AWA section

samstrong123

Hi All,

I need to know for AWA section -

1.during typing-

Do one has an option to select any Font/ Font size/ Line spacing- single/ double?

If so what should be ideal setting?

Or does it has one fixed format which any testaker have to follow?

If there is one fix format then what is it?= Whats font/ size/ spacing I have to use ?

2. For practice purpose I'm planning to type down some essays form topic list form ETS website. Webpage says in exma topic will come form it, but list is so big Issue (149), Argument (174). Any reasonnable guess? Any other source one can look for most common topics?

Let me know.

Thanks.

Sam.

prk_01234@yahoo.com

The PowerPrep provides the exact interface you will receive on the real GRE. So try a practice test on PowerPrep II.

Other than that ther are absolutely no format options available. You are given a text box to type and are not allowed to change anything (font, size, spacing etc.)

As for the topics, there are no common topics. It's just random. If you have enough time just look at all the topics and try to come up with sort of outline (your opinion, examples etc) for each topic. This way you will know "what to write" on any topic you are presented during the test and you can be able to save time as well. Hope this helps.

And do the PowerPrep II practice tests!!

Edited by RabiaBKhan

RabiaBKhan, Thanks for reply.

I'll pracitce on Powerprep-II, and try to have thoughts about each of the topics.

Othe than Powerprep, and Barron (i'm using) do you recommend any other online practice tests?

Thanks.

Sam.

prk_01234@yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I need to know for AWA section -

1.during typing-

Do one has an option to select any Font/ Font size/ Line spacing- single/ double?

If so what should be ideal setting?

Or does it has one fixed format which any testaker have to follow?

If there is one fix format then what is it?= Whats font/ size/ spacing I have to use ?

2. For practice purpose I'm planning to type down some essays form topic list form ETS website. Webpage says in exma topic will come form it, but list is so big Issue (149), Argument (174). Any reasonnable guess? Any other source one can look for most common topics?

Let me know.

Thanks.

Sam.

prk_01234@yahoo.com

1. There is a fixed format that you must follow. You can see this, as has been stated above, on the Powerprep software. You also will not be able to use shortcuts like cmd+u for underlining or cmd+c for copy.

2. I wouldn't worry about trying to prepare for all of the topics. You should be able to formulate a strong essay without that kind of over-preparation. Read through the high-scoring essays on the GRE website and see what they did, and think of how you can implement that in your own writing. Read through the newspaper to see how arguments for more "mundane" issues are presented.

I also recommend that you use Magoosh if you want to improve your Verbal or Quantitative sections, though it doesn't help as much with the Writing section.

I also recommmend magoosh for the V and Q sections.

For the essays, I will just be reading tips online about patterns in the high scoring essays and also reading examples of high scoring essays to get an idea of what the scorers are looking for. Outside of that, I think that actually practicing writing the essays more than once of twice (to get a sense for time) would be a waste of time.