Pursuing Medical SLP: stay cheap and local or go to MGH?

I want to do medical SLP and for a long time, I really wanted to go to MGH but now I'm not so sure. I got a partial scholarship from them, but I have a cheap local option in New York.

I was wondering how much of a difference going to a program with medical focus makes to get into medical speech. I've heard from slps working at hospitals that they never went to such a program and many of them stayed local and cheap, but they have been out in the field for about ten years now and they hadn't even known of medical speech programs at the time.

I know that medical speech is especially hard to get into. A lot of hospitals will not even consider hiring you if your clinical fellowship was not at a hospital. MGH provides plenty of medical clinical sites while a local program would not. But I have a guaranteed clinical externship at a hospital in New York if I were to stay...granted, the quality of the hospital isn't quite up to those of MGH's standard. Also, I'm not guaranteed a clinical fellowship year here in New York. Neither am I if I went to MGH since clinical fellowships are found on our own.

Would it make that much of a difference where I go? I still really want to go to MGH but the cost of tuition and moving to another city is really insane! I'm just wondering if I can justify that cost.

Your best bet will probably be to talk to current students, alumni, and faculty from the program. I can't say for sure, but I imagine if you get the concentration in medical SLP (or even adult neurogenics) that should help your chances of getting a job in a medical setting.

I'm also in NYC and the thought of moving to Boston both excites and scares me!!

Honestly, this is a tough one.  I know I've said this a million times before, but I have several SLP family members, one of which did medical SLP.  Most of them have told me it doesn't matter where you get your degree, so just go somewhere cheap.

HOWEVER, the medical SLP (who I am close to) chose to go to Rush, which focuses on med SLP, even though it is $$$.  Now, I'm not really familiar with the East Coast and different opportunities available there, but my Rush family member said that they had a much easier time trying to get a job (CFY) in the medical SLP field due to where they went to school.  There are four or five other SLP schools in the Chicago area, so there are normally a lot of SLPs around applying for jobs.  My Rush family member had a much easier time networking with people in medSLP positions because many of them had gone to Rush themselves.  This family member also felt like they had much more medical knowledge than SLPs from other schools in the area, which made them more marketable and comfortable in their position once they obtained it.

I'm sorry this isn't specific to the East Coast and MGH, but I think in my family member's experience, it was worth it to go to the more medically centered school.  You'll have to look into both programs to figure out what's best for you.

Thanks for the replies! That was my first post ever and I was surprised by the quick responses!  I think both of you are right. I would probably better off if I go to a medically focused program. That was reassuring to hear too, because I think I really do want to go but the cost of it is absolutely daunting.

Lisa, will you be moving to Boston? What's your first choice? Maybe I'll see you at MGH :) That would be totally awesome!! I'm scared and excited too.

Oh yeah...will you be going to the infosession for accepted students? I'm on the fence about it, mostly because I'm lazy and 

Sayjo, I almost applied to Rush actually. I backed out though. I can't be too far from new york cuz of the boyfriend...I'm told to just for the cheap program all the time, but most people aren't going for medical slp, or if they've managed to get into a hospital setting by now after going to a local school, it might be that the medical speech programs just weren't really done back then.

I want to go to MGH...I've been looking up the cost of rent and it's really discouraging. Now I'm wondering if I should go to NYMC instead (I'd have to wait until mid April for a response though. I think I have a good chance there. The interview went really well.) And if I decide to wait around for NYMC then I'm cutting it really close since MGH requires a deposit by April 16th.

NYMC is a medical school and it has lots of hospital placements in New York. It would be a lot cheaper to go there because for the second year, I can live at home and commute since 3 out of 5 days is at externships. I'm not sure about the quality of the placements though (like what types of hospitals), and they don't have a list of the affiliations available online. I'll probably email them to see what kind of placements they have. Ultimately, I do want to come back to New York to work at a hospital. I also want it to be a nice hospital. I think the MGH name will carry me through. I'm not sure if it would be viewed more highly than NYMC or if it'd be better to make my connections at NYMC. 

One of the things I realllyy liked about the NYMC program is that they had a class purely on using different medical equipment that a medical slp would use (ie. FEES) but MGH definitely tops them with their NICU sim lab!

I guess the main issue now is...make my connections in New York, or hope that MGH has enough of a reputation to get me a job here.

