Stupid Thread

Cottagecheeseman

I wonder how many people do this. I remember I was the only person who did my math homework in pen. People are like, why do you do that? And I was like, I don't know. I really don't know. Maybe because I'm an arrogant showoff.

I did my math and logic homework and tests in pen. Can you guess what color of pen I primarily used? (Hint: look to my username). Though I did occasionally write logic homework in pink pen as well when I had a generous instructor who didn't mind. 

Google doesn't seem to help me with this question, and  there doesn't seem to be a forum devoted to financial aid shit, but does anyone know if it's possible to get a student loan with a stipend/tuition remission. If I attended Florida, though I have funding/tuition, there are some fees I have to pay every year, plus the start up costs I'll incur from moving there, and I was hoping to take out a modest loan to help cover that. But I have no idea if  you can still take out federal loans with stipend/tuition. Anyone know?

I'm almost positive you can. I just did my FAFSA the other day and there were no restrictions on the government's end in terms of your aid package. The FAFSA didn't even ask. 

Google doesn't seem to help me with this question, and  there doesn't seem to be a forum devoted to financial aid shit, but does anyone know if it's possible to get a student loan with a stipend/tuition remission. If I attended Florida, though I have funding/tuition, there are some fees I have to pay every year, plus the start up costs I'll incur from moving there, and I was hoping to take out a modest loan to help cover that. But I have no idea if  you can still take out federal loans with stipend/tuition. Anyone know?

You can definitely get loan money to cover living expenses will in school. However, I'm pretty sure that you can only use federal loan money to pay specific costs (ie. actual tuition and fees). You can get private loans for living expenses. FAFSA's website says relatively little about it but it does say that private loans can cover living expenses: http://www.fafsa.com/student-financial-aid/fafsa-student-loans

You can definitely get loan money to cover living expenses will in school. However, I'm pretty sure that you can only use federal loan money to pay specific costs (ie. actual tuition and fees). You can get private loans for living expenses. FAFSA's website says relatively little about it but it does say that private loans can cover living expenses: http://www.fafsa.com/student-financial-aid/fafsa-student-loans

oops I've had my scholarships/loans go over the amount of tuition I had to pay, and got a refund from my school, and then used it to pay for books, gas, and what little was left over, beer.

Actually, the federal loans go up to an amount they figure that includes tuition/fees and living expenses, so they will calculate some amount, then deduct the scholarships/etc that you are already receiving through your school, then offer you the loan amount that covers what is left. So it does cover living expenses. At least this was my own personal experience with FAFSA. The amount they figured was pretty generous according to my own personal living habits, so I was given enough to cover rent, books, etc. garbage that goes along with being a student. If you live frugal it's plenty. I really advise against this though, because I now have a lot of money to pay back and it's depressing.

I should edit all of this to say that there is a cap on total amounts you can receive through FAFSA and they will cap you at some point and cut you off, so keep an eye on that too.

Actually, the federal loans go up to an amount they figure that includes tuition/fees and living expenses, so they will calculate some amount, then deduct the scholarships/etc that you are already receiving through your school, then offer you the loan amount that covers what is left. So it does cover living expenses. At least this was my own personal experience with FAFSA. The amount they figured was pretty generous according to my own personal living habits, so I was given enough to cover rent, books, etc. garbage that goes along with being a student. If you live frugal it's plenty. I really advise against this though, because I now have a lot of money to pay back and it's depressing.

I should edit all of this to say that there is a cap on total amounts you can receive through FAFSA and they will cap you at some point and cut you off, so keep an eye on that too.

Yeah, I was offered 21,000 through the FAFSA, so (assuming I'm accepted off the waitlist at GSU) I'll be using it to help cover living expenses over the two years I'm there, given the modest stipend.

I just had a dream where we (this forum members) were all in a classroom and some professor was giving a lecture. There was one student who was sitting in the front making some hostile comments while the professor was talking. I knew right away who he was :lol:. I have been on this forum for way too long!

Hint: V 

I just had a dream where we (this forum members) were all in a classroom and some professor was giving a lecture. There was one student who was sitting in the front making some hostile comments while the professor was talking. I knew right away who he was :lol:. I have been on this forum for way too long!

Hint: V 

I had a dream the other night where I had memory in my dream of a dream I had months ago but in my waking life I had completely forgotten about. I dunno why but I find that supremely interesting.

Also you didn't need to hint I know who you were talking about ;)

I finished my honors thesis yesterday and am now incredibly hungover. But, I've never had this much free time before. What should I do with my time?

Drink.

I finished my honors thesis yesterday and am now incredibly hungover. But, I've never had this much free time before. What should I do with my time?

You could take up knitting. I've always wanted to but haven't had the time myself and I'd love to vicariously knit through you.