J-1 visa interviews

Hi 

I am sorry if this came up before I looked around and I only found topics about F-1 visa interviews. 
I was wondering what the J-1 visa interview was like. I can imagine there being some questions about why you choose the J-1 instead of the more common F-1. 

My reason to go for the J-1 as for most I think is the fact that my SO can get a job when he moves with me to the states. However the international affairs office of the school I was accepted to said I should make sure not to give the idea I am taking this visa because of the work options. 

So I was just wondering if others have any experience with this issue :) 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in a very similar position and am interested in any responses from those who have passed through this. If asked in the interview, what is the best response in order to justify a J over F visa, if the truth that we wish our partner's to have the right to work is inappropriate?

I did not do a visa interview myself, since Canada and the US have a visa waiver program/treaty/whatever. But I still had to apply for J-1 status and have the DS-2019 and all that stuff. Just no interview basically.

From our international student orientation, we learned that the most important part for both F-1 and J-1 is to establish that you have strong ties with your home country. Since both F-1 and J-1 are non-immigration class visas, they don't want us going to school in the US and then staying! At least they don't want that to be the intent of our time in the US. 

For many people on J-1, we have the 2 year home residency requirement. Also the J-1 is a "exchange" program. So, I would probably emphasize something like you want to get your PhD at a world-class school in the US and take this knowledge home to your own country etc. I think the J-1 2-year home residency requirement actually helps us prove these strong ties to our home countries. I think it's also important to be honest because I think giving off a dishonest vibe is probably not a good idea even if you are not hiding anything actually bad. 

Finally, like I said above, I haven't gone through this process, but this is just a thought. I don't actually know if it will be bad to say I want a J-1 so my spouse could work. I told all the schools I applied to this though, when they asked me if I wanted them to issue me a I-20 (for F-1) or DS-2019 (for J-1). I told them that I would like J-1 please, so my spouse could work and they said "okay!". They said the only reason they asked me why was that for most people without spouses/dependents, F-1 is a better choice. But of course, this is my school asking, not immigration officials! So, I would strongly suggest asking this question to your school's international student office!!