I'm about 80-90% sure about MGH...but I might change my mind if i can get to where I need to go with less debt

I'm not sure yet - going to wait until I hear back from all my schools and also see what financial aid looks like! I never really had a top choice, all the schools I applied to would be wonderful to attend. But I will be attending the MGH info session. I feel that I really need to visit a school before I choose to go there so it's important to me that I go. Plus I love Boston and will take any excuse to go up there! I bet if you go, you'll get a lot of your questions answered. The description says alumni will be there so you can see where they (and their former classmates) are working now.

I think MGH has a great reputation with people in health settings (especially those who work in hospitals). When I tell people who aren't in the field about MGH I have to explain it, but when I tell my pre-med/nursing friends - they've usually heard of it! It's one of the top hospitals in the country.

I'm also in the same boat as you about commuting - if I go to NYU that gives me the option to commute and save money. But the commute is 1.5 hours and I may end up renting an apartment anyway. If I go to MGH, that's guaranteed apartment renting for two years. I'm really going to trust my gut after attending both the admitted student events, and I'm still waiting on potential scholarship from NYU.

Hi all,

I'm pretty much in the same boat here with a twist--I'm really interested in working in a medical setting but it would actually be cheaper for me to move!   Ideally, I want to work with children in a hospital but I know this is a specialized interest.  So, I focused on applying to schools where I would have the opportunity to have some great medical placements.  I was accepted into BU and MGH, and LOVE both programs especially because they have great opportunities to work in the medical field in a city with some of the best hospitals in the country.  I haven’t seen MGH in person yet but I know for a fact that it has an outstanding reputation here (my mother is a nurse who works at a Boston hospital and speaks highly of it, and she’s hard to impress).  I’ll be at the open house, so I hope I’ll see you guys there @LuxAurorae, @lisa19 :)  !.  But, even though I'm from Boston, if I go to either of these schools I will still have to get a place to stay as my parent's will not be an option (too long of a commute).  Which means that these will be expensive.  Like, $100,000-in-debt-after-two-years expensive.  My other option is Vanderbilt, which I know has amazing placements at Vanderbilt Children’s hospital.  And, this would be somewhat less expensive as Nashville is a much cheaper place to live.  Again, great program, great placements but is it really necessary to spend all that money?

What's really making my choice so difficult to just bite the bullet and choose one of these amazing med-speech programs is my acceptance into a school I have wanted to go to for a long time--San Diego State.  Even though the school is not medically focused per say, it is a great program and has the opportunity to work with bilingual speakers as there are many in the area.  So far I’ve heard positive things about the program and the faculty (and the city!) and I’m confident that I would do well there.  Plus, there is also a lot of opportunity to get involved in research, my other passion.  There is a hospital in San Diego but the chance of a placement in pediatrics is slim, according to the program director.  But, the best thing about this option, for me at least, is that it's really cheap!  I could actually save myself 80,000 dollars worth of debt by moving across the country.  Sounds crazy but I'm considering it...

Anyway, can you tell that I’m conflicted??  I have so many great options! Which, is a great thing--don’t get me wrong I am so incredibly grateful.  BUT this is causing me a lot of stress.  I can’t sleep at night and every time I think I’ve decided what my #1 choice would be I panic and start reconsidering my options.  I almost want to just pick a school out of a hat or something so I have chance to blame if I make the wrong choice.  Any thoughts?  Any one else as confused as I am?

I'm already having trouble deciding between two schools, so I can't imagine deciding between four!! I really believe that visiting the programs helps, and I think a big factor in where I choose to go will simply be my instincts. I would find out if BU or MGH can get you into the Boston Children's Hospital.. and Vanderbilt's Children's Hospital sounds perfect for you! $80,000 is a huge amount of money though, and any of the schools you choose will give you a great education. Even trying to think of advice for you is confusing! Will you have a chance to visit San Diego State?

Ladyinwaiting23,

You seem to be in a rather unique predicament, given you’ve been accepted to seemingly some of the best places! On that note, congratulations.

One thing you might be able to do is leverage these acceptances and see if you can use them to your advantage. Going to school is also a business in the sense that great schools want to attract and retain great students. They invest in students for many reasons, among many is the ambassadorship a graduate will carry as they progress in their careers. So my thought is, if you like MGH so much, perhaps just call them and explain to them your situation. Maybe they might have some extra funding for you in this case? After all, asking is free J

In any case, you’re really lucky to have all these amazing choices, but I completely understand your dilemma.

Personally, I’m set on MGH. I was accepted and also accepted my offerJ

Good luck!

