Best city to go to grad school in your opinion?

Monika

Ooh and let's take it a step further: let's say (in a really more than perfect world) you got offered a TT position at both a kind of second rate dept in a place you love and a top dept in a place you're a little apprehensive about. All things considered, the offers are the same except for location. For instance, for me it could be Drexel v. Boulder. Which would you take?????? My goodness, I feel so naughty even thinking about this!!!!!

What about Washington DC? My wife has been accepted to Georgetown and it looks like we'll be spending the next 5 years (at least) in DC. Based on a short visit, it seems like a very livable city with lots of parks and great public transportation. There are lots of cultural attractions and the local job market is supposed to be better than most. Close to NYC, Philadelphia, and the coast. Also have direct flights to Europe (my wife is from Spain). The only down side is the cost of living...EXPENSIVE! Our other option is Tucson, AZ, where the cost of living is much lower but the local economy is not so great and you need a car to go anywhere.