Deferring

philosophe

Question -- Have any of you heard anything about policies regarding deferring admission by one year? I've heard that departments will usually only do this in "exceptional" circumstances... but I was wondering if anyone had any information on that. 

Background: I've been working in higher education for two years as an administrator at a top 5 university, and the dream for me is basically to one day teach philosophy and hold an administrative role (dean, provost, etc). I was recently accepted to BU for an MA in Higher Ed, and it's only a year. (I'm also waiting to hear from Harvard, though not holding my breath). Anyway, I was wondering if I could even consider it an option to defer a year and get the extra credential. I'm not sure if this would be seen as overkill on the job market, but considering my eventual goals it seems like it might be well placed. 

I'm wondering if it's even worth it to ask, or if they will take this as a sign of lack of interest. If it comes down to either / or, then I'd definitely take the philosophy phd. 

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

I actually had this same question (different reasons for considering deferral, though). Any info would be great! I'm afraid to ask the department about their policy on deferral and make it seem like I'm uninterested/lazy/etc...

Cambridge PhD lets you defer by 2 terms. That isn't a full year - it's Michaelmas and Lent, so you could basically start in April 2015 instead of October 2014. I know you're applying for the MPhil but just for your mofo'ing information. 

I'll be a little tongue in cheek but my underlying point, I think, is serious. It's not clear that earning an extra MA in Higher Ed will help you with your end goals. This is because an MA in Higher Ed seems to suggest that you have proclivity toward MA programs that let any Tom, Dick, or Harry in, as opposed to a presumably required commitment to serious study. (I'm unabashedly and perhaps unjustifiably assuming that higher administrative staff at universities should have a commitment to serious study...) It's also true that most higher administrative staff usually have PhDs in some serious subject and have published a bit as well (at least at the schools I attended on both sides of the Atlantic). Education is not a serious subject - not because it cannot be, but because of the way it is taught and the quality of its students, which is a result of the relatively low standards of its programs. 

I know a few people who deferred from Phd programs to get an Mphil in english schools. That is hardly an exceptional case.

An MPhil from Ox or Cam is hardly the same as an MA in Higher Ed from BU. 

Cambridge PhD lets you defer by 2 terms. That isn't a full year - it's Michaelmas and Lent, so you could basically start in April 2015 instead of October 2014. I know you're applying for the MPhil but just for your mofo'ing information. 

I'll be a little tongue in cheek but my underlying point, I think, is serious. It's not clear that earning an extra MA in Higher Ed will help you with your end goals. This is because an MA in Higher Ed seems to suggest that you have proclivity toward MA programs that let any Tom, Dick, or Harry in, as opposed to a presumably required commitment to serious study. (I'm unabashedly and perhaps unjustifiably assuming that higher administrative staff at universities should have a commitment to serious study...) It's also true that most higher administrative staff usually have PhDs in some serious subject and have published a bit as well (at least at the schools I attended on both sides of the Atlantic). Education is not a serious subject - not because it cannot be, but because of the way it is taught and the quality of its students, which is a result of the relatively low standards of its programs. 

Thanks for your perspective. I think I'm only going to give this serious consideration if I get into Harvard... but I'm just swishing it around in my brain because I'd like to stay in Boston for another year. 

Thanks for your perspective. I think I'm only going to give this serious consideration if I get into Harvard... but I'm just swishing it around in my brain because I'd like to stay in Boston for another year. 

You're much better off getting the MPhil at Cam and deferring for that, in my opinion. That will help your writing (through supervisions), Cambridge, UK is more beautiful than Cambridge, MA, and it cannot hurt to have a postgraduate degree from one of the oldest universities in the English speaking world. 

@philosophe: An MPhil is a year (at Cambridge). A BPhil is 2 years (at Oxford). Cambridge MPhil is a research degree - you do essays with supervisors and a dissertation. No classes, but lots of reading groups and seminars. Oxford is taught classes.

You're much better off getting the MPhil at Cam and deferring for that, in my opinion. That will help your writing (through supervisions), Cambridge, UK is more beautiful than Cambridge, MA, and it cannot hurt to have a postgraduate degree from one of the oldest universities in the English speaking world. 

@philosophe: An MPhil is a year (at Cambridge). A BPhil is 2 years (at Oxford). Cambridge MPhil is a research degree - you do essays with supervisors and a dissertation. No classes, but lots of reading groups and seminars. Oxford is taught classes.

Helpful, thanks! 

