American Perception of Canadian Stats Programs

My question is, from an American view-point, which Canadian schools are the most highly regarded and well known for Statistics?

It seems to me that part of a strong application is having a degree from a highly regarded and well known university. My plan is to pursue a Master's degree in Statistics at a Canadian university, with the hopes of later applying to some American schools for a PhD.

As a Canadian, my perception is that schools like McGill, University of British Columbia, University of Toronto and Waterloo are all equally well regarded for Statistics in Canada. Is this true outside of Canada as well, or are some of these schools seen as "better" than the others?

Your opinion would kindly be appreciated!

My impression is that University of Toronto is very highly regarded and known for its rigor in most disciplines. Case in point: I have a friend who went to University of Toronto for his BS and then ended up at Berkeley for his PhD (in computer science). His GPA at U of T was just below a 3.8 as well.

I am from one of the universities you mentioned (only a Bachelors) and I have been accepted at Minnesota, waitlisted at CMU and have an interview at NYU Stern.

This is with a mediocre math background too.

It definitely doesn't have a bad reputation. However, I am also very interested in this question.

My question is, from an American view-point, which Canadian schools are the most highly regarded and well known for Statistics?

As a Canadian, my perception is that schools like McGill, University of British Columbia, University of Toronto and Waterloo are all equally well regarded for Statistics in Canada. Is this true outside of Canada as well, or are some of these schools seen as "better" than the others?

I think that these schools (the "Big 4") are perceived about the same, as a group ranking well ahead of other Canadian stat programs.

My impression is that University of Toronto is very highly regarded and known for its rigor in most disciplines. Case in point: I have a friend who went to University of Toronto for his BS and then ended up at Berkeley for his PhD (in computer science). His GPA at U of T was just below a 3.8 as well.

Thanks 'Applied Math to Stat'. I would say that the University of Toronto is likely one of the most reputable Canadian schools for stats, especially in Probability and maybe Machine Learning too.

However, I think it's worth noting that they only offer a 1 year, course-based Master's program, whereas most other Canadian schools offer a 2 year program with thesis. This makes me wonder if a Master's degree from Toronto would be considered "less valuable," as compared to a Master's degree from one of the other "Big 4."

I think that these schools (the "Big 4") are perceived about the same, as a group ranking well ahead of other Canadian stat programs.

Thanks cyberwulf! My feeling is that they are all about the same, as well. Even though McGill doesn't have a dedicated Statistics department, I think the university itself has a strong international reputation.