Erica

I'm already having trouble deciding between two schools, so I can't imagine deciding between four!! I really believe that visiting the programs helps, and I think a big factor in where I choose to go will simply be my instincts. I would find out if BU or MGH can get you into the Boston Children's Hospital.. and Vanderbilt's Children's Hospital sounds perfect for you! $80,000 is a huge amount of money though, and any of the schools you choose will give you a great education. Even trying to think of advice for you is confusing! Will you have a chance to visit San Diego State?

Thanks for validating my confusion! Lol.  It's hard because when I try to talk this through with other people they don't know about speech path schools and job placement for this field so they don't really have any advice for me.  I asked to visit San Diego and they said they don't do an accepted students day.  But, I was invited to Skype with the program director so I'll probably do that.  And I could potentially take a trip down to sit in on a class--and that's something I'm considering doing, especially because its a chance to get some sun :).  But I'm definitely visiting BU, MGH, and Vanderbilt so I can have something to compare it to.  If it's nothing like those programs then I'll probably choose Vandy, just because of cost.  Gahh Idk!!!

Ladyinwaiting23,

You seem to be in a rather unique predicament, given you’ve been accepted to seemingly some of the best places! On that note, congratulations.

One thing you might be able to do is leverage these acceptances and see if you can use them to your advantage. Going to school is also a business in the sense that great schools want to attract and retain great students. They invest in students for many reasons, among many is the ambassadorship a graduate will carry as they progress in their careers. So my thought is, if you like MGH so much, perhaps just call them and explain to them your situation. Maybe they might have some extra funding for you in this case? After all, asking is free J

In any case, you’re really lucky to have all these amazing choices, but I completely understand your dilemma.

Personally, I’m set on MGH. I was accepted and also accepted my offerJ

Good luck!

Erica

Hi Erica, wow, thank you for this.  I did apply to competitive schools with the thought that I would most likely be rejected so I was surprised by some of these options.  You make a very good point.  I did contact MGH about funding (I did not mentioin my other acceptances though) and they basically said "well we have loans for you!"  (haha...thanks but I'm still broke for the next 20 years?).  But maybe BU could offer something, I haven't asked yet.  That would take a lot of courage to leverage myself!  I could do it though and I think I will take your advice. it's not like it could hurt at this point since I've pretty much decided that MGH and BU are too expensive when I have Vandy as a somewhat cheaper option.  I have to do something because, knowing me, I'd just spend a month worrying about it without actually making any headway in terms of choosing a school or getting financial aid.  I'm just going to keep repeating to myself "asking is free!" haha.  Thanks for the advice!!!   MGH is a great school and you will be so successful there, I have no doubt :)

@erica yay! It's exciting to meet other people who are going to MGH. I wasn't sure about going to the info session but now I feel like I should just to meet you guys :) also it'd be a really good chance to confirm that that's where I should go.

@ladyinwaiting23 I think you should consider where you want to work in the future. If you want to come back to boston, going to a school in boston might help you make connections there and set you up for a job in the future. Of course, that's not the only factor. Seeing as your other options are also great schools with great reputations, I'm sure you'd be able to go back if you wanted to based on the schools reputations and the placements you'd be getting at these programs. It's kind of like my dilemma with nymc and mgh. Except the program that has a great reputation also costs tons of money. (Nymc isn't cheap either...I don't think any medically focused program is, but livings costs definitely do make a difference.)

Vanderbilt and San Diego state are both amazing programs! I almost applied there too but decided against it because I don't think I can realistically maintain a relationship if I had to take a plane to come back...that's really tough. You've got a lot of good choices. I think for you what it comes down to is...is the extra cost in boston worth it for the connections you'd be making in boston?

Vanderbilt:

+medical

+Vanderbilt children's hospital

+ less expensive living costs

- away from home city (I'm putting it as a negative assuming you want to go back to boston...if you're fine being anywhere in the country, i think it's even more of a reason to go to Vanderbilt or sds)

Keep in mind that could be a major con. I've heard of people gettin there CFYs through their externships.

San Diego state:

+ cheapest option

+ research

-slim chances of getting into children's hospital

- away from home

-not medical

Bu and MGH

+ close to home (support system...or distraction haha)

+connections made in boston

+Boston children's hospital

-expensive

I've taken out room the list what they all have: great reputations and affiliations

If I ws you, I think it'd be down to bu, mgh vs Vanderbilt. Between Bu and MGH, I've always been partial to MGH though. If you stay in boston, is there anyone you currently know who you could move in with or share an apartment with? That would definitely make things easier.

