Car necessary for fieldwork???

Hi everyone,

So I recently learned UCLA might require people to have a car for fieldwork, and that it sounds frowned upon to do otherwise. Coming from Berkeley where cars are few and far between and we all take public transit, this is strange to me. Has anyone attempted to do their fieldwork in a big city with no car? How did it go? And for those of you with a car, does having the car to get around really outweigh all of the expenses that a car demands?( Gas + 150 dollars a month insurance + parking  etc... )

Public transit isn't that bad in LA. The metro buses and trains are pretty good..they run at decent times( from am to pm) and quite frequently compared to caltrain or Bart.

The only thing is, the area isn't too great around UCLA - and your placement might be far from where you work and live. Your placement may also require you to leave in the middle of you workday or just require you to have full control over your transportation means so you can get to and fro ASAP. Basically... Bringing a car from the bay to la might be the best option.

I had more of a question on this from people who are doing fieldwork. Does your agency give you time to make up fieldwork because of car troubles. I assume people cannot perfectly always show up all the time, and my car isn't always going to be perfect because of its age. 

Field placements and schools will have ways to make up for lost hours, that isn't a worry. Depending on your type of placement a car may be absolutely necessary to get to different homes, facilities etc. Is car insurance that expensive in California? I live in Ohio and pay about $100/month for 2 cars.

The area around UCLA not that great? Huh?

I am not surprised that they are encouraging folks to have a car for field placements, given that you are competing with so many neighboring MSW programs for internships.

But UCLA has to anticipate that having a car is not feasible for all folks, and will work with you on exploring your options. I would contact whoever is coordinating field placements for students with your concerns, and learn just how much this will limit your field options.

I was asked during my interview with Penn if I have a car/plan to bring a car with me to school. Even though Philadelphia has a decent mass transportation system (or so I've been told), they still seem to want people to have their own forms of transportation. So for $150 extra a month to park, the Jeep and I are going.

you need a car in LA period.

Agree. Maybe you'll be able to manage during your first year but during your second year more than likely you'll be traveling a ton unless for some reason you've been touched by an angel and your fieldwork assignment is a bus ride from your place or class...And you don't need to leave or do house/ site visits. Yes, LA has a public trans system and people do rely on it for a living but considering traffic and the areas it serves the public trans system is disappointedly limited.

Also keeping in mind, that you might be able to work with the field coordinator with not having a car but also it'll be difficult to work with that because it could be easier to work with someone who does already have a car. You have to remember that in LA you will be competing for internships with not only other cohorts in your program but other students in other schools. (ie CSULA, CSULB, CSUDH, CSUF and USC...and they have a crap ton of students) So i don't think you'll have the luxury of picking and choosing...it is free work after all and you need them more than they need you.

Edited by Tarney4

I am not sure if I will get accepted to UCLA MSW program but if I do, I'm not planning on having a car. I don't think it's fair to expect someone to have a car - aren't there people who have been able to survive without one?

I am not sure if I will get accepted to UCLA MSW program but if I do, I'm not planning on having a car. I don't think it's fair to expect someone to have a car - aren't there people who have been able to survive without one?

Fair or not, if it's required, I would like to believe that they have been doing this for a long time and UCLA knows what's best for their students.... I doubt there have been people who have survived the program without having a car otherwise why would they require it? I am sure they are making it easier for the students.

My friend who is a 2nd year at UCLA makes a good point. If a job required you to have a car and you didn't have one...would you apply? If you do apply you would do your best to get a car if you really wanted the job...

You can always get a moped...

I just think that a grad school program requiring a vehicle is systematically filtering out students who may not have that resource - something that speaks against the core belief in social welfare - that people without possessions are just as valuable as those with them. I would hope that they would want to break down these kinds of barriers for students...

Does UCLA specifically state anywhere that a vehicle is required? Or is it just implied since it is LA?

Yep thats exactly how i feel. It is incomprehensible that they assume everyone can afford the numerous costs associated with buying and maintaining a car. Honestly its not a great first impression on their part, especially considering schools in other large cities told me it is not a problem for them to find closer field sites for me since i dont drive.