Ohio University 2014

Not for history, but I'm considering accepting my MA offer to their phil program. But I have a couple hesitations...like the hard to get to location and the cold weather. What do you think about those sorts of things? 

I attend Ohio University right now, and being in Southern Ohio, the weather really isn't bad (I can only compare it to Cleveland weather though). On average, it's about 10-12 degrees warmer than Cleveland. 

I attend Ohio University right now, and being in Southern Ohio, the weather really isn't bad (I can only compare it to Cleveland weather though). On average, it's about 10-12 degrees warmer than Cleveland. 

I would be coming from Texas, so it might be a big change. Athens seems like a cool town though, do you like it and the university and everything? 

hardtack&coffee: Glad to hear it! I'm very excited to meet the faculty and students and start researching. I study modern German history, but I'm kind of at a crossroads- I studied Nazi Germany as an undergrad, but I'm considering making the switch to German Cold War history, preferably from a social angle. 

I was thinking Dr. Zakic or Dr. Curp might be good potential advisors. I also listed Dr. Trauschweizer as a potential advisor on my SOP because I did my undergrad thesis on Jewish-American POW's of the Third Reich. I haven't contacted any of them yet though; I should probably get on that...

Is there anyone else you can think of that might be interested in what I'm doing? 

Dr. Trauschweizer is an excellent scholar, as are the other two (though I have no experience with Drs. Curp or Zakic). Dr. Trauschweizer has an extensive command of the Cold War and (obviously) Germany. He is also an excellent lecturer and runs great graduate seminars (having taken a few of his graduate-level courses as an undergraduate tutorial student). I would advise contacting him.

I would be coming from Texas, so it might be a big change. Athens seems like a cool town though, do you like it and the university and everything? 

I love Athens. There are quite a few national/state parks within a 10 minute drive, many of the restaurants are locally-owned and even get their ingredients from a 30-mile radius, and we have a cool international film festival each spring. 

I also like the university a lot. I have a history minor and even work in the history dept.. The history classes I took were focused on Nazi Germany/the Holocaust, and the USSR as a whole and during WWII specifically. 

hardtack&coffee: Glad to hear it! I'm very excited to meet the faculty and students and start researching. I study modern German history, but I'm kind of at a crossroads- I studied Nazi Germany as an undergrad, but I'm considering making the switch to German Cold War history, preferably from a social angle. 

I was thinking Dr. Zakic or Dr. Curp might be good potential advisors. I also listed Dr. Trauschweizer as a potential advisor on my SOP because I did my undergrad thesis on Jewish-American POW's of the Third Reich. I haven't contacted any of them yet though; I should probably get on that...

Is there anyone else you can think of that might be interested in what I'm doing? 

OU has great faculty for German, Russian, WWII, and Cold War history. Dr. Miner teaches and does research on the USSR. 

Dr. Zakic is amazing. One of my favorite professors here. 

I love Athens. There are quite a few national/state parks within a 10 minute drive, many of the restaurants are locally-owned and even get their ingredients from a 30-mile radius, and we have a cool international film festival each spring. 

I also like the university a lot. I have a history minor and even work in the history dept.. The history classes I took were focused on Nazi Germany/the Holocaust, and the USSR as a whole and during WWII specifically. 

Have you happened to have taken a philosophy course?