Haha...after doing that pros and cons list I thought maybe I should make one of my own:

Nymc:

+cadaver lab

+ course on using hospital instrumentation

+cheaper cost of living

+ ny hospital

-quality of affiliations? (I'm not sure. I know they have tons of placements all over ny, but I never got to look at an actual list because it wasn't available)

MGH:

++reputation across all healthcare

+ NICU sim lab (I want to do infant feeding and swallowing)

+ more research opportunities (I'm not sure if I'd pursue a thesis though)

+quality affiliations

- cost of living

What do you guys think? Lisa, maybe you should make a pros and cons list too :) if th cost is about the same for both programs, I'd personally choose mgh. I think the only real thing that's making me so hesitant is the cost.

Yes! I definitely will once I hear back from Emerson. I can't believe it's taken this long!

NYU and MGH are about the same cost. The biggest thing I'm unsure about is that MGH requires a lot more credits than NYU. So it's deciding if I want more "bang for my buck" and to learn as much as I can, or if I want to have a lighter and potentially less stressful time by going to NYU. Both programs will take me 6 semesters so that must mean less credits per semester at NYU. NYU requires only 53 while MGH requires 69, 72 if I want the ASD concentration which I will probably do, and then I know I'll have to take a chem or physics at MGH because they won't accept my astronomy. NYU will accept it. How do you guys feel about the number of credits required at MGH? Is it more than other programs you applied to?

On paper, MGH definitely seems to require more credits to graduate, but I have no idea what the actually means in terms of work. For example, some of my 3 credit hour undergraduate classes at McGill required more effort than some of the 4 credit hour graduate classes I took. It’s just hard to measure, at least for me it is. My best sense would be to just talk to current/past slp students at both schools and get a feel for what they say.  I’ve heard from most MGH students that organization is really the key to success, which I’m sure is true for grad school in general.

Sorry, it’s not a question with an easy answer, but I think you have a valid point regarding credit hours. 

Is the overall costs of both programs around the same? Personally, I would go to MGH but I'm partial. I'm not as impressed with NYU. I've just always felt like they were overrated. I mean I'm sure that the program is good, but I don't think it's good enough to be deserving of the reputation it has and they definitely overcharge.

One of the main things that drew me to MGH is that they have currently practicing clinicians at the hospital. They aren't hired purely off of their research or just for teaching. I want exposure to the newest information and I want to be a strong clinician first before a researcher.

MGH's course load is definitely a bit intimidating to me. I feel like I'll be giving my life away to school. Compared to other programs, it has more credits than the usual program, but I have seen a school with more credits. NYMC's degree is 75 credits - required. Everyone follows the same track, so the program is purely medically focused, unlike MGH which is more half half. 

I think it's the pre-grad school jitters. I wonder if everyone who plans to attend MGH feels the same way.

@LuxArorea  WOW.  You totally hit the nail(s) on the head with that list!!!  You literally touched on everything I have been going back and forth over for the past week.  I think I'm going to print this out and put it under my pillow to review the next time I have a panic attack over this!!  (Jk about the panic attacks, I'm being dramatic, but but maybe not totally kidding about the pillow thing).  Being in Boston is both a positive and a negative in that I'm so comfortable here--maybe I need to get away to shine?  Or maybe I'll leave and be so homesick that I'm miserable and immediately fail out?  Also, with regards to Boston Children's, I'm fairly sure I could get in there from any of the three schools.  I say this not because I think I'm that great but I do currently work there..so I would hope that my current connections would prove useful if I want to come back.  And, I do want to come back (at least I think I do right now, but what do I know? Maybe I'll find someplace amazing elsewhere).  In other words, I do have some connections in the works but I'm not totally sure how these will pan out after 2 years of SLP grad school.

I spoke to one of the tour guides who went to Emerson.  She also said a drawback to MGH was the larger class size.  She mentioned that she sat in on a course for Emerson, BU, and MGH and that the only school she could not see herself at was MGH because the class was huge and she felt like she was drowning in it and not absorbing enough information.  I think she had the right idea to sit in on a class because that's the best way to really experience the program.  I don't know if what she said is valid or not but I suppose that's also something that we could do to compare programs.  @lisa19 could you sit in on a course at NYU?  Maybe that would help.

Erica, I completely see where you're coming from. I've had 3 credit classes that were much harder than 4 credit classes. But a 20 credit difference has to mean something. Another thing that's frustrating is that some of the required MGH courses are ones that I've taken in my undergrad. I could always use the refresher, and I'm sure they go more in depth at the graduate level, but it would also be nice to not have to take them if I go to NYU. You're definitely right though that's not an easy question to answer.

