Who else only got into their "backup school"?

Guest NotReadyToHangMyself:)

I finally received word that I was accepted by my backup school. No funding. My dream school still hasn't reviewed my file yet. :P

I never heard of such a thing and therefore can't comment other than to say I FUCKING HOPE NOT! :(

Maybe true. Though I got dinged from U Toronto quite early - letter was date April 4th and arrive in Malaysia a week later. I emailed UBC about my application and the secreatary said they've only started reviewing my application. The email was sent April 14th (Friday last week). Not sure why its taking them so long. Wish they would just say something - reject, waitlist, accept (**sigh**). Really hate this waiting.

Guest guest

U Toronto and UBC sent out the first wave of acceptances over a month ago, as I received mine then and had to reply last week (by April 15).

There was another thread (The bank?) on Canadian schools and how they send rejections in June, September or later. You best bet is to call them and ask what's going on with your application. My impression is that if there's a prof there willing to sponsor someone, then they're in.

Guest Guest

I only got into my "safety" school. But now after all of this, I realize that my "safety" school was not very safe and I'm very happy to be going there. And the program really is good for my specialization and research interests so I'm thrilled! :D And it's very well funded. Funded better than my top few choices would have been had I gotten in.

• 11 months later...
U Toronto and UBC sent out the first wave of acceptances over a month ago, as I received mine then and had to reply last week (by April 15).

There was another thread (The bank?) on Canadian schools and how they send rejections in June, September or later. You best bet is to call them and ask what's going on with your application. My impression is that if there's a prof there willing to sponsor someone, then they're in.

I also applied to UoT and I didn't hear from them 'till now; I phoned them one month ago and they told me that decisions will be made in mid April. And since I didn't receive an acceptance or an email, I think my rejection letter is just on its way to my home country from Toronto :(

• 2 weeks later...