Should I retake the GRE?

RabiaBKhan

Hi all,

I am new to the forum! Just a brief intro; I am a 20 year old Pakistani (female) currently enrolled in the final year of BS Computer Science degree program. I am analysing my options for a masters abroad. The fields I will be targeting are Computer Sciences and Cognitive Sciences.

I have a GPA of 3.84 (4.00) and belong to the top 1% of my department (actually I am the topper). I recently took the test (for the 1st time) and got a score of 163 Q and 155 V. Extremely unsatisfying!

I had troubles preparing for the verbal as I am not a native English speaker. But I am still shocked as my English skills are actually very good or I thought! I am going to take TOEFL this week and am hoping for a 100+ score.

I would further like to add that I am real low on financial resources, been studying until now on scholarships (merit ones). Even the test fees were hard to pay! :(

I want to ask if someone could guide me on whether I should retake it or not?? I have a strong SOP and good recommendation letters! So any advices? Oh and I will not be applying is US universities. Most probably Europe, UK and Turkey!

Those scores look good to me!

You probably don't need to retake it. Even for native speakers, for people applying to masters in comp sci, a 155 V will pose little problems. Your Q is probably on the lower side for CS at top departments, but certainly within the realm of possibility.

Retake it if you think you can do better, but remember that GRE scores are the least important component of your application. If you have the time and money and think you can do better, go for it. If not, don't sweat it! :)

My only concern would be your Q score (and it is a very MINOR concern, because that is an excellent score), given that the bar for internationals seems to be ridiculously high. But I think the rest of your application would more than enough to stand up against someone with higher test scores, but lower class standing (and being female probably does help...since US universities are kind of unbalanced in CS, apparently)

Edited by emmm

First of all, congrats on that score! There's no reason you should be disappointed. The Quant score is excellent while the Verbal may not be as good but, as a fellow non-native English speaker, I can assure you it's still perfectly decent. So cheer up!

But I'm confused by a few of the things you've mentioned: as far as I know, GRE isn't a prerequisite/requirement in UK and Europe (at least not in my field). I could be wrong because I applied in the US but that's what I know. Further, you have alluded to financial constraints (same here, I feel your pain :( ). With that in mind, once again, Europe, UK, Australia are generally more expensive than US schools (also, keep the Rupee conversion in mind!). I'll give you a few examples from my field: Virginia Tech, Texas A&M, SUNY Buffalo are all high ranked and well-reputed engineering schools but have surprisingly low cost-of-attendance, if compared to similar-ranked (or even lower-ranked) schools! I'm sure there will be more such examples if you dig deeper. Just my 2 cents, it's your choice at the end of the day.

Finally, I agree with MastersHoping above: you don't need to retake the GRE - unless you're absolutely convinced that you can do better. And I'm pretty sure you'll easily manage a 100+ on your TOEFL. All the best for everything! :)

Thank you so very much for your insights and advice!! So I decided not to retake it and will just work on my SOP instead! Thank you once again!! I feel more confident now!

well as a matter of fact, u didnt hav to write GRE in the first place if u wanted to go to europe. u need to take TOEFL though. the important que is Do u plan to work in Europe?  or u want to come back to Pak?

I agree with the others. 155 for a non native speaker is actually very good. I think thats above 50% and youre not even native so thats awesome. Quant is on the lower side of the very good range... not worth retaking at all in my opinion.

Hamza Khan, I have seen a few programs in UK and Europe which require the GRE. As for the working part, I am not really sure! I think I will not likely stay in Europe after studies. However I wish to work in UK but not directly after my masters degree.

155V is around the 60th percentile so. Honestly your scores are pertinent for a masters candidate. The program I'm applying for is competitive and they suggested I aim for scores in the 60th percentile, so you should be good. Regardless, with a GPA that high you shouldn't worry. There's plenty of people who have gotten into masters programs with analogous GRE scores and a lower GPA than you've got.

Edited by dnfroes

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so I just wanted to add that I got my scores for GRE and TOEFL.

GRE: Quant 163 (87 percentile) Verbal 155 (66 percentile) Total: 318/340

TOEFL: Reading 29 Listening 27 Speaking 29 Writing 28 Total: 113/120

GPA: 3.84/4.00 Department Topper and belonging to top 3% of the entire university

Strong Letters of Recommendation (university is cooperating very well Alhamdullilah)

Think I have a good enough Letter of Motivation.

So will not be retaking the GRE! Thank you all for your helpful advises! May Allah (God) bless you all!