LuxAurorae, I'm actually an NYU undergrad, which I believe is one reason why I'd have to take such less credits if I continue for the masters. That's also another factor in my decision between the two schools - do I stay at the school that's familiar to me or branch off to something new? Pros and cons to both, and that's a whole other conversation. Just to speak on behalf of my school, NYU is one of the top in the country for it's Tisch School of the Arts, Stern School of Business, and Law School. So I agree with you that NYU gets a ton of hype. Is it's SLP program on par with Stern? No - but they still have a great SLP program nonetheless. But I agree that it does not deserve the same kind of hype that other NYU programs get. And I also agree that they charge wayyy too much money. That's one reason I'm hoping I get into Emerson - I think it's less credits than MGH and cheaper than NYU! But because I still haven't heard back I'm not expecting good news.

Ladyinwaiting, as you have probably figured out if you read the paragraph above, I have sat in on NYU classes for the past four years  :P  but that's an excellent idea and I'll definitely see if there's a way I can do that at MGH.

Hey guys! Awesome thread. I'm the girl who started the other thread comparing Boston schools () Thanks for sharing your insights into MGH (and other schools). It's been very helpful reading what you guys think. :) I've been talking to my friends too but like ladyinwaiting said, people who don't know about the field usually see the tuition as the deciding factor and they didn't really understand my dilemma :T

I'm accepted to MGH and Emerson, and I can totally understand what ladyinwaiting said about picking a school out of a hat! I am so torn between them and really confused. I almost wish someone could just tell me which one to choose! haha

As of now, I'm leaning toward MGH but who knows what I'll be thinking at the end of the day... I seriously keep going back and fourth between them every day. I'm with lisa19 and I feel intimidated by credit number at MGH too. Emerson has fewer credits required, AND it has such supportive environment that I feel like I would have a much less stressful, happy life as a grad student at Emerson. Everyone at Emerson keeps raving about how helpful everyone (including their classmates) is. I've been to their Open House and I could tell that it wasn't something that they are just saying - I definitely felt that warm cooperativeness among the students and faculty while I was there. But I'm interested in medical SLP too, so what MGH can offer is too hard to give up, even after taking the cost into consideration.

Edited by shuca

@lisa19 Hey, sorry if I came off offensive in any way...I mean I do think NYU is a good school, but too pricey to be worth its reputation. And I definitely know those programs you've listed since I've been living in NY. And even with exposure to that reputation, I'm more impressed by MGH's reputation at least for the SLP program. Healthcare professionals know MGH even when they are not in the SLP field, which may be helpful later. For example, it could even be something as simple as being more respected as an SLP in the hospital. Also, at least for me, I have a preference for MGH because I'm more inclined towards medical slp.

Are you also interested in medical slp? Emerson has more of a pediatric reputation but in more recent years, I've heard they've expanded on adult settings and should be good for both. I really liked the environment at Emerson. I don't think I've ever been more impressed by the people at the program than I did at Emerson. I can tell they're very supportive and I've heard that they get you the types of placements that you want. But again, I want to do medical speech, and I really don't know if getting medical placements through them would be enough to make up for a non-medically focused program. I think I was interested in anything but medical speech, Emerson would easily be my first choice. The people are just so sweet and so supportive.

MGH's class size was also a concern for me. I think sitting in on a class is a good idea. @lisa19 It's good that you have a sense of how the classes are at NYU. I've heard they're supportive of their students there too. That's a tough decision...because by staying in NYU you can strengthen old relationships and build new ones in NY. And like the case I made for ladyinwaiting23, if this is where you want to work, then it's a real advantage to be making these connections during grad school.

LuxAurorae, no offense taken! Sometimes on grad cafe the topic of NYU's reputation will come up so I just wanted to address it from my own perspective. I don't have a preference towards medical SLP, but I don't really have a preference towards anything at this point. I definitely have my interests but nothing I'm set on for life. I do like how MGH has an ASD concentration, and I still wouldn't pass up the medical opportunities MGH offers. I like how it has a medical emphasis but still prepares you to work in any setting. I very well could see myself working in a hospital, but I also would be interested in a school setting. I'm also open to a variety of populations.

And yes there are many pros to staying at NYU! I have great relationships with the faculty which would only strengthen. I also currently do research at NYU and would be able to continue that if I stayed. I have work connections, friends, family, the option of commuting... the list goes on. That should be a new thread in itself because I'm sure a lot of us will be making the decision of staying near home or moving somewhere new.

I definitely have my interests but nothing I'm set on for life. I do like how MGH has an ASD concentration, and I still wouldn't pass up the medical opportunities MGH offers. I like how it has a medical emphasis but still prepares you to work in any setting. I very well could see myself working in a hospital, but I also would be interested in a school setting. I'm also open to a variety of populations.

