Got accepted into a program with funding, but am lukewarm on it...should I go with the intention of maybe transferring out?

pearspears

Are you able to defer for a year? I think it's worth considering. Then apply to more schools next year and see if you get something better next time around or have a change of heart about this program.

It's a state school and it's for printmaking. It's not exactly an illustrious program (I got into a top ten one but can't afford it in a million years)  but it's one that I am interested in because it's in an area I want to stay in.So for another reason I'm leary of burning bridges so to speak.

I decided to go to a school that I was lukewarm about because it was the best financial offer (I got into favorite schools, too, but without the full funding).  After two years in the program, I am leaving for another program that I believe fits my interests/goals much better.  I have enjoyed a lot about my experience here, but it isn't right for me (and for reasons that I could have predicted).  So here's my advice:  If you're a glass-half-full type, you should go.  Treat it as a great opportunity to focus on your work, and forget about the expectations and prejudices you had when you applied to grad school.  But if you're a perfectionist, if you're highly critical, if you tend to beat yourself up for perceived mistakes, then maybe you should take a year to bolster your practice and reapply to other schools next winter.  

Oh, I managed to forget the most important part of my post:  Don't go if you're intending to transfer out.  It's not fair to the program and the people who will be counting on you.  

My transferring out was not premeditated; I arrived with the intention to complete the program here.  Saying goodbye to people (and failing to follow through on my commitment to them) is by far the worst part about my decision to leave.  

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say don't do it, but I'm one of the highly critical perfectionist types. If I'm not challenged, I don't try. It depends on if you can grow while you study there - if you don't see that, I wouldn't. Relationships with faculty are important, and if they perceive you're not into it, they won't put their efforts into you. It seems they want you, they're giving you a good deal, and if you take off it might be wasted effort.