Biostatistics in the UK

sw12345

Hi everyone. I'm looking to apply to Biostatistics PhD program starting next year. I know school such as Harvard, Johns hopkins, Washington are top schools but I've been told to consider Cambridge (MRC Biostat) and Oxford in the UK as well. I'm just wondering if anyone had information about these UK schools and they compare with the US ones.

I don't know anything specifically about the programs you are describing, but I did talk to one of the faculty at Harvard during the interviews who is from Europe. His comments led me to believe that there is not as much funding to support biostats faculty/ students in the UK and continental Europe, in comparison to the NIH here in the US. This made it seem like many talented researchers from Europe end up coming to the US. Also, I feel like if your ultimate goal was to work in the US, it might be advantageous to do a PhD in the US since you could more easily travel to conferences and network with your future colleagues. On the other hand, if you are from Europe or the UK, it might be nice to be a bit closer to home.

• 1 month later...

You might consider the NIH Oxford Cambridge Scholars Program (http://oxcam.gpp.nih.gov/). It's generally aimed at biomedical sciences but I don't think biostats is necessarily excluded... It's pretty unstructured (no required coursework) so it would definitely take some planning to get your coursework in. Probably not the most direct route but it's something to consider.

Graduating with a degree in biostats from Oxbridge would give you plenty of credibility on the job market, whether in Europe or stateside. With a quick Google search you should be able to find a handful of faculty at top U.S. departments who have gone this route.