I'm totally in the same boat with you! I'm somewhat more interested in medical SLP, but I'm not ruling out school-based SLP either. That's one reason why I'm having a hard time deciding on MGH, actually. If I were very passionate about medical SLP, I think MGH would be a no-brainer, regardless of the cost. But since I'm only "kind of" interested in medical SLP, I'm having a hard time justifying the extra $20K. BUT I completely agree with you that I wouldn't want to pass up the medical opportunities at MGH, either.

---

By the way, do you think most of the people deciding to go to MGH would actually be strongly interested in medical setting?? If that's the case, I feel like there might be some level of competition among the students. Since MGH is a longer program, students will be graduating at the end of the summer and if most of them are applying for medical SLP jobs (and there aren't that many medical CF jobs to begin with), then I think competition is bound to happen. If I go to Emerson (where not everyone is focused on medical SLP) and look for a job at the beginning of the summer, I feel like I may be able to avoid competition. Do you guys think I have a valid point here?? Personally, I really don't want to be in a competitive environment (which is why I find Emerson's supportive environment very appealing, too) so that's one thing I'm concerned about... :(

Edited by shuca

I'm totally in the same boat with you! I'm somewhat more interested in medical SLP, but I'm not ruling out school-based SLP either. That's one reason why I'm having a hard time deciding on MGH, actually. If I were very passionate about medical SLP, I think MGH would be a no-brainer, regardless of the cost. But since I'm only "kind of" interested in medical SLP, I'm having a hard time justifying the extra $20K. BUT I completely agree with you that I wouldn't want to pass up the medical opportunities at MGH, either.

---

By the way, do you think most of the people deciding to go to MGH would actually be strongly interested in medical setting?? If that's the case, I feel like there might be some level of competition among the students. Since MGH is a longer program, students will be graduating at the end of the summer and if most of them are applying for medical SLP jobs (and there aren't that many medical CF jobs to begin with), then I think competition is bound to happen. If I go to Emerson (where not everyone is focused on medical SLP) and look for a job at the beginning of the summer, I feel like I may be able to avoid competition. Do you guys think I have a valid point here?? Personally, I really don't want to be in a competitive environment (which is why I find Emerson's supportive environment very appealing, too) so that's one thing I'm concerned about... :(

Honestly, I'm in total agreement with @LuxAurorae, if you're on the fence regarding Med-SLP vs. school Emerson is the easy choice.  I'm a big fan of Emerson.  It's a great program, everyone is incredibly supportive (it's like a family over there--I loved the atmosphere when I visited), it's more affordable, and best of all: it's balanced.  While it's not heavily and solely focused on med SLP like MGH is, you CAN do a medical placement.  Or, you can do a school placement--they will help you get what you want.  Emerson does work with the hospitals in the area and I believe it when they say they can get you placed in a hospital if that's what you decide.  Now, if you were sure you wanted to work with adult populations I would think twice, but even then I would still say Emerson is trying really hard to work on shaking off the "pediatric-only" focus so you would still probably be okay.

Alternately, on the topic of MGH, I would not worry too much about jobs.  I mean I've never had to find a job as an SLP (obviously!) but I couldn't imagine it, especially coming from MGH.  On the website it advertises:  "Our graduates are known as being broadly prepared to serve in both educational and health care settings. Some of our graduates ultimately do both.  Graduates from a recent class had 100% job placement; more than 80% obtained their first job choice."

Now that doesn't necessarily mean that your job placement will be in the highest paid hospital/school on your first try but, really and truly, MGH is highly regarded.  God knows, the job market could change, but MGH really is one of the best around so if it's hard to get a job as an MGH grad, it would only be if the field suddenly turned into a really tough market for all SLP grads.

I don't think everyone going into MGH is into medical. I think they just get a lot of people interested or even possibly interested in medical SLP because they offer a specialty track for it and very few programs do. So, if you're not sure but you might be interested, you'd have the option of doing the medical stuff. Or you may end up preferring the school setting.

Actually, between MGH and NYMC, I think MGH is more balanced and NYMC is more medical. I'm very interested in medical but I think I'd be open to school settings too...I just haven't had enough experience yet to decide 100% (even though I'm leaning very strongly towards medical at this point). It's also why I'm interested in NYMC but would be afraid of committing there because it feels like I'd have to do medical once I graduate. I haven't had much exposure to other settings so I do want to give them a chance before I commit.

