Research or Teaching?

philstudent1991

Research or Teaching?   

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which are you more interested in pursuing in your philosophical career?

• Research
    • Teaching
    • Both equally
    • Other (please comment)

Personally, I go through moods where I prefer one to the other. One of the best parts about academia is that we get the ability to do both. I've only taught one type of course (and graded for a few others), but I'd really like to design courses in my areas of interest. 

I'm much, much more interested in teaching. My ambition in life is to find unmotivated students (like I once was) and show them that school doesn't have to suck by introducing them to philosophy.

I'm much, much more interested in teaching. My ambition in life is to find unmotivated students (like I once was) and show them that school doesn't have to suck by introducing them to philosophy.

Careful. They made Socrates drink the hemlock for that...

Personally, I go through moods where I prefer one to the other. One of the best parts about academia is that we get the ability to do both. I've only taught one type of course (and graded for a few others), but I'd really like to design courses in my areas of interest

Yes, that would be immensely fun.

I was lucky enough to get to effectively design a mini-course while TAing during my MA. The prof let the TAs set not only assignment-due dates but also assignment-topics for his/her tutorial sections. 

NOT ONLY due dates? Damn. I can only set the due dates :P

Edited by TheVineyard

I was lucky enough to get to effectively design a mini-course while TAing during my MA. The prof let the TAs set not only assignment-due dates but also assignment-topics for his/her tutorial sections. 

I was actually the instructor of several courses (designed the entire syllabi, lectures, etc.) but it was business ethics. I would love to do it with mind/epistemology/religion. 

I have a chance to teach my own logic course next semester, and I'm really looking forward to that potential. I'd get to write my own syllabus, choose my own textbook, etc. I'm really opinionated about textbooks too, so I'd love to be able to browse the various introductory textbooks and see if anything fits what I want, and if not, either write my own chapter notes for topics, or maybe use a book in conjunction with my own notes.

I have a chance to teach my own logic course next semester, and I'm really looking forward to that potential. I'd get to write my own syllabus, choose my own textbook, etc. I'm really opinionated about textbooks too, so I'd love to be able to browse the various introductory textbooks and see if anything fits what I want, and if not, either write my own chapter notes for topics, or maybe use a book in conjunction with my own notes.

Living the dream dude. I was able to co-teach a course on Eastern Phil with one of my professors last year and it was totally awesome. There's nothing more exciting than browsing various books, coming up with assignments, and figuring out what content you want to be included in the course. I'm pretty jealous.

That sounds seriously cool. I wish I got more teaching opportunities like that in my MA. Good luck, I hope it goes well!

I'm sitting here grading papers and reflecting on the fact that my shut-out might mean that my life turns in a direction that I may never get to do this again and I am extremely depressed about this. I've had some freedom to lesson plan this semester and I had a lot of fun doing that. I did a lot of research over the break to be ready for it, and I have little issues, hurdles, teaching problems that I'm learning from and I'm glad I got to do this, because it was something new and frankly, I just love to learn new things. It's hard for me to find things that really challenge me anymore. So I'm totally bummed, and I don't know what's going to happen in the future. I'm not sure if I'll reapply. I really thought I was going to end up teaching little freshmens Plato, or trying to break their minds and force them to think. But now I don't know what I'm going to do. I hope you guys enjoy your lesson planning. I had hella fun. This teaching thing is a bitch of a challenge but I love it and I'm glad I got the opportunity even if it never happens again.

I'm sitting here grading papers and reflecting on the fact that my shut-out might mean that my life turns in a direction that I may never get to do this again and I am extremely depressed about this. I've had some freedom to lesson plan this semester and I had a lot of fun doing that. I did a lot of research over the break to be ready for it, and I have little issues, hurdles, teaching problems that I'm learning from and I'm glad I got to do this, because it was something new and frankly, I just love to learn new things. It's hard for me to find things that really challenge me anymore. So I'm totally bummed, and I don't know what's going to happen in the future. I'm not sure if I'll reapply. I really thought I was going to end up teaching little freshmens Plato, or trying to break their minds and force them to think. But now I don't know what I'm going to do. I hope you guys enjoy your lesson planning. I had hella fun. This teaching thing is a bitch of a challenge but I love it and I'm glad I got the opportunity even if it never happens again.

There's something bittersweet about that Gene Wilder gif. You know, you don't have to give up on it. I know someone who was shutout for three years before they managed to get into a PhD program. And with an MA, you could always give teaching at a community college/high school level a go while you try to get into grad school. It's something to think about.

Echoing bar_scene_gambler's sentiments. It took me five rounds of applications and an MA degree but I've managed to get in somewhere. Maybe you can't afford to apply multiple times. Even if that's the case, philosophy isn't the only road to teaching if teaching is something you really enjoy (and I imagine it will never cease being a challenge, it's just that kind of task).

I hope you can keep your chin up, PhD Applicant! This whole process is really crappy.

Echoing bar_scene_gambler's sentiments. It took me five rounds of applications and an MA degree but I've managed to get in somewhere. Maybe you can't afford to apply multiple times. Even if that's the case, philosophy isn't the only road to teaching if teaching is something you really enjoy (and I imagine it will never cease being a challenge, it's just that kind of task).

I hope you can keep your chin up, PhD Applicant! This whole process is really crappy.

It's funny to say "really enjoy" because these freshman papers are real shit. :P So "really enjoy" is sort of like... I mean, I guess I don't even know what's so enjoyable about it. It's a funny thing. It's not like reading terrible logical moves or bad spelling and grammar turn me on. I don't know how to put it.