University of Washington - Seattle

So I was wait listed at UofW and just talked to Chrissie Chang. I emailed to ask her where I stood on the wait list and she informed me that their wait list isn't ranked like others would be, so there is no set line up of who is accepted next. 

I am wondering how many of you are accepted and planning on attending versus accepted and waiting on some other schools and maybe declining your offer? I have also been accepted to NYU so I think I will accept that offer while I am waiting potentially into the summer to hear from Seattle.

What's everyone thinking??

I think that if you are unsure about NYU’s program give it another month, but if you are comfortable and happy with NYU’s program take it! It will relieve a lot of stress (I’m sure) and allow you to move on to the next stage of this tiring process (lol). It would also be really great to get a jump start on finding apartments in NYC, as they are expensive and competitive. Good luck! I hope everything works out for you! 

I was also waitlisted (for the MedSLP program). Which program did you apply to? UW Seattle is my top choice, and I'll definitely go if I get in. But I still haven't heard back from all of my schools, and I haven't heard about funding either. It's hard to say what to do. I would hate to accept at another school, just to get in to the UW afterwards (although of course, I would love to get in no matter what). Not only would you lose your deposit, but I think it's kind of rude to the school you're leaving behind to commit like that, and then be like, "Just kidding, kthxbai." I worry that it might be a bad start to future professional relationships, too. Being waitlisted is the worst mindgame of them all! Haha.

If you have your heart set on the UW, then waiting's a smart choice. If you know you'll be happy at NYU, maybe that's the right place for you. Who knows - we all end up with the same degree in the end! :)

Edited by Papaya91

I've applied to MedSLP as well. Seattle has been my number one choice all along, and in general its actually a lot cheaper than NYU would be. It's tough for sure. Some students don't hear back until the summer so I can't just decline NYU and hope to hear by April 15th... I am going to wait it out for a bit for sure. I think I would be happy either way, but I would just be so proud of myself for actually getting into such a tough program to not end up actually going there (seattle). Also the admissions officer told me that they had a record number of applicants this year.

On the other hand, if I accept NYU and then withdraw later and lose my deposit, that would open up a spot for someone on THEIR wait list. THIS IS SO HARD!!! 

current grad here leaving my two cents. The biggest thing for you to worry about in terms of accepting another school and staying on the wait list of your top choice is the deposit you would lose. Don't worry about the professionalism of saying "sorry never mind" to a school. They know it will happen expect it even when wait lists start moving and/or funding decisions get made. This info came to me directly from a professor (one AT UW). 

nope not even at UW. Long story short I wanted a more clinically based (less research based) program. Plus I have no desire to go into Medical SLP. I am in my med placement now and while I like it I am move interested in (and always have been) school based SLP. I am happy to answer general UW questions or Seattle questions. Best of luck to the both of you. 

Well, I did it.  I've accepted the offer to UW.  I'm committed now.  

If you plan on attending, send me a message.  I know very few people out in Seattle and I'd love to meet my future classmates.

oh yay! I hear such great things about their Med program (and the Core) from my postbacc cohorts who went there. You end up being super prepared for a career in medical slp. 

ps: please ignore my typo on my above post. Just something you have to look forward to in grad school, lack of sleep and of basic spelling ability (and other elementary school level cognitive skills) as a result. 

Extremely. Rankings don't matter much for competitiveness but the newly released US News and World Report rated this school as the #3 program in the country. It's the only program in Seattle and has amazing connections to schools and medical facilities throughout Seattle and beyond. The research opportunities are some of the best on the West Coast and they are doing some amazing things out of their program. This all means they get a lot of applicants (although what school doesn't?) and they can afford to be selective. All that being said you never know until you apply. Depending on the number of pre-reqs you have (although from your signature I expect you have quite a few) you may be eligible for the post bacc program (their post bacc is a full bachelors degrees worth of classes so if you have that you would apply to the grad program. If you only have a handful of classes you could try the postbac). The postbac is (or was when I went) less competitive than the grad program, and many people in my postbac cohort ended up at the UW. Good luck with the rest of your schools!