Going into Ed. School fresh out of Undergrad

omnomnam

So I'm elated to have been accepted to every Ed. School to which I've applied. I have a very high GPA at a top tier undergrad, excellent recs, average GREs, and an eclectic resume.

However I have NO classroom experience. I'm very passionate about education and plan on working in the field, but I can't help but worry that I'm not ready for Ed. School simply because I'm young and inexperienced. Apparently the admissions committees think differently, which I should take as a sign of my being incorrect.

For example, I was accepted to HGSE's Masters in Learning & Teaching program. I'm having visions of us going around the room talking about our previous jobs, and me having nothing to talk about.

In addition, I can't help but feel a little apprehensive about potentially being a 23-year-old surrounded my mid-career professionals in their 30s. I guess I'm a bit worried about meeting people that are in my age group and stage of life, as superficial as that may sound!

Anyone in the same boat as me? Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Edited by omnomnam

I'm in the same boat - I am graduating with a B.S. in a hard science and would love to teach. I've applied to some Master of Education programs, and have been accepted to some and still waiting on others. I'm just crossing my fingers.

Considering Teach for America thinks students like you (at least sound like you in terms of excellent academics) can teach with 8 weeks (i think it's 8?) of programming on how to educate, I'd think you'll be fine. I mean, you're going to Harvard - clearly you're not a lame duck. Nothing can take the place of hard work and persistence. 

They must have seen something in your app that compelled them to take you. I had a classmate in undergrad with a similar background except she taught in developing countries over the summers in college, but she didn't get in. She applied to the teacher's ed program though, not learning/teaching. I think experience is weighed more heavily in teacher's ed. Her essays were extremely well-written and unique.

Don't worry...it's completely fine to say you have no work experience but you're interested in learning about X, Y, X topics. They value fresh grads at HGSE. I was one when I went, and that's how I felt.

I am a current master's candidate at HGSE, graduating this May. I came straight from undergrad and faced the same dilemma you have now.

This is probably not the straightforward answer you (and others) may want, but it pretty much depends on your attitude. As someone else said here, there was something about your admissions file that convinced the committee that you can pull off the master's courseload just as well as other experienced folks, and that you have great potential upon getting your graduate degree.

Ageism does exist at HGSE. There will be people speaking up during class by prefacing their thoughts with "Now, I've been an educator for the past ten years, and...". There will be PLENTY who see you in a different light once you explain to them that you don't have teaching experience (or basically any full-time professional experience). But that's the trick, I think -- that people pretty much cannot see that you are any "less" than others unless you go up to every one of them and tell them you just got your bachelor's degree. As long as you portray yourself in a way where it is evident that you are confident about your skills, abilities, and knowledge (regardless of how short or long your experiences have been), and take advantage of the myriad opportunities HGSE offers without letting your age/resume get in the way, you will be just fine.