Policy school PhDs

Nerdling

Hi, all. I've been perusing this site for some time now (thanks to everyone for their input), and it's been a pretty terrific resource.

I have a quick question regarding PhD programs at the big policy schools (HKS, SAIS, WWS, Fletcher, etc). I didn't see much on this topic, but forgive me if it's been addressed before. How do these PhD programs differ from their traditional political science-international relations program counterparts? Off the cuff, it seems like the policy school programs are significantly more interdisciplinary and not as quantitatively focused (maybe?) whereas the traditional arts and sciences political science programs more rigorously focus on a much narrower treatment of the subject. I realize this isn't the deepest appraisal of the two types of programs, but am I seeing things relatively clearly?

Assuming the above (and please correct me if I'm wrong), how would each degree fare in terms of job prospects? For traditional tenure track professorships, I couldn't imagine you could do better than a political science-IR PhD. But, for someone like myself (and others who've posted on these boards) who's more interested in working within the public sector (be it government, think tank or whatever, working on policy), would the more interdisciplinary degree be a better approach? The schools I mentioned above talk a bit on their websites about PhD job placement, and most say that a higher percentage of their graduates take jobs outside of traditional academia compared to more academic programs, but this seems anecdotal at best.

For the sake of clarity, I'm wondering what the potential differences wouldbe between a PhD from WWS as opposed to a PhD from Princeton's politics department, for example. Are there any noteworthy differences in skillsets? Professional preparation?

Anyone have any insight?

"...less narrowly-focused than political science PhD. It's also characterized by the inclusion of managerial sciences into the mix."

Words from the mouth of Indiana SPEA admissions staff last year. Sounds about right. I would bet the PhD in public policy is a lot like a PhD in Business Administration, but your "business" is politics and government.

Words from the mouth of Indiana SPEA admissions staff last year. Sounds about right. I would bet the PhD in public policy is a lot like a PhD in Business Administration, but your "business" is politics and government.

That makes sense, and is pretty close to what I've been able to put together. Any idea how that difference translates into job prospects, ie jobs in government, think tanks, or some other non-teaching setting, versus a traditional PhD?

I'm considering this route too. I know I don't want to be a professor, but from what I have seen a PhD will give that extra edge on certain positions or promotions in the public and consulting sector. Professional MA/MPA/MPP programs just don't seem rigorous enough and are de rigeur nowadays. (I'm lucky to have any job with just a BA...)

It might be hard to compare Public Policy Phd to Political Science PhD placement because there are many, many more Poli Sci than Public Policy grads. Looking at a handful of job postings for my own anecdotal research, most jobs specified candidates with a social science-type PhD as a qualification rather than specifically requesting one field or the other.

I get the impression that Public Policy is more quantitative than Political Science (sometimes) but not as quantitative as Economics. Posters at the TestMagic Econ board have claimed that Policy Phds have disadvantages when looking for academic positions (not many Public Policy teaching slots and traditional departments don't know what to do with you) but no discussion of the private sector...

I found it interesting that one of the Ivy Policy PhDs had a student who specifically stated in her public profile that her goal post-graduation was to start her own thinktank. I've always thought it would be unthinkable to admit you don't want to go into academia when applying for a PhD in most fields. I wonder if this example is common?

I found it interesting that one of the Ivy Policy PhDs had a student who specifically stated in her public profile that her goal post-graduation was to start her own thinktank. I've always thought it would be unthinkable to admit you don't want to go into academia when applying for a PhD in most fields. I wonder if this example is common?

In my doctoral applications I specially mentioned, even bolded, that I had no plans to teach or research in academia. I did just fine.

To the OP, you said that you are looking specifically at Princeton. Their PhD at WWS underwent some changes over the past few years, but it is still a very quantitative degree. In fact they say many applicants fall out of the initial round due to insufficient quant preparation. So that should allieviate some of the worries you have.

You might want to download their catalogs. They have inside some of the jobs that recent PhD alum have taken. It used to also be on the website, but I can't seem to find the link.

Professional MA/MPA/MPP programs just don't seem rigorous enough and are de rigeur nowadays. (I'm lucky to have any job with just a BA...)

This is my main concern. I really like the curricula of just about all of the MPA/MPP programs I've looked at, but even at 2 years they don't seem to be too terribly in-depth. For that reason, a PhD would be preferable, but if I'm not planning on going directly into academia, is the relative leg up I'd get with a doctorate over a master's worth the additional coursework and dissertation writing I'd have to do en route?

In my doctoral applications I specially mentioned, even bolded, that I had no plans to teach or research in academia. I did just fine.

Out of curiosity, was this at a policy school program or a more traditional program? And, if you don't mind sharing, what were/are your job-related goals?