From what I've heard, MGH is 50/50, but they have more focus on literacy (unless you go for one of their specialty tracks). I think MGH is a good program all around. When I went to visit last time, I got to talk to some of the students and I think of the 4-5 people I met, only 1-2 were doing medical. (I was talking to them at their aphasia center though). One guy (yes guy! lol) moved all the way from Cali and his focus was on peds. But if I was less sure about medical, Id chOnse Emerson over MGH but only if Emerson was a cheaper option which it is. Because even if Emerson is known to be more peds focused, I know I'd get peds experience at MGH too and it has a stronger reputation. But at mgh youd be taking a lot of courdes that might be excessive. On the flip side, even though Emerson is/was known to be more peds focused, they get you the placements you need.

Honestly, it's a tough choice though because Emerson's environment is so supportive and MGH has a really large class size. I think it'd also come down to the type of environment you'd prefer.

Edited by LuxAurorae

Honestly, I'm in total agreement with @LuxAurorae, if you're on the fence regarding Med-SLP vs. school Emerson is the easy choice.  I'm a big fan of Emerson.  It's a great program, everyone is incredibly supportive (it's like a family over there--I loved the atmosphere when I visited), it's more affordable, and best of all: it's balanced.  While it's not heavily and solely focused on med SLP like MGH is, you CAN do a medical placement.  Or, you can do a school placement--they will help you get what you want.  Emerson does work with the hospitals in the area and I believe it when they say they can get you placed in a hospital if that's what you decide.  Now, if you were sure you wanted to work with adult populations I would think twice, but even then I would still say Emerson is trying really hard to work on shaking off the "pediatric-only" focus so you would still probably be okay.

Thank you for your input, @ladyinwaiting! Your comment definitely eased my concern about Emerson not being heavily medical focused. I just don't see myself working as a school SLP... but I'm an out-of-field applicant and I admit I don't have much exposure to either of the subfields at this point, so like you guys said, a more balanced program like Emerson might be good - and especially because my background is not in CSD, being in an extremely supportive environment like Emerson would definitely be good for me. I totally agree with what you said about Emerson in that regard; everyone really does make you feel like you have a big family there.

I don't think everyone going into MGH is into medical. I think they just get a lot of people interested or even possibly interested in medical SLP because they offer a specialty track for it and very few programs do. So, if you're not sure but you might be interested, you'd have the option of doing the medical stuff. Or you may end up preferring the school setting.

From what I've heard, MGH is 50/50, but they have more focus on literacy (unless you go for one of their specialty tracks). I think MGH is a good program all around. When I went to visit last time, I got to talk to some of the students and I think of the 4-5 people I met, only 1-2 were doing medical. (I was talking to them at their aphasia center though). One guy (yes guy! lol) moved all the way from Cali and his focus was on peds. But if I was less sure about medical, Id chOnse Emerson over MGH but only if Emerson was a cheaper option which it is. Because even if Emerson is known to be more peds focused, I know I'd get peds experience at MGH too and it has a stronger reputation. But at mgh youd be taking a lot of courdes that might be excessive. On the flip side, even though Emerson is/was known to be more peds focused, they get you the placements you need.

Honestly, it's a tough choice though because Emerson's environment is so supportive and MGH has a really large class size. I think it'd also come down to the type of environment you'd prefer.

I didn't know MGH had that many people who are not necessarily interested in medical SLP! Thanks for sharing that info. By the way, I see you are accepted to Emerson & MGH too, but from your previous posts I got the impression you are debating between MGH and NYMC, but Emerson isn't really on your current list of consideration (correct me if I'm misinterpreting your posts!) If I'm right in assuming this, would you mind sharing your thoughts on Emerson?? Is it because you are pretty sure you want to do medical SLP and you want the experience offered by MGH? Are there any other reasons?? Your candid opinion is appreciated :) I'm just trying to hear as many people's opinions as possible.

By the way I sent you a private message too, so check that when you have time :)

Hey guys!

It's such a relief to see people in the same boat as me - welcome aboard! :) Isn't it crazy that we have all this stress about where to go, when a few months ago we were submitting applications and praying for at least one acceptance somewhere? (I mean, I was already trying to come up with a contingency plan if I didn't get in ANYWHERE...)

