that Bear had posted about this from a faculty perspective. Definitely worth a read:

I asked for a lot of feedback from people and rarely got good information, and never from a DGS. One DGS told me that my undergraduate grades were too low. Which is the last thing you want to hear, that something you did when you were 18 is preventing you from getting into grad school at age 30. Asking for feedback can't hurt though.

Cupofnimbus, sorry to hear the feedback wasn't substantive. Did she simply acknowledge receipt of your email, or say it was a competitive year, etc.?

She told me that they were unable to give individual level feedback, but she provided me average GPA and average GRE for the incoming cohort and past cohorts. That wasn't very helpful for me. GPA and GRE are one thing, but we all know those things aren't the things that get you accepted to a program!