To go, or not to go...

kechemukwa

Is anyone else contemplating not accepting any of their offers and not going to grad school at all? Maybe I'm just totally distraught by my recent flurry of rejections, but I'm beginning to think that maybe I'm not ready for grad school yet. It's a hell of a commitment and I might like to do something else for a while first...

I was, until I realized that grad school was the only option that made sense for me. I mean getting a flurry of rejections is not necessarily a reflection of a lack of skill. You could just as easily be a terrible fit or overqualified. Don't let those get you down!

Grad school is a huge commitment, and going when you're sure you aren't ready probably isn't a good idea. But these feelings of nervousness and of inadequacy are pretty ubiquitous in grad school for almost everyone. If you really want to do something else, then go for it! But I think at this point, you really gotta assess how you feel before you do anything rash. For better or worse, this is a pretty big life decision here.

So really, is it the rejections? Do you feel as though you aren't good enough? And if you do, why did you even apply in the first place?

Are you going to PhD school straight out of undergrad? Personally, I'd advise against that, if you were asking my opinion. I know very few people who did that, and I know some very successful folks. I graduated college in December (a few years ago), started a masters in August (honestly, because I was bored in a new city and wanted to make friends), and I will say that I've grown and changed a TON since I graduated college. My values, priorities, and life goals have REALLY changed. I can't even imagine coming out of college and starting a PhD. You'll be surprised how much you change between 21 and 25 years old. Again, if you're asking me, I'd defer a year and do some soul searching.

Are you going to PhD school straight out of undergrad? Personally, I'd advise against that, if you were asking my opinion. I know very few people who did that, and I know some very successful folks. I graduated college in December (a few years ago), started a masters in August (honestly, because I was bored in a new city and wanted to make friends), and I will say that I've grown and changed a TON since I graduated college. My values, priorities, and life goals have REALLY changed. I can't even imagine coming out of college and starting a PhD. You'll be surprised how much you change between 21 and 25 years old. Again, if you're asking me, I'd defer a year and do some soul searching.

I think it's interesting we always assume people are 21 when graduating. I'm 24 and graduating. So, am I exempt? XD

I know I know, it really depends on life experiences, not just the number. :P

My first response was an acceptance and then came 2 rejections and I was like well...damn maybe I'm not ready for PhD.  What if I just don't have what it takes yet to start that part of the journey!?  I think that your feelings are pretty normal.  Why did you apply to the place you applied to that has accepted you?  Why have your feelings changed for it?  Or have they?