CV Labs: UCI v.s. UNC Chapel Hill

peiyun

Hi everyone, 

I apply for the Ph.D. of CS for the next fall and get offers from UCI and UNC Chapel Hill with funding. My research interest lies in Computer Vision. Both of two labs are quite fantastic and I do not know where should I go. Is there anyone can give me some advices? 

By the way, the professor from one school told me to have a chat with him before making decisions. What kind of topics should I focus on? Is it appropriate to ask for a chat with the professor of the other school? 

Thanks.

Edited by peiyun

I've visited UNC (for Physics Grad) and the area was very nice, and on the stipends I've received from the department it should be very
easy to live in the area. What I've heard about UCI however is that it can be very hard to live in the Irvine area, due to it being in Orange County. 

I would also try to get in touch with potential advisors at both places, the worst they can say is no, and if that's the case I think you
may have just found out where you would be more suited to go.

Are you able to visit either place? That might help you picture yourself spending the next 5 odd years at wherever. 

Yes, I am able to visit UNC, but did receive from UCI. 

I've visited UNC (for Physics Grad) and the area was very nice, and on the stipends I've received from the department it should be very

easy to live in the area. What I've heard about UCI however is that it can be very hard to live in the Irvine area, due to it being in Orange County. 

I would also try to get in touch with potential advisors at both places, the worst they can say is no, and if that's the case I think you

may have just found out where you would be more suited to go.

Thanks for your advice. I would try to have a chat with them. 

• 2 weeks later...