Anyway, i was accepted to MGH and Emerson, and I'm definitely attending the MGH admitted students event.  I visited a couple years ago and absolutely fell in love with it.  I live about an hour outside of Boston, and I've become pretty well acquainted with the Boston medical scene rather unfortunately due to some of my sister's health complications.  I can say that that Boston is an absolute hub of medical and scientific research.  I know I'm pretty much preaching to the choir here - but having personally spent a lot of time in Boston Children's Hospital and MGH (the hospital itself, not the IHP), it has never grown old or ceased to amaze me.  I actually did some audiology observation a couple days ago at Mass Eye and Ear with MGH's aural rehab professor, and it was absolutely amazing.  ...so anyway - YAY BOSTON!  My point is that it is a GREAT place to be if you want to get involved in a scientific and clinical community.

I'm very interested in medSLP, but I think I would actually choose the adult neurogenic disorders concentration at MGH.  (Then again, I realize that the more I learn, the more my interests may change!)  One of the reasons I'm leaning toward MGH is the number of research opportunities. My goal is to be both a practicing clinician and active researcher, and I would ideally like to pursue a PhD if possible.  This is what made MGH stand out for me. While I could see that the community at Emerson felt very warm, it doesn't seem to have a strong research focus.

Additionally - for those of you interested in medical placements - during my interview with Dr. Lasker, she said that getting a medical placement is not very likely, and people go wherever they can get their Cs.  I appreciated her honesty, but I was also a bit disappointed.  (It also seemed a tad random because I hadn't asked about that, but maybe she was referring to my heavy science-bend essay and interests)

One other reason I'm leaning toward MGH (I promise I'm not a paid rep or anything!) is because of the connections to institutions like Harvard and MIT.  These are really great resources for networking and collaboration, and - though it may sound extremely blunt and very superficial - the "name dropping" aspect doesn't hurt on a resume at all. (Part of the whole grad school process involves building up a personal brand.  It makes me feel a little uncomfortable. but it's true...)

All that said, any Boston housing is going to be a challenge (I was looking at apartments online last night just for fun, and the prices were absurd.)  For those of you who don't live in the area, I would suggest looking into some of the suburbs.  Many of them are easily accessible by public transit.  Also, Emerson seems like an AWESOME program - that's part of the reason I applied!!  I'm definitely not trying to put them down - I just found that my particular preferences seemed to diverge a bit from their program structure.

...and I'm still waiting to hear back from NYMC, UMass, and a few other places.  NYMC seemed awesome too and I could definitely see myself there, but I think I'd like to be in the Boston area for gradschool and beyond.

AHHH this is hard!  But keep in mind - this is the best kind of problem.  Imagine if you could tell your past, awaiting-any-response self that you would ultimately have to make a choice between multiple schools that want you!! :)

P.S.  Sorry for continuing my novel of a post, but I also wanted to say that I'm excited to meet all of you that will be attending the MGH event!!! 

I appreciate all of your guys' insight so much!!!! Just 24 hours ago I had all but decided to go the less expensive route, but my heart cannot seem to let go of Boston and all of the opportunities it would bring as a world class medical hub. I never thought it would be this hard to decide- for some reason I thought that I'd magically know when I started hearing back from schools.

I've been reminded that this is a life long investment- even though we'll be paying off loans for probably another 20 years, the name will also stay with us forever and might ultimately open more doors if we work hard in grad school. I know people say it doesn't matter where you go for grad school for SLP, but I find it hard to believe that the experiences you'd gain at such an established, respected institution won't benefit you beyond what you might learn at a school with fewer resources. I think that if you were to take advantage of every opportunity at a school like MGH, it could absolutely be more worth it (adult neurogenic concentration, research opportunities, hook ups at the most respected hospitals in the country, etc.). I know that local schools around my area do not have the same sort of resources.

This all being said, I realize I might wake up one morning and go the other way again. I just have to remind myself to be grateful regardless and know that every choice is truly a good choice, albeit for different reasons.

Edited by Nala

Hi AMKersh and Nala!! Good to meet you guys here. :)

Ahhhhhh, last night when I went to bed I was 80% sure I wanted to go to Emerson and this morning after rereading my pro/con list and you guys' posts, I'm starting to feel unsure again!!!

Seriously I can't believe this. I've never been this indecisive before. I usually know exactly what I want, and I'm the kind of person who is determined and will go her way no matter what - even if other people tell me not to. lol The fact that I'm having such a hard time deciding shows how great of programs they both are, and it means I'll probably be very happy and satisfied whichever I choose. If this much of logical thinking isn't helping me, I'm starting to think that it'll come down to how I "feel" at the accepted students events. Like, do I feel good here? Do I get along with other accepted students? etc.

I guess I'm lucky I'll be able to attend both of the events! Looking forward to seeing you guys there :)

Edited by shuca