Decision: UBC vs UofT PhD Political Science (IR)?

SummerLH

So I found out today that I got admitted to both the schools (UBC and UofT) for their PhD program in the Political Science Department (I am doing International Relations/IR). Now its time to make the decision. Here are some of my pros and cons so far:

UBC

Pros:

1. It has the prof that I really like

2. Because it is a smaller school, I get the feeling that the department cares for its PhD students more, especially in helping them secure tenure track positions, other jobs, etc. 

3. This is sort of lame but its such a beautiful campus

4. Financially, UBC is offering me a better package

Con:

1. Not a big name like UofT and not really aware of its international presence (so smaller job market)

2. Pretty far from everything I have come to know and love about Ontario

UofT

Pros:

1. Its a top 20 school internationally and the best school for IR in Canada 

2. Because it is in such a central location (surrounded by many other Ontario universities), there is more opportunity to network and also more opportunity for scholarship and part-time research positions

3. I get to stay close to my family and friends, which is important to me

Con:

1. Dont have a perfect prof and not sure how much these big name profs care about their students

2. Kind of reiterating the previous point, cause of its big name I feel the university doesn't put as much effort into ensuring that its PhD graduates have successful future (ofcourse I am aware that majority of my success is dependent on my performance in grad school but not sure of the support they can offer)

3. Financially, UofT is offering not that great of a package

Now that I have laid out my perspectives of the two universities, I would love to hear some feedback about the two schools from someone actually studying there (or not!). I really appreciate your honest opinion and hopefully this will lead me in some direction in terms of decision-making.

Thanks.  

What makes you think UBC is a smaller school? It actually has about 10,000 more students than U of T. I also don't know why you think UBC (as a school) has a worse/less well-known reputation? It has just as much name recognition as U of T. UBC, U of T and McGill consistently battle for the top 3 spots in Canada and all have a stellar international reputation.

That being said, your post makes it sound like U of T is your actual preference. It sounds as though that's where your heart is and you are really just looking for someone to tell you it's the right choice! Anyway, it's a tough call -- good luck!

So I found out today that I got admitted to both the schools (UBC and UofT) for their PhD program in the Political Science Department (I am doing International Relations/IR). Now its time to make the decision. Here are some of my pros and cons so far:

UBC

Pros:

1. It has the prof that I really like

2. Because it is a smaller school, I get the feeling that the department cares for its PhD students more, especially in helping them secure tenure track positions, other jobs, etc. 

3. This is sort of lame but its such a beautiful campus

4. Financially, UBC is offering me a better package

Con:

1. Not a big name like UofT and not really aware of its international presence (so smaller job market)

2. Pretty far from everything I have come to know and love about Ontario

UofT

Pros:

1. Its a top 20 school internationally and the best school for IR in Canada 

2. Because it is in such a central location (surrounded by many other Ontario universities), there is more opportunity to network and also more opportunity for scholarship and part-time research positions

3. I get to stay close to my family and friends, which is important to me

Con:

1. Dont have a perfect prof and not sure how much these big name profs care about their students

2. Kind of reiterating the previous point, cause of its big name I feel the university doesn't put as much effort into ensuring that its PhD graduates have successful future (ofcourse I am aware that majority of my success is dependent on my performance in grad school but not sure of the support they can offer)

3. Financially, UofT is offering not that great of a package

Now that I have laid out my perspectives of the two universities, I would love to hear some feedback about the two schools from someone actually studying there (or not!). I really appreciate your honest opinion and hopefully this will lead me in some direction in terms of decision-making.

Thanks.  

I'm not currently a PhD student at U of T(I will be starting in 2014). As an MA student I have had pretty good experiences with the professors. They've been really helpful, considerate etc., although I've mostly been in touch with profs in areas close to my research interests (Comparative Politics).