Tulane MSW Fall 2014

Some schools yes, some schools no. Univ of Denver told me how much of a scholarship they were awarding me in my acceptance letter. Fordham and Tulane, after the fact. I asked about this months ago, and they said that it makes no sense to award people who have no intention of attending since it lessens the availability of funds for those who are actually going to attend.

If it turns out that you're given a full ride elsewhere, you'll only lose your $200 deposit. In the grand scheme of things, it's not that big of a deal. But be honest with yourself, how likely is the full ride? I haven't seen a single post on here stating a full ride. I definitely could have missed it, but I just think that MSW students really get screwed with funding across the board.

As for me, I'll probably be losing a $300 deposit. But I'll be following my heart when I do!

No you're right! I'm looking at it more in the idea that a few thousand dollars in financial aid won't make a difference in my decision, but being offered a teaching assistantship or graduate assistantship or something of that nature might! But the odds are I'm going to Tulane! I'm just excited and not making any sense in my questions! Most grad students probably get screwed with funding, it is a business.

But cool if you do decide to go to Tulane over your original choice we'll definitely have to meet up and all that fun stuff!! I definitely wish you luck in trying to figure that out as I can only imagine how difficult a choice it must be!

Have you seen the funding packages engineering grad students get?! It's crazy! That's where all the money goes. I get it, we aren't lab rats, and most schools won't let us teach, but yikes. My cousin just got accepted into some kind of engineering phd program (I think maybe molecular engineering?) and he has a full tuition waiver, a $3,000 a month living expense stipend, and will be getting paid to teach undergrads, though I forget how much per class.

If you bounce over to the other forums, most people say they'd never go to an unfunded graduate program. This will be my second ;)

Hey lifesaver, if you do end up going to Tulane, were you thinking about a certificate in addition to your MSW? I was originally thinking the certificate in disaster mental health, but now that I look at it more the family practice and global social work certificates look really appealing too!