GRE Scores

cafeamericanooo

So I'm a junior taking the GRE in the next month or so to apply for graduate art history programs in the fall (mostly PhDs), and I'm worried about the GRE score.  I realize quantitative doesn't matter all that much, which is unfortunate because I keep doing weirdly above average on this part.  The problem is the verbal on all my practice tests have been 155-157, and I know this isn't high enough for somewhere like Columbia or Harvard.  That being said, does anyone have any insight to a minimum score needed to places a bit less well known in this field like USC, Northwestern, UCSB?  (I realize these are still great programs but not quite the hype that some of the ivy league programs have) Anything helps here!

Most programs will post average GRE scores for admits on their websites. Also, grad schools will most minimums, which are usually lower than what the department is hoping for. General opinion seems to be that to get into a good program you should aim to score 165 or above on verbal. You should definitely get a prep book (if you don't have one already), which will help with some skills (it isn't just about having a good vocabulary, though obviously that helps!). Good luck!

don't sweat the GRE's too much... and don't let a low score stop you from applying to places "like Columbia or Harvard"... they matter very little to admissions committees because (as well all know) they bear so little resemblance to anything you'll actually be doing in graduate school. rather, channel your energy and anxiety into a focused and sophisticated personal statement and an exciting/original writing sample. and learn how to read german.

Edited by qwer7890

don't sweat the GRE's too much... and don't let a low score stop you from applying to places "like Columbia or Harvard"... they matter very little to admissions committees because (as well all know) they bear so little resemblance to anything you'll actually be doing in graduate school. rather, channel your energy and anxiety into a focused and sophisticated personal statement and an exciting/original writing sample. and learn how to read german.

Thank you SO much.  Makes a lot of sense when put that way and you are the first to say so.  

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Megan Mullarky,

This is not to say that you should write them off.  Programs such as Northwestern, USC, and UC Santa Barbara, are just as competitive.  There are some other programs out there to me that seem less competitive, you might want to check out then. You will need to make sure you have other strengths in your program to stand out as well - like a demonstrated proficiency in a few other languages, a senior thesis, and advanced research skills.  I think more than anything, a solid statement of purpose with a thesis project in mind would be helpful to you as well.  You should nonetheless get moving fast, since application season is right around the corner....

Edited by betsy303

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the input!  (Not exactly sure why it seemed as though I have no other qualifications?  I already work on French and German, interned, have written my honors thesis and all of the above as well, I was merely inquiring about the GRE for good measure!)

Sorry if it didn't seem so, my apologies!

• 6 months later...