developmental psych versus HDFS

psychgi213

I am totally biased as hinted by my username! I love the interdisciplinary nature of the program. I originally planned to apply to both programs but decided on HDFS for all 7 applications. At the end of the day, my decision was based on my desire to do mostly outreach work instead of building a career in academia which by the way I am not entirely opposed to. The HDFS programs I applied to were a perfect fit, I mean PERFECT. Depending on your options, you may have ample opportunities to engage in either/both path(s). If that is the case, it helps to focus on who your POI is, what he or she is interested in and what is the fit with the career goals. Also, look for best funding offers and research centers within the department and throughout the university.

Still, if you have always dreamed of being called a "psychologist" then the decision is made....mostly.

I almost applied to human dev programs, but I stuck with developmental psych because my advisor told me it would be difficult to get into academia jobs with the other degree. Like the above poster said, they are different depending on if you are more outreach or research/academia focused. I think when in doubt, you may get more job opportunities with dev psych.

^My cons for HDFS were going to be the above.  A developmental psychologist can get jobs in psychology departments (which are everywhere!) as well as jobs in HDFS departments and other related places (schools of public health, schools of education, etc.).  A person with a PhD in HDFS can't get jobs in psychology departments very easily, if at all.  There are a wide range of other kinds of jobs available to them especially if they are willing to go non-academic (interdisciplinary departments like HDFS; professional schools like, potentially, social work or SPH; government, think tank, NGO, or research institute work).

So if you always dreamed of teaching undergraduates and working in an academic department as a professor, a developmental psychology degree *may* be the better way to go.

It may depend on the department, though.  For example, I considered Penn State's HDFS department when I was thinking about PhD programs (my research is in adolescent health) and I actually will be doing a postdoc at Penn State working with an HDFS professor, so I'm familiar with the program.  THe faculty there is just phenomenal and they have great resources and lots of money, lol.  They also track their alumni (http://www.hhdev.psu.edu/hdfs/graduate/alumni).  Most of their recent graduates have gotten academic postdocs, but if you scroll down to like 2011 and earlier, you'll see that there are quite a few professors.  A few are in psychology departments, but mostly they are in other HDFS departments and other interdisciplinary fields.  Many of them have also gone on to semi-academic and non-academic positionas as research scientists/analysts, either at universities or at research institutes/nonprofits/corporations.  (It's also not updated - I know one of the alumni on the list and she's not at the position that's listed; I think that was her first job out of PSU.)

I have to say, though, that the interdisciplinary nature of an HDFS program is a big pro.  I myself am in an interdisciplinary program (in public health) and I absolutely love it.  I think I may have gone a little crazy in a traditional psychology department - I was an undergrad psych major myself and I use social psychological principles in my work, but my work is very applied and I don't do experimental research.  All of my research is with community samples and is survey-based.  My interdisciplinary program allowed me to take courses in psychology and apply psychological theories and methods to my work, but I also steal some from sociology and anthropology as well, and I work and learn alongside anthropologists and sociologists and historians and political scientists and economists (and epidemiologists, biostatisticians, environmental health scientists, management scientists and policy analysts) who are are working on health problems.  I learn so much from their different approaches and it makes life interesting, plus there's lots of opportunities for collaboration!

Edited by juilletmercredi