Are PhD Campus Visits Usually Paid For?

I've recently been offered a campus visit by one of the Lit Depts. to which I've been accepted.  I would love to visit the campus before I decide whether or not to attend, but like most graduate students I don't have a bunch of extra cash hanging about.  I was wondering if these visits are usually financed in part by the school?  The email didn't say anything about this and I was curious as to whether it would be appropriate to ask about financial accommodations made for hotels and/or transportation. Any advice, insight?

Edited by brod

I've been accepted to 5 schools so far. 4 of them have invited me to open houses and offered to pay for transportation fees (to a limit) and lodgings (some have you stay with grad students, while others actually pay for a hotel room). The 5th school has not invited me to an open house yet, so I don't know about that one. 

EDIT: Actually, one of those schools, Cornell, offered to pay for my hotel stay, but not for transportation. 

Edited by ReadingLisa

Hi ReadingLisa-- just curious, did Cornell offer to pay for your transportation? I wasn't really sure with them, and I don't know if I should ask or not.

I actually just checked the email, and no they never mentioned transportation costs. They did offer to pay for two-nights lodgings though. 

Ah, okay! Yep, that's what I got. Congratulations on your Columbia acceptance though!

Sorry to hijack this thread-- but yes, usually colleges have offered to pay transportation and put me up at either a hotel or with a graduate student. Cornell being the only exception to that so far.

Hi ReadingLisa-- just curious, did Cornell offer to pay for your transportation? I wasn't really sure with them, and I don't know if I should ask or not.

They said they don't have a separate fund for transportation but after I asked them to use my lodging money to defray my airfare and they were fine with it. (I figure I can find cheap lodging via arbnb)

Ah, okay! Yep, that's what I got. Congratulations on your Columbia acceptance though!

Sorry to hijack this thread-- but yes, usually colleges have offered to pay transportation and put me up at either a hotel or with a graduate student. Cornell being the only exception to that so far.

Thank you!! There's actually a good chance I won't make it up to Cornell for the open house since it coincides with Columbia's, but I might go the following there or something. 

Most of them are. And if they're not, they should be.

If schools really wanted the best, they're going to compete for the best. Keep this in mind: When a school pays you so they can have the chance to woo you, they're not only saying they want you, but they're also saying we have MONEY. While it's always nice to be loved, it's also a universal truth that all god's children need money.

I don't know what the norm is, but I assume it's customary for them to pay for as much as they can, whatever that may be.

The visit I went on, everything was paid for.  They kept costs low-ish by having me stay with another student, and asked if I'd be willing to fly out a day later to save the department some money.  But other than those, they paid for all my transportation, and 98% of the food I ate while I was there too.  I have no idea how typical this is.  It felt...pretty awesome though.

A lot of schools will offer up to a certain amount, which can go towards airfare/taxi/lodging. The lodging they might be able to get at a discounted rate or offer the option of staying with a student, so if you're a domestic traveller most if not all of your travel expenses might be covered. Of course be sure to ask before you make any plans and make sure you're clear on any qualifications for receiving your reimbursement (which receipts you need, if your name needs to be on them, etc.).

Thanks for the responses.  I'm going to plan on sending an email out early next week asking about expenses and take it from there.  Thanks again!