Program size

rj16

I've been accepted to two masters programs, one quite small and the other very large (in sociology). I'd like to hear opinions on the advantages and disadvantages of both. 

I went to a super small UG university and that was great because I got to know my profs really well and there's a real community feel. But is it the same at the graduate level? 

I really appreciate any insight you can give me to make my decision easier.

I don't have too much experience here (I went to pretty large schools, but my MA was in a small-ish program at a large University). But I think in graduate school, it's all about who you work with. If a small program has great faculty, a good research match, and coursework that you're interested in, that's great. The advantage of a larger program is that you can jump around, particularly if you're unsatisfied with your advisor - although you're not likely to have much time for exploration within a Masters program.

It's hard to tell if graduate programs are a good "community" - even in large institutions, faculty and graduate students work closely together. I'd argue that relationships are more tight in graduate school than undergrad anyways (that's why it's important to choose the right faculty to work with - you'll be spending much more time with them). It's always good to ask current students how involved the faculty are.

Edited by rbamattre

I went to a small for undergrad, big for masters, and small for PhD. I'm glad that I went to the larger school and larger program for my MA because it made it very clear to me that I thrive the most in a smaller environment that is more supportive and less competitive. By less competitive I don't mean that anyone in the smaller program was less competent or qualified, but that people were less paranoid that others were going to 'steal their ideas' and as a result were happy to brainstorm, support each other, etc. This was also reflected in the faculty, who generally ascribed to an 'open door' policy wherein if their door was open you were welcome to stop by and chat about whatever, regardless of whether or not you had an appointment. The MA program I was in was very competitive (not that anyone was more or less competent or qualified as a result) and that was paired up with me not having a great connection with my supervisor. As a result I felt incredibly isolated.

That said, it's different for everyone in every school.

I went to a small for undergrad, big for masters, and small for PhD. I'm glad that I went to the larger school and larger program for my MA because it made it very clear to me that I thrive the most in a smaller environment that is more supportive and less competitive. By less competitive I don't mean that anyone in the smaller program was less competent or qualified, but that people were less paranoid that others were going to 'steal their ideas' and as a result were happy to brainstorm, support each other, etc. This was also reflected in the faculty, who generally ascribed to an 'open door' policy wherein if their door was open you were welcome to stop by and chat about whatever, regardless of whether or not you had an appointment. The MA program I was in was very competitive (not that anyone was more or less competent or qualified as a result) and that was paired up with me not having a great connection with my supervisor. As a result I felt incredibly isolated.

That said, it's different for everyone in every school.

Thanks for your response. I hadn't though about it as an opportunity to explore my preferences for my PhD. I'm leaning towards the bigger school because I think it'll be a better research fit.