Interview *maybe* cancelled... airfare already purchased

HicklePickle

I bought a non-refundable plane ticket and Amtrak ticket after confirming that I was REQUIRED to fly literally across the country (California to Connecticut) to attend a 2 hour interview to even be considered for my program. The interview was originally scheduled for this coming Monday. I just received an email saying that they may have to cancel and reschedule the interview for a later date due to a snow storm.

My biggest concern (aside from the huge cost of buying a new plane ticket) is that my flight leaves about 30 hours before the interview (I wanted to get my money's worth - explore the city, etc.) so now I'm worried that I'll end up in Connecticut without an interview.

What would you do? Can they actually cancel on the day of the interview?

They definitely can cancel on the day of the interview. It seems like snow day decisions are always made at the last minute. I would send them an email or give them a call explaining your particular situation, and ask if they can update you as early as possible. 

( I applied to the same school! Neat!)

I bought a non-refundable plane ticket and Amtrak ticket after confirming that I was REQUIRED to fly literally across the country (California to Connecticut) to attend a 2 hour interview to even be considered for my program. The interview was originally scheduled for this coming Monday. I just received an email saying that they may have to cancel and reschedule the interview for a later date due to a snow storm.

My biggest concern (aside from the huge cost of buying a new plane ticket) is that my flight leaves about 30 hours before the interview (I wanted to get my money's worth - explore the city, etc.) so now I'm worried that I'll end up in Connecticut without an interview.

What would you do? Can they actually cancel on the day of the interview?

If there is a snow storm, is your flight even going to make it? There might be a travel warning, and then airlines are usually more relaxed with their policies (I was able to change my flight with no fees because of a travel warning). Also, google airline nonrefundable ticket loopholes. I've heard that nonrefunable tickets are usually refundable because of loopholes and laws regulating it.

These snowstorms have been so disruptive on the east coast this year.

Fortunately they only seem to cause issues for a day or two at the most. If I were you I would keep your original flight plans, if the snow does cause cancellation of your interview it will most likely cause your flight home to be delayed/cancelled as well....hopefully the school will be able to fit you in during the time the airline is finally able to rebook you, it takes them days to recover and get everyone rebooked.

Watch the weather reports and be sure to pack a hat, gloves, boots and your warmest coat! Be prepared for an extended stay.

So this is a hilarious addition: I'm on my way to my first interview and the plane had an emergency landing because an engine went out. I'll be able to make it on time to the interview (assuming nothing else happens) but my second interview is the one that *may* be cancelled.

What if the universe is trying to tell me something? Haha.

But thanks for the tips everyone. I'm trying to stay positive.

"What if the universe is trying to tell me something? Haha"

It's probably hard not to overthink this based on your major but NO....think no pain - no gain. Think of the stories you'll be able to tell your grandchildren thirty years from now.

Good luck this weekend and week ahead, here in the DC area they can't yet tell us if we are going to get rain, sleet, or 20 inches of snow on Monday.

I'm an optimist, I'm preparing for snow-at least two feet!

I had my interview cancelled last Monday, thankfully I'm local so it's no big deal. I only figured out less than 24 hours before said interview due to an impending snow storm and I got like 2 inches of snow a wittle bit of ice to go with it. SIGH.