Continental Philosophy Suggestions

Neither Here Nor There

I want to get a PhD in philosophy, and my interests are in continental philosophy.

My application weakness:

MA in philosophy, but no BA in philosophy (BA is in an honors degree in English, and only a couple philosophy courses).
Both degrees are from smaller schools. The BA is from a baptist university in the states, and the MA is a private university in Canada with 4K students.
Languages: Fluent in Thai (I am not Thai, but I took Thai from a university in Thailand and in language schools) and made "A"s in four semesters of Koine Greek. But continental philosophy programs want German and French.

I know PhD programs in philosophy are competitive. What should I do before applying to Phd programs? Should I go and get another MA from a state school (or not necessarily another degree, but pick up more courses that I have not taken) and then apply to PhDs? Or should I spend a year working on languages?

Edited by Mangosteen

I can't really speak about the situation of someone coming from a small religious school...I'm sure others can help...but I will say that working on languages shouldn't be a top priority. Almost no graduate schools require it, and it is something that most graduate programs offer/encourage so you can do it there.

Edited by TheVineyard

I can't really speak about the situation of someone coming from a small religious school...I'm sure others can help...but I will say that working on languages shouldn't be a top priority. Almost no graduate schools require it, and it is something that most graduate programs offer/encourage so you can do it there.

actually, a lot of continental programs do require reading knowledge of languages. A lot more so than the standard Leiter analytic programs. But typically it's just reading level of french or german.

I'm not a continentalist, but this I think the best answer for this: if you can't get into a good continental program with your credentials already, to go to a better MA program. There are plenty in canada that do continental philosophy, and in the states Georgia State, Miami Ohio, and a few others have strengths in continental philosophy.

Edited by zizeksucks

I honestly think your best best is to work on a writing sample and do some language work. Things are hard enough for us, being continental-leaning applicants in a predominantly analytic environment, so the best thing you can do is make yourself into the strongest applicant possible. 

As someone said above, German and French matter in continental philosophy whereas it's not as big of a deal in analytical philosophy. I'm going to add German in the fall, but it still seems not enough.

Just to clarify (this is the case in my program [don't really want to say which but it's a well-known continental one] but I'm fairly certain it is the norm), learning one or two languages is required as part of the program rather than expected to get into the program. I think it's certainly a boost to your application if you already have some fluency in other languages but plenty of monolingual people get admitted anyway.

I want to get a PhD in philosophy, and my interests are in continental philosophy.

My application weakness:

MA in philosophy, but no BA in philosophy (BA is in an honors degree in English, and only a couple philosophy courses).

Both degrees are from smaller schools. The BA is from a baptist university in the states, and the MA is a private university in Canada with 4K students.

Languages: Fluent in Thai (I am not Thai, but I took Thai from a university in Thailand and in language schools) and made "A"s in four semesters of Koine Greek. But continental philosophy programs want German and French.

I know PhD programs in philosophy are competitive. What should I do before applying to Phd programs? Should I go and get another MA from a state school (or not necessarily another degree, but pick up more courses that I have not taken) and then apply to PhDs? Or should I spend a year working on languages?

I don't see the size or religious orientation of your degree-granting institutions as a liability. I got my BA from a small Catholic university. I wouldn't worry about getting an MA from a state school or anything like that. I think I would have to agree with bar_scene_gambler here. Work on developing a strong, well researched writing sample, and work on some french and/or german. I would add that it couldn't hurt to do some prep for the GRE (if you've not taken it or taken it but not done well). A strong GRE can really help put a strong application over the top.

Hi, thanks everyone. I appreciate it. It's good to know that a PhD is not out of the option, and I'll definitely be working on the writing sample and languages.

The Thai explains your username, then. Everyone I know who studied in Thailand is obsessed with mangosteen (I'm still not convinced it's a real fruit). Anyway, I second the advice above. Most--MOST--students don't come in fluent in French and/or German. You'll do that during your program. French and German can certainly help your chances, but your goose is far from cooked. I'd go ahead and apply. 

I don't know why anyone would suggest that it's necessary to be fluent in french/german going in to a program. In a heavily continental program it would certainly be helpful to be familiar with the basics of either or both, though. 

When I did my interview with Penn State, they told me outright that it was fine that I know absolutely no German since they had a German class specifically for philosophy students.

(I have a decent background in French, but by no means fluent).

When I did my interview with Penn State, they told me outright that it was fine that I know absolutely no German since they had a German class specifically for philosophy students.

(I have a decent background in French, but by no means fluent).

Yeah. I think my point is just that it's probably easier if you're familiar with some basics.

Yeah. I think my point is just that it's probably easier if you're familiar with some basics.

I mean...maybe...but it clearly has no impact on being accepted, and if being accepted is his goal, then he ought to use that time towards efforts that will benefit his application.

I don't think you should spend much time working on learning languages. As other people have said, you can do that while in the PhD program (and the the school will pay for your classes). For what is worth, while knowing foreign languages is useful in continental philosophy, the language requirements often ask you just to be able to translate a text. I think your time is better spent polishing your writing sample and maybe retaking the GREs if you think your scores can improve substantially. I also don't think you need to take more classes besides the ones at your MA, especially if your BA is on English. I just came back from visiting Vanderbilt and a lot of grad students got in with little background in philosophy. 

I would try reading widely in the traditions you're interested in (I'm sure you have already! but always room to read more), research programs that are a very strong fit for your interests, and work hard on a writing sample. As someone above has said, you don't need to come in fluent in the language of your choice. I don't understand why some seem to think you do. Only unusual students I know have done that. One thing you'll be doing while you're IN a program is learning a language. 

By the way, having interests in Continental is far from a liability if one applies to programs that, you know, specialize in Continental philosophy. 

No, I don't think my continental philosophy courses are a liability. I know that Emory says successful candidates show that they have taken French and German classes (I think I read that). I don't think a few semesters of languages make you fluent, though. Fluency is not my goal, but I think it's pretty weak to try to get into a PhD in continental philosophy without any appropriate languages. But the reason I asked is I knew you all may have a better feel.

All that said, I think the advice here about improving my writing sample and GRE is great advice. 

The Thai explains your username, then. Everyone I know who studied in Thailand is obsessed with mangosteen (I'm still not convinced it's a real fruit). Anyway, I second the advice above. Most--MOST--students don't come in fluent in French and/or German. You'll do that during your program. French and German can certainly help your chances, but your goose is far from cooked. I'd go ahead and apply. 

Yup. It's real and super, super good.

Write a sample and apply, and that will help assess if you are ready for applying

You may find that you are actually judged to be more ready for a philosophy phd than you think, or you may find out that you need to take more time to prepare.  

It doesn't hurt to make the attempt, and you seem to be sufficiently far along to at least take a jab at it.

You description makes me think things could go either way, but that is really only up to the quality of your application, especially the sample.  More credentials might help, perhaps, but you're at a point where other things on the application might be more important.  As long as your last degree was in philosophy, you might do really well.