Questions about Canadian counselling accreditations

Djentbot

I've recently been accepted to an MA in Counselling Psychology program (at UWO) that would qualify me for registration as Certified Member with the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (CCPA). But, things are looking promising for me being accepted to another MA in Counselling and Clinical Psychology program (OISE) that would qualify me for registration as a Psychological Associate with the College of Psychologists of Ontario (CPO).

I've volunteered with a psychologist's practice for awhile now, and I know from doing intake that quite a few extended health coverage providers only cover the services of a registered psychologist. I'm wondering if anybody knows if that coverage extends to psychological associates, because according to the CPO website there is supposed to be no difference in range of practice between the two designations after a psychological associate goes through 4 years of post-masters supervised practice. I'm only interested in becoming a masters-level practitioner, at least for now, so the prospect of getting my doctorate isn't on my radar. I'd imagine having your services covered by extended health plans would make running an independent private practice much easier after my four years of supervised practice as a psychological associate. I've been calling insurance companies and trying to get in touch with the CPO, but I've been getting some conflicting answers. Does anybody in the field have any idea how this works?

I was also wondering if there's a difference between CCPA and CPO registyration in terms of job prospects immediately after I come out of grad school. Is finding employment as a psychological associate realistic?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edited by Djentbot