Midwestern University Interview for upcoming Fall 2014

Today I went to MWU for my interview after having passed phase 1 to getting accepted into the masters program. According to MWU faculty, there were about 400 applicants and of those 400 only 150 were asked to interview. So if you get an interview, pat yourself on the back because you stood out, and your academics were impressive enough to be a potential candidate (this should reassure you about other programs you applied too). After the interview, as of 2/27/14, only 40 applicants will be accepted, 40 more will be wait-listed, and the rest will be rejected.

When you arrive on campus, you wait in a classroom with a large group of fellow applicants, and you are given a schedule of what time you will be taken in for your 2 interviews. You and three other applicants will be called on and then led to another room in which you await your turn to meet some professors who will conduct the interviews.

Each interview will be about 10 minutes long, and the faculty members really make you feel comfortable and calmer (but you'll still be nervous).

The questions they asked were interesting and not what I had expected. For instance, they asked me to list in order of importance, three characteristics and why I think one is more important than the other (and how it relates to the SLP profession).

In my next interview, I was asked a series of hypothetical, pseudo-ethical scenarios in a professional/clinical setting and how would I respond/resolve these issues. (These were the types of questions posed.)

Here's what they DIDN'T ask

(1) What are your strengths and weaknesses?

(2) Why you chose our program....

(3) What other programs have you applies to?

etc.... I did research types of questions that graduate interviewers may pose to potential candidates, but the MWU interview was different by nature.

According to MWU staff, interviews afford the university and the applicant a chance to present themselves beyond paper, what makes them unique and individual; you are representing yourself. That being said, make a good impression. Be on time, dress professional, be yourself, and be confident! You're great!

After your 2 interviews, you are then given a "clinical prompt." No worries, this is not a clinical scenario in which you pretend to be a clinician diagnosing a speech or language based problem (nothing in regards to articulation, aphasia, or the likes of any pathology or disorder)- you do not need extensive SLP knowledge to answer the prompt (the essay is more about understanding the underlying beliefs and principles of speech- I hope I am not too ambiguous for you). Just make sure you gauge yourself, you have 25 minutes, and write a proper essay (grammar, spelling, prosody, format like intro and conclusion) and make sure your points are clear and organized.

That will conclude your interview. MWU approaches the acceptance process by using a rubric in which they grade how well you performed- they score your interviews and essay. So there are key words and certain things they are looking for. My suggestion is emphasize the things crucial to speech therapy, look at their mission statement and vision. In order to even qualify for an interview you needed to have scored a certain number of points from your CSDCAS application, and if not you are not accepted into the program.

I hope this was helpful; just remember to stay calm cool and collected and you will do great! Be confident, and give yourself credit for making it this far! Good luck, and I hope you get into the schools you want to get into!

I was a little late to the application game and just received my interview invitation. It is scheduled for March 19th. Due to financial reasons I took a year off after undergraduate so I feel like I am totally out of touch with all of my speech path knowledge. I think I will be okay for the interview but just curious how specific the questions are. I've been going back on notes and stuff to try to refresh my memory but I am still a little nervous for any questions related to scnearios within the field.

Any suggestions or tips? Hopeful for good news for everyone!

Don't stress on speech-language pathology clinical specific questions or anything. My advice though is to bring a pencil and eraser! They will give you just a pen. Luckily a girl let me borrowed hers and I was so thankful she did!

I was a little late to the application game and just received my interview invitation. It is scheduled for March 19th. Due to financial reasons I took a year off after undergraduate so I feel like I am totally out of touch with all of my speech path knowledge. I think I will be okay for the interview but just curious how specific the questions are. I've been going back on notes and stuff to try to refresh my memory but I am still a little nervous for any questions related to scnearios within the field.

Any suggestions or tips? Hopeful for good news for everyone!

Definitely do not stress out about clinical knowledge at all in terms of the actual interviews and the essay. What you can do is go to the ASHA website and look at what the news is in terms of graduate school education- the reason I suggest that is because it may give you some ideas about what to mention, like key terms- for instance technology is at the forefront of speech language pathology. Check out ASHA to remind yourself of other integral components of speech that reflect an understanding of the field, and show that you possess these qualities which makes you a great candidate.

This is just a suggestion to give you an edge, but I am sure no matter what you'll do great! They are really nice and make you feel really comfortable! 

Phewf, that makes me feel a little better! I visited the ASHA site and printed out a couple things to look over so I am glad you said that. I also have already worked on a paper regarding technology integration in the therapy setting so hopefully that will be helpful in providing an edge. Thanks for the response!

Also, for the girls in the discussion. Did you wear a full blown suit for your interview or did you keep it a little more casual but still business professional (I.e. A button down and black dress pants) ?

I just wore a dress that was business-like. I would say definitely look professional since it is an interview, but I don't think that you need to wear a full blown suit. Business casual seems like a good option :) 

Also, for the girls in the discussion. Did you wear a full blown suit for your interview or did you keep it a little more casual but still business professional (I.e. A button down and black dress pants) ?

I just wore a dress that was business-like. I would say definitely look professional since it is an interview, but I don't think that you need to wear a full blown suit. Business casual seems like a good option :)

Okay awesome thank you so much! I was hoping business casual would be adequate :)

I still have not received an interview date. Is this normal? I am getting extremely anxious and nervous. I have not received a rejection letter though either. Any advice?

I wore a nice sweater and skirt, aka do look professional but you don't need to wear a suit (though don't be put off if most girls do). You'll be great!

I would suggest calling Midwestern and speaking with an admissions representative (or email them). Definitely don't assume anything until you've spoken with the school and clarified.

Has anyone who interview on 2/26 recieved information? I thought we would know where we stood after 2 weeks. 

No I haven't. I called yesterday and she told me I was still at interviewed status and the department is still reviewing my app.

So frustrating! In our interview they said we could hear back as early as Friday so that's making me super nervous. I loved Midwestern

Right! It's my top choice so that's why I called a week and a half ago to see if I had just been rejected but she said that the department still has my application.. so hopefully that's a good thing? The results board for MWU has been dead since the beginning of March! Maybe we'll hear something good this week :) 

• 2 months later...