University of Iowa Fall 2014

gellert

I should be... Still waiting to hear from a few other schools, but Iowa is my top choice, so I'll likely go there. I've started looking into getting an apartment already (and am confused about it all). Just go tthe invitation to Visitor Weekend and it's so last-minute I'm not sure if I can take off work and make it!

• 2 weeks later...

I accepted Iowa and now need to deal with moving from NYC to Iowa on 8/1. Feel free to share your moving plans! :) I think I'm heading to Iowa City the first week of May to look for an apartment, since many are already posted with an 8/1 move-in date.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I accepted Iowa's offer to start their school psychology Ph.D. Program. I'm excited! I'm coming from Texas (Dallas area), so I'm anticipating some real adjustment. Anyone else coming from a much different culture/climate? Now to find housing and some funding! How are you guys doing on those fronts? Anyone know any apartments that would accept my guinea pigs? :P

Edited by TheDoc

• 2 weeks later...

I accepted Iowa's offer to start their school psychology Ph.D. Program. I'm excited! I'm coming from Texas (Dallas area), so I'm anticipating some real adjustment. Anyone else coming from a much different culture/climate? Now to find housing and some funding! How are you guys doing on those fronts? Anyone know any apartments that would accept my guinea pigs? :P

I just signed the lease on an apartment about 3-4 miles from campus that allows pets (with a deposit) and I know they had one more unit available. PM me if you'd like info on the place.

As for climate, prepare for cold winters and hot summers. Make sure you stock up on warm stuff: Now is a good time to look because it's on sale. You'll need a good coat, some snow boots, and maybe long underwear. Summers are humid and hot and can be oppressive to someone who's from a drier climate. Spring and Fall are the best parts of the year if you don't have allergies.

From what I've seen (I've only been to Iowa City 3 times though), things are really active in the warmer months. Everything kind of slows down in the winter though. People seem way more liberal than they are where I'm from, which is a plus. Oh, and they have a really large LGBT community, so that's kind of cool too. Seems like there's a big emphasis on the pubs down town and there's a substantial music and arts scene. (Iowa natives feel free to set me straight if my impression is off).