Anyone have anecdotes about deferring admission for a year in order to do a Fulbright?

I've had friends who have done the Fulbright and they've had the best experience. It looks great on your record... If it were me I would definitely attempt to defer if Fulbright was an option. 

Bumping this thread because now that I've been admitted to St. Andrews, I'm wondering how much of a faux pas it would be to defer phd admission and apply again... I wonder if any school would be willing to defer admission without the condition of my absolutely accepting their offer

Bumping this thread because now that I've been admitted to St. Andrews, I'm wondering how much of a faux pas it would be to defer phd admission and apply again... I wonder if any school would be willing to defer admission without the condition of my absolutely accepting their offer

You should contact the school to find out what their deferring policy is. It might not be as difficult as you think. I know one student who was interested in two PhD programs: she accepted an offer from school A, but school B let her defer for a year (the expectation was that she could switch to school B if she wanted to, but she had no obligation to do so). I actually deferred an offer once, and it was as simple as filling out an online form.

Interesting - you think you'll turn down Rochester/Iowa for an MLitt at St. Andrews? I would be very curious about deferring without absolutely accepting an offer. It doesn't seem like it would be very advantageous for universities to offer this (especially given how contingent funding usually is), but who knows! 

Ninja edit: I forgot the most important part - congratulations!

Edited by MattDest

Interesting - you think you'll turn down Rochester/Iowa for an MLitt at St. Andrews? I would be very curious about deferring without absolutely accepting an offer. It doesn't seem like it would be very advantageous for universities to offer this (especially given how contingent funding usually is), but who knows! 

Ninja edit: I forgot the most important part - congratulations!

It's less about the need for the MLitt degree and more about the opportunity to spend a year abroad. I'm a 23 year old woman from California and it's just never going to happen again. So, I'm basically wondering how I can play this to my benefit... 

I agree with you that it doesn't sound very advantageous for the admissions office -- however, if they accepted my application this year, it seems like an additional degree in philosophy would only strengthen my application. 

I'm wondering about the most courteous way to breach the subject with my the departments that have accepted me. Ideally, I would like to have a shot at applying elsewhere... but if necessary I would probably settle to sign a contract paper stating my intention to enroll in 2015. So many thoughts a brewing.

It's less about the need for the MLitt degree and more about the opportunity to spend a year abroad. I'm a 23 year old woman from California and it's just never going to happen again. So, I'm basically wondering how I can play this to my benefit... 

Two thoughts

1) Having grown up in the northeast and moved to California several years ago, I can say pretty confidently that even if you have to go directly to Rochester or Iowa City, it will *feel* like moving to a foreign country. :-P

2) In all seriousness, don't feel like the m.litt is your *only* chance to go abroad. Academics get to do this sort of thing for their whole careers if they want to: you can be a visiting student as a doctoral student, a postdoc, or a visiting scholar while on leave as a faculty member.

EDIT 3) (Inquisition-style): Congratulations!!

Edited by perpetualapplicant

On the other hand, I feel like a year at St. Andrew's would improve your chances a lot on your second application cycle. Although it'd be nice to get deferrals from your two schools, I can't imagine you'd be needing to make use of them.

On the other hand, I feel like a year at St. Andrew's would improve your chances a lot on your second application cycle. Although it'd be nice to get deferrals from your two schools, I can't imagine you'd be needing to make use of them.

I just feel like it would be a risk, when right now I have funded offers... I agree, I think it would strengthen my application.

First, I need to decide if this is what I want. (And see if St. Andrews will fund me), and second I think I'm just going to have to have a go at drafting a polite deferral request and see if anyone will take me up on it. 

I guess my fear is that it would appear that I am disinterested in their programs if I ask to defer to attend a different school. But I suppose I have nothing to lose, it's not like they're going to unaccept me at this point just for indicating I might do something else. 

Edited by philosophe

I just feel like it would be a risk, when right now I have funded offers... I agree, I think it would strengthen my application.

First, I need to decide if this is what I want. (And see if St. Andrews will fund me), and second I think I'm just going to have to have a go at drafting a polite request. 

I guess my fear is that it would appear that I am disinterested in their programs if I ask to defer to attend a different school. But I suppose I have nothing to lose, it's not like they're going to unaccept me at this point just for indicating I might do something else. Right?

As far as I understand it, they're obligated to keep their offer to you up to April 15 assuming they don't learn something new about your credentials - e.g., you faked your transcript or something. Schools understand that people will want to consider multiple offers; they're